moderated getting rid of greater signs

Adrian Spratt

One more step, in case you’ve already been working with search-and-replace. When you tab to the replace field, press the delete key and no other. This ensures nothing replaces the > symbols.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Mike B
Sent: Saturday, June 19, 2021 4:05 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: getting rid of greater signs

Hi Judy,

Press, Control + H, and in the find field type the, Greater sign, shift + period.

Now press, Alt + A, to remove all.  You should get a report of how many were removed / replaced if using Word.

Stay safe & take care.  Mike.
Just once, I want a username and password prompt to say:  "Close Enough!"

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Saturday, June 19, 2021 12:45 PM

Subject: getting rid of greater signs

Hi, I have a document I put into a document from an email. It has > all over. How do I find them all and delete them all at once? Thanks in advance. Judy & Libby

On Sat, Jun 19, 2021 at 04:05 PM, Mike B wrote:
Control + H
-
I either didn't know about, or had forgotten about, the CTRL+H shortcut to invoke the Find and Replace dialog.  Definitely preferable to ALT+H,R if you're using it frequently.  Thanks much.
--

Brian - Windows 10, 64-Bit, Version 21H1, Build 19043  

It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not.

~ André Gide

Judy,

I'm about to tell you, but be very careful in deciding you want to do this, or at least save a copy of the original.

Those greater than signs, provided you have not cut out the quote lines that occur before them, are what lets the reader know "who said what" in the context of a multi-person exchange and used to be the de facto standard in plain text email.

At the very least, if you know that a sequence of, say, four greater than signs refer to a message by Cindy, I'd be replacing ">>>>" with, "Cindy:" and that three greater than signs refer to a message by Bob, replacing ">>>" with, "Bob: ". There may be spaces between each greater than sign, too.

In any case, if you want to do a quick and dirty removal of every single greater than sign.

1. Get yourself to the very top of the document.  CTRL+Home.
2. Hit ALT+H,R (Home Ribbon, Find and Replace option) to bring up the Find and Replace Dialog.
3. In the Find What (ALT+N) edit box, enter a greater than sign.
4. Leave the Replace With (ALT+I) edit box empty.
5. Activate the Replace All (ALT+A) button.

Every instance of greater than sign in the document will now be gone, just as if you had found each and back spaced it out.

Obviously, if you wanted to follow my advice, you'd enter ">>>>" in the Find What edit box and "Cindy: " in the Replace With edit box, etc., etc., etc.

There are also buttons for Replace (one occurrence, the one it finds first based on where your insertion point is positioned, ALT+R), Find Next (without replacing, ALT+F), and Cancel buttons.  There is also a More button that allows you to set all sorts of additional formatting parameters, use wildcards, etc., the scope of which is beyond discussion here.
--

Brian - Windows 10, 64-Bit, Version 21H1, Build 19043  

It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not.

~ André Gide

Mike B.

Hi Judy,

Press, Control + H, and in the find field type the, Greater sign, shift + period.

Now press, Alt + A, to remove all.  You should get a report of how many were removed / replaced if using Word.

Stay safe & take care.  Mike.
Just once, I want a username and password prompt to say:  "Close Enough!"

----- Original Message -----

Hi, I have a document I put into a document from an email. It has > all over. How do I find them all and delete them all at once? Thanks in advance. Judy & Libby

T. Civitello

What program are you using to process it? MS Word has a find and replace all edit  item in its edit menu.   Just put a space in the replace with field. Tom

Judy