moderated Question about JAWS at job interviews

Michael Walker

Hi,

When you went to job interviews, did you bring your own laptop with JAWS, or did the employer provide JAWS as an interview accommodation? I currently only have a desktop, but am willing to obtain a laptop. I am assuming that I cannot expect any interview accommodations, and that I should be prepared. Any thoughts?

Thank you,

Mike

Richard Turner <richardturner42@...>

I would never expect an employer to offer a laptop as an interview tool.
If you go to an interview, and you expect to take notes; you should take your note taking tools with you.
A sighted person would not show up and expect them to provide a pen and paper.
If the job interview involves some kind of testing, then that should be accessible unless the interviewer doesn't know you have a disability.

Richard

www.turner42.com

On Jun 28, 2021, at 3:28 PM, Michael Walker <michael.walker199014@...> wrote:

Hi,

When you went to job interviews, did you bring your own laptop with JAWS, or did the employer provide JAWS as an interview accommodation? I currently only have a desktop, but am willing to obtain a laptop. I am assuming that I cannot expect any interview accommodations, and that I should be prepared. Any thoughts?

Thank you,

Mike

Ekstrand, Pamela A. -ND

Hi Mike,

My last couple of interviews were by phone, but prior to that, I did not take a laptop to the interview. I explained how I work, but did not demonstrate. I would not expect any accommodation on an interview, but maybe others would disagree.

Good luck to you.

Pam

When you went to job interviews, did you bring your own laptop with
JAWS, or did the employer provide JAWS as an interview accommodation? I
currently only have a desktop, but am willing to obtain a laptop. I am
assuming that I cannot expect any interview accommodations, and that I
should be prepared. Any thoughts?

Thank you,

Mike

Lori Lynn

Hi,

What kind of job are you applying for? If you will have to take a test at the time of the interview then ask them about accommodations in advance. However, if the interview is just that, asking and answering questions, then I would ask about accommodations during the interview.

All of my work history was with the Federal government and they always had accommodations available.

Good luck with the interview.

Lori Lynn