moderated Question about JAWS at job interviews

Michael Walker

Hi,

When you went to job interviews, did you bring your own laptop with JAWS, or did the employer provide JAWS as an interview accommodation? I currently only have a desktop, but am willing to obtain a laptop. I am assuming that I cannot expect any interview accommodations, and that I should be prepared. Any thoughts?

Thank you,

Mike

Richard Turner <richardturner42@...>

I would never expect an employer to offer a laptop as an interview tool.
If you go to an interview, and you expect to take notes; you should take your note taking tools with you.
A sighted person would not show up and expect them to provide a pen and paper.
If the job interview involves some kind of testing, then that should be accessible unless the interviewer doesn't know you have a disability.

Richard 
"Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people." -- Eleanor Roosevelt

www.turner42.com

On Jun 28, 2021, at 3:28 PM, Michael Walker <michael.walker199014@...> wrote:

Hi,

When you went to job interviews, did you bring your own laptop with JAWS, or did the employer provide JAWS as an interview accommodation? I currently only have a desktop, but am willing to obtain a laptop. I am assuming that I cannot expect any interview accommodations, and that I should be prepared. Any thoughts?

Thank you,

Mike

Ekstrand, Pamela A. -ND

Hi Mike,

My last couple of interviews were by phone, but prior to that, I did not take a laptop to the interview. I explained how I work, but did not demonstrate. I would not expect any accommodation on an interview, but maybe others would disagree.

Good luck to you.

Pam

-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Michael Walker via groups.io
Sent: Monday, June 28, 2021 6:29 PM
To: jfw@groups.io
Subject: Question about JAWS at job interviews

Hi,

When you went to job interviews, did you bring your own laptop with
JAWS, or did the employer provide JAWS as an interview accommodation? I
currently only have a desktop, but am willing to obtain a laptop. I am
assuming that I cannot expect any interview accommodations, and that I
should be prepared. Any thoughts?

Thank you,

Mike

Lori Lynn

Hi,

What kind of job are you applying for? If you will have to take a test at the time of the interview then ask them about accommodations in advance. However, if the interview is just that, asking and answering questions, then I would ask about accommodations during the interview.

All of my work history was with the Federal government and they always had accommodations available.

Good luck with the interview.

Lori Lynn

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Michael Walker
Sent: Monday, June 28, 2021 5:29 PM

Hi,

Thank you,

Mike

Rod

Why would you need to bring a laptop to the interview?

Employers are required to provide reasonable accommodations at all stages in the employment process.

Do you have specific concerns?

Rod,

Rod Alcidonis, Esq.

Sent: Monday, June 28, 2021 6:28 PM

Hi,

Thank you,

Mike

Michael Walker

Hi Rod,

Technical interviews may require coding exercises. I am not sure how people who can see do those. At my prior programming job, it was just a phone interview.

Pam, what did they do at your in-person interview?

Thank you,
Mike

On Jun 28, 2021, at 6:33 PM, Rod <rodalcidonis@gmail.com> wrote:

Employers are required to provide reasonable accommodations at all stages in the employment process.

Rod,

Rod Alcidonis, Esq.
-----Original Message----- From: Michael Walker

Hi,

Thank you,

Mike

Ekstrand, Pamela A. -ND

Mike,

It was for a database administrator job, so they asked a lot of technical questions. They had already done a preliminary interview by phone, and flew me out to where they were located, so I had told them I was blind. We had a good discussion about how I was able to do my work, but I did not take a laptop with me. I actually am not sure what I would have shown them, since I would not have had access to their systems at that point. They also contacted a few references which I provided that were previous employers.

Let me know if there is anything else I can help with.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Michael Walker via groups.io
Sent: Monday, June 28, 2021 7:52 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Question about JAWS at job interviews

Hi Rod,

Technical interviews may require coding exercises. I am not sure how people who can see do those. At my prior programming job, it was just a phone interview.

Thank you,
Mike

Rod,

Rod Alcidonis, Esq.

Hi,

Thank you,

Mike

Michael Walker

Hi Pam,

This is very helpful. How did your employer for the database administrator position react, when you told them you were blind? How do you know when you should disclose your blindness? What other jobs did you have before that position?

Thank you,
Mike

On Jun 28, 2021, at 7:15 PM, Ekstrand, Pamela A. -ND <pamela.a.ekstrand.-nd@disney.com> wrote:

Mike,

It was for a database administrator job, so they asked a lot of technical questions. They had already done a preliminary interview by phone, and flew me out to where they were located, so I had told them I was blind. We had a good discussion about how I was able to do my work, but I did not take a laptop with me. I actually am not sure what I would have shown them, since I would not have had access to their systems at that point. They also contacted a few references which I provided that were previous employers.

Hi Rod,

Thank you,
Mike

Rod,

Rod Alcidonis, Esq.

Hi,

Thank you,

Mike

Cornelius

This varies from country to country, and specifically from company to company. For interview, not all of them need a laptop unless you have to answer certain test.

Sent: Tuesday, June 29, 2021 6:28 AM

Hi,

Thank you,

Mike

Rod

In that case, I would just have a laptop in my bag just in case though it is the responsibility of the employer to ensure that interviews are accessible.

Great employers would ask you upfront -- do you require any reasonable accommodations to participate in the interview?

If you were to be surprised with an exercise, I would then immediately make a request for reasonable accommodation right then and there. Not in such a way to turn them off and for you not to get the job but in a very tactful way -- something like -- "may I have your permission to utilize my personal laptop to complete the exercise as an accommodation? I have a screen reader on my computer that would allow me to perform the exercise."

you may then go even more into it and explain how you will be able to accomplish your work by using accessible technology.

Rod,

Rod Alcidonis, Esq.

Sent: Monday, June 28, 2021 7:51 PM

Hi Rod,

Thank you,
Mike

Rod,

Rod Alcidonis, Esq.

Hi,

Thank you,

Mike

Rod

Mike:

I understand your concerns but I would advise you to focus on your qualifications for the job irrespective of your blindness. You cannot control how anyone will act once they find out that you are blind. Go in there with the attitude that you are the best candidate for the role. if that is in fact the case, your blindness will not matter. this may be difficult for you to pull off at the beginning but this will help you with your career down the road.

It is self-defeating to spend precious time anticipating what others reaction will be about you while you could have been preparing to impress them at the interview with your knowledge, skills, and abilities.

Rod Alcidonis, Esq.

Sent: Monday, June 28, 2021 8:51 PM

Hi Pam,

This is very helpful. How did your employer for the database administrator position react, when you told them you were blind? How do you know when you should disclose your blindness? What other jobs did you have before that position?

Thank you,
Mike

On Jun 28, 2021, at 7:15 PM, Ekstrand, Pamela A. -ND <pamela.a.ekstrand.-nd@disney.com> wrote:

Mike,

Hi Rod,

Thank you,
Mike

Rod,

Rod Alcidonis, Esq.

Hi,

Thank you,

Mike

Kevin Minor

Hi.

If a possible employer offers an accessible computer, be prepared to use Narrator for what you'll be doing. It's a screen reader, and that's all they're required to provide. Also, some jobs are misleading. In April of this year, I started training with a company. I was assured the software I'd be working with was JAWS friendly. During the two days I was with them, I got a glimpse of what I'd be using, and JAWS worked great. What ended my short time with them was what was used for my training. That was totally graphical, requiring manipulating objects on the screen, and JAWS wouldn't work with it. I've found that places where I applied seemed very eager to hire me, but when I inform them how I'd do my job, they politely inform me either it won't work, or they take a month or two to figure out whether it will or not.

Just some thoughts.

Kevin and Jilly

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Rod
Sent: Monday, June 28, 2021 10:43 PM

In that case, I would just have a laptop in my bag just in case though it is the responsibility of the employer to ensure that interviews are accessible.

Great employers would ask you upfront -- do you require any reasonable accommodations to participate in the interview?

If you were to be surprised with an exercise, I would then immediately make a request for reasonable accommodation right then and there. Not in such a way to turn them off and for you not to get the job but in a very tactful way -- something like -- "may I have your permission to utilize my personal laptop to complete the exercise as an accommodation? I have a screen reader on my computer that would allow me to perform the exercise."

you may then go even more into it and explain how you will be able to accomplish your work by using accessible technology.

Rod,

Rod Alcidonis, Esq.
Sent: Monday, June 28, 2021 7:51 PM

Hi Rod,

Thank you,
Mike

Employers are required to provide reasonable accommodations at all
stages in the employment process.

Rod,

Rod Alcidonis, Esq.

Hi,

JAWS, or did the employer provide JAWS as an interview accommodation?
I currently only have a desktop, but am willing to obtain a laptop. I
am assuming that I cannot expect any interview accommodations, and
that I should be prepared. Any thoughts?

Thank you,

Mike

Kevin Minor

Hi.

Here's something I was told about being interviewed. If a company asks for an interview, they're interested in you. What you should focus on is to prove them right. Let them know you're just what they need, and you already know it for yourself. I've also learned that if a company has a problem with whatever I have, I don't want to work with them anyway.

Have a blessed day and don't work too hard.

Kevin and Jilly

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Rod
Sent: Monday, June 28, 2021 10:50 PM

Mike:

I understand your concerns but I would advise you to focus on your qualifications for the job irrespective of your blindness. You cannot control how anyone will act once they find out that you are blind. Go in there with the attitude that you are the best candidate for the role. if that is in fact the case, your blindness will not matter. this may be difficult for you to pull off at the beginning but this will help you with your career down the road.

It is self-defeating to spend precious time anticipating what others reaction will be about you while you could have been preparing to impress them at the interview with your knowledge, skills, and abilities.

Rod Alcidonis, Esq.

Hi Pam,

Thank you,
Mike

On Jun 28, 2021, at 7:15 PM, Ekstrand, Pamela A. -ND
<pamela.a.ekstrand.-nd@disney.com> wrote:

Mike,

It was for a database administrator job, so they asked a lot of
technical questions. They had already done a preliminary interview by
phone, and flew me out to where they were located, so I had told them I was blind.
We had a good discussion about how I was able to do my work, but I did
not take a laptop with me. I actually am not sure what I would have
shown them, since I would not have had access to their systems at that point.
They also contacted a few references which I provided that were
previous employers.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Michael
Walker via groups.io

Hi Rod,

Technical interviews may require coding exercises. I am not sure how
people who can see do those. At my prior programming job, it was just
a phone interview.

Thank you,
Mike

Employers are required to provide reasonable accommodations at all
stages in the employment process.

Rod,

Rod Alcidonis, Esq.

Hi,

Thank you,

Mike

Justin Williams

I make a habit of carrying my technology in a bookbag in any job situation, including interviews. Just in case. Not because I plan to pull at my laptop or iPhone and show them anything, but because that is what I do as a professional. I make a habit of that. I might need my pc for notetaking, or something else. But, I don't turn an interview into a show and tell. Don't make it a thing.

If it is difficult to carry your laptop, then don't.
Thanks,

Justin

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Michael Walker

Hi Rod,

Thank you,
Mike

Rod,

Rod Alcidonis, Esq.

Hi,

Thank you,

Mike

Justin Williams

Be careful about asking about accommodations in an interview if all that is
required is that you answer questions.
You only get accommodations if necessary during the interview process, or
when you get the job.

Thanks,

Justin

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Lori Lynn
Sent: Monday, June 28, 2021 6:56 PM

Hi,

What kind of job are you applying for? If you will have to take a test at
the time of the interview then ask them about accommodations in advance.
However, if the interview is just that, asking and answering questions, then
I would ask about accommodations during the interview.

All of my work history was with the Federal government and they always had
accommodations available.

Good luck with the interview.

Lori Lynn

Sent: Monday, June 28, 2021 5:29 PM

Hi,

When you went to job interviews, did you bring your own laptop with JAWS, or
did the employer provide JAWS as an interview accommodation? I currently
only have a desktop, but am willing to obtain a laptop. I am assuming that I
cannot expect any interview accommodations, and that I should be prepared.
Any thoughts?

Thank you,

Mike

Adrian Spratt

Mike,

I can't tell why you're wondering if you should take a laptop to an interview. What kind of job are you seeking? Is there something about it that suggests the need for a laptop?

Several people have suggested legalistic approaches to interviews. I'd try not to get hung up on what your rights are. Those arguments are for afterwards, if the employer treats you unfairly.

It may or may not be true that a prospective employer is required to accommodate a disabled interviewee. Assuming for the sake of argument that they are, it does raise the question about whether to inform an employer ahead of an interview of your disability. This is really a question of timing, and it has been a tricky one since long before the ADA. For example, do you mention or imply it on your resume? Or do you wait until you're invited for an interview? Or, yet another possibility, do you show up without your disability announced ahead of time in order to ensure the employer can't pretend you weren't qualified? After all, if they are willing to take the time to interview, it means they've concluded you are qualified. From that point it's a question of convincing them you're also the best person for that job. Which approach to take can vary from applicant to applicant and from employer to employer.

It's wrong to say that if the employer doesn’t treat you right, you wouldn't want to work there anyway. The reality is that rejection hurts, and rejection due to disability is galling.

You need to go into an interview with knowledge of what the employer does and, to the extent possible, the nature of the work environment. If you can show genuine confidence, great. If you don't feel confident, try to manage your discomfort. In either case, listen carefully for every signal the people you speak to send. Adapt how you present yourself accordingly.

In theory, meaning according to the law, an employer shouldn’t ask you at the interview stage how you'd function at the job for which you're applying. In practice, the moment is likely to come when you find yourself asking yourself should you explain anyway. My sense is that the answer is usually yes. An employer can always find a non-disability-related excuse not to hire a disabled person, so putting them at ease in this respect most likely can only help you. In addition, in that moment when you ask yourself the question, it's likely it will be because you have a sense you've piqued their interest. Go for it. Think in terms of how to convince your interviewers that you'd do a great job for them.

Good luck. I hope you're excited at the prospect of the interview, even though you're also surely nervous.

Hi,

Thank you,

Mike

Michael Walker

Hi Rod,

I do focus on my qualifications. I am also just trying to be as prepared as possible. It is helpful to hear others’ perspectives on this, for that reason. At my last company, I was a programmer analyst. They did a phone interview, and I was hired. Therefore, other formats will be new to me. For others who asked, I will likely apply for jobs like programming and database positions.

Best regards,
Mike

On Jun 28, 2021, at 9:49 PM, Rod <rodalcidonis@gmail.com> wrote:

Mike:

Rod Alcidonis, Esq.

Hi Pam,

Thank you,
Mike

Mike,

Hi Rod,

Thank you,
Mike

Rod,

Rod Alcidonis, Esq.

Hi,

Thank you,

Mike

Pat Byrne

When I was interviewing, mostly before ADA I mentioned in my cover letter that I was blind. I always thought that if I showed up for an interview withouut warning it might piss off the employer and endanger my future employment. If the blindness wnaring put them off, then probably I wouldn't have been considered anyway.
From what I've heard and guessed, since ADA an employer can still justify not hiring a person with a disability, for some other obscure reason. Then just suck it up and move on.
Pat ByrneAt 11:24 PM 6/28/2021, you wrote:

Mike,

I can't tell why you're wondering if you should take a laptop to an interview. What kind of job are you seeking? Is there something about it that suggests the need for a laptop?

Several people have suggested legalistic approaches to interviews. I'd try not to get hung up on what your rights are. Those arguments are for afterwards, if the employer treats you unfairly.

It may or may not be true that a prospective employer is required to accommodate a disabled interviewee. Assuming for the sake of argument that they are, it does raise the question about whether to inform an employer ahead of an interview of your disability. This is really a question of timing, and it has been a tricky one since long before the ADA. For example, do you mention or imply it on your resume? Or do you wait until you're invited for an interview? Or, yet another possibility, do you show up without your disability announced ahead of time in order to ensure the employer can't pretend you weren't qualified? After all, if they are willing to take the time to interview, it means they've concluded you are qualified. From that point it's a question of convincing them you're also the best person for that job. Which approach to take can vary from applicant to applicant and from employer to employer.

It's wrong to say that if the employer doesn’t treat you right, you wouldn't want to work there anyway. The reality is that rejection hurts, and rejection due to disability is galling.

You need to go into an interview with knowledge of what the employer does and, to the extent possible, the nature of the work environment. If you can show genuine confidence, great. If you don't feel confident, try to manage your discomfort. In either case, listen carefully for every signal the people you speak to send. Adapt how you present yourself accordingly.

In theory, meaning according to the law, an employer shouldn’t ask you at the interview stage how you'd function at the job for which you're applying. In practice, the moment is likely to come when you find yourself asking yourself should you explain anyway. My sense is that the answer is usually yes. An employer can always find a non-disability-related excuse not to hire a disabled person, so putting them at ease in this respect most likely can only help you. In addition, in that moment when you ask yourself the question, it's likely it will be because you have a sense you've piqued their interest. Go for it. Think in terms of how to convince your interviewers that you'd do a great job for them.

Good luck. I hope you're excited at the prospect of the interview, even though you're also surely nervous.

Hi,

Thank you,

Mike

Ekstrand, Pamela A. -ND

Hi Mike,

I had a few programmer/analyst jobs before becoming a DBA. My first DBA job was at a place where I had been a programmer, so they already knew me. I have been a DBA now for more years than I care to count. Generally, I feel more comfortable telling the interviewer up front that I am blind, but I have done it both ways. During phone interviews, I have found that it is not always easy to work that into the conversation.

I have been working remotely in my current job for over 15 years now, and many people I work with have come to know that I am blind, but I haven't made a point of saying it unless I feel there is
A need for someone to know.

I guess the bottom line for me is that what I do depends on the situation. I have worked for some wonderful people, and I have also been interviewed by some that I knew wouldn't hire me as soon as the interview started.

The biggest thing that helped me once I had some experience was providing references of people who I had previously worked with.

Pam

Sent: Monday, June 28, 2021 8:52 PM

Hi Pam,

Thank you,
Mike

Mike,

Hi Rod,

Thank you,
Mike

Rod,

Rod Alcidonis, Esq.

Hi,

Thank you,

Mike

On Tue, Jun 29, 2021 at 10:52 AM, Ekstrand, Pamela A. -ND wrote:
The biggest thing that helped me once I had some experience was providing references of people who I had previously worked with.
-
That has been a major help as one builds one's career over the years, but not so much anymore, at least if those people are still employed by the employer(s) you've left.

There have been a number of lawsuits, some of which the person who asked for a reference have won, which arose after that reference was not as "glowing" as they had anticipated and they felt it cost them the job they were trying to get (and that's even after having left the employer where the person giving reference works).

Many companies will not allow any reference of any sort to be given these days.  The only thing they'll allow is for HR to state that you were employed there and the dates of said employment.  Of course, some who give references will still do so as "a private individual" but they have to watch out in regard to what their employer allows or do it on the QT.

--

Brian - Windows 10, 64-Bit, Version 21H1, Build 19043  

It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not.

~ André Gide