moderated questions about the home annual license

Vicky Collins

Of course I can contact Freedom Scientific, and will likely do so early next week, but I figured I would ask here first just in case.

First, when logging into the portal for the home annual license and then going to the place to update ones profile, for some reason, updating the email address doesn't seem to be available. There's a checkbox to have a reminder sent when it's time to renew the license, but that won't help a lot if the person has changed their email address. So am I missing something here, or is it just not possible to update the email address online?

Second, I just recently purchased a used ElBraille 14 from someone, and I wanted to have that JAWS license separate from my SMA license for my main computer, so I could use them both at the same time if I wanted. That's why my questions now about the home annual license, as I just activated it for the ElBraille. Never mind, grin, that I've had this license for some time now, getting it a discount around convention time last year, and so only have a little over a couple of months on it left. Anyway, best I can tell, one is able to log in to the portal and deactivate and active license, or perhaps I should say an active use of that license. Thus, just out of curiosity, if I were to log into the portal and deactivate the ElBraille from another computer or phone, would the ElBraille automatically go into demo mode on boot up if not connected to the internet, or would the full license still work until I connected to the internet? Also, if I were to deactivate the license on the ElBraille, I'm assuming I could reactivate it again if still during the term of the license?

My activation questions are more of a curiosity thing, especially since being used to notetakers and not using a braille display to work the computer, it took me forever to figure out how to write the at sign on the ElBraille so I could get logged into the portal to activate the thing, so I plan to leave it activated. It's going to be quite a learning curve going from the U2 Mini and occasional use of the Polaris to the ElBraille, but I'm looking forward to it.

Richard Turner <richardturner42@...>

I believe FS has no problem with you having your SMA Jaws on two devices. I know you can have it on your home and work computers, no problem.

But, all your questions will be best answered by FS staff.

Good luck,

Richard

[...]

I'll have to go and take a look again, but if memory serves, technically unless I'm misunderstanding things, the license agreement says you can have the license activated on up to three computers, but you are limited to using it on one computer at a time, thus my wanting to keep the licenses separate.

[...]

com=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
View/Reply Online (#90421): https://jfw.groups.io/g/main/message/90421
com=-=-
-
JFW related links:
JFW List instructions:
Archives located at: http://www.groups.io/g/jfw/threads

com=-=-
Group Owner: main+owner@jfw.groups.io
com=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Mario

I'd agree with Richard because it makes sense.
I would imagine an SMA is tied to JAWS and not the customer.

[...]

.

Richard Turner <richardturner42@...>

Vicky,
Are you going to be writing on both machines at the exact same time?

They phrase it that way so you wouldn't be at work and someone else be at home using your same licensed copy.

Or am I missing something?

Again, asking FS is the best thing to do before making any decisions.

HTH,

Richard

[...]

rner42.3om%2F&ampbbdata=04%7Cbleja%7C%7Caed4f5eb821f4bd1153308d9:399ghh%7
C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7Cblea%7Cblej%7C6375971470edccfde%7CUnkno
wn%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4WLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiL
CJXVCI6Mnblej%3D%7Cbleajjj&ampbbsdata=6mkvyBH0Sr1Z8kFMiblei%2FTlHZpyHwHy9FLqRP2N
d0Yajc%3D&ampbbreserved=0

[...]

roups.io%2Fg%2Fmain%2Fmessage%2Fbleijdba&ampbbdata=04%7Cbleja%7C%7Caed4f5eb82
1f4bd1153308d9:399ghh%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7Cblea%7Cblej%7C63
7597144705433645%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4WLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV
2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mnblej%3D%7Cbleajjj&ampbbsdata=6hzIfJwZ%2BzO8b
%2FU5DI4FEpcEXvtXm3HqRLpqnnation0jSblej%3D&ampbbreserved=0
Mute This Topic:
https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fgroup
s.io%2Fmt%2Fblehcfejhei%2Fbleaaief&ampbbdata=04%7Cbleja%7C%7Caed4f5eb821f4bd1153
308d9:399ghh%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7Cblea%7Cblej%7C63759714470
5433645%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4WLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLC
JBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mnblej%3D%7Cbleajjj&ampbbsdata=w7Ea0DF5YSMPjQo4Tl763TBk
Rx0PAR%2FWo49IjktkPSY%3D&ampbbreserved=0
com=-=-
-
JFW related links:
JFW homepage:
https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.fr
eedomscientific.com%2F&ampbbdata=04%7Cbleja%7C%7Caed4f5eb821f4bd1153308d93
3399788%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7Cblea%7Cblej%7C63759714470543364
5%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4WLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6
Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mnblej%3D%7Cbleajjj&ampbbsdata=Q1YTuodEVepm92P49d%2F3yhPwe5Fy
nkVcm%2FJlZq6m9fw%3D&ampbbreserved=0
JFW List instructions:
Archives located at:
https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.gr
oups.io%2Fg%2Fjfw%2Fthreads&ampbbdata=04%7Cbleja%7C%7Caed4f5eb821f4bd11533
08d9:399ghh%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7Cblea%7Cblej%7C637597144705
433645%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4WLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJ
BTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mnblej%3D%7Cbleajjj&ampbbsdata=EKSOl89vDm9dzmcFnTn9sB%2F
AT0PHStdx6wfZiFPHFVI%3D&ampbbreserved=0
Alternative archives located at:
https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fn2.nab
ble.com%2FJAWS-for-Windows-fblebadebgi.html&ampbbdata=04%7Cbleja%7C%7Caed4f5e
b821f4bd1153308d9:399ghh%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7Cblea%7Cblej%7
C6375971470edccfde%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4WLjAwMDAiLCJQIj
oiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mnblej%3D%7Cbleajjj&ampbbsdata=Yo5SUyEo1Xsj
jf%2FHWSlDBh7snjlEKU5RYC1PDWYooEbleh%3D&ampbbreserved=0

com=-=-
Group Owner: main+owner@jfw.groups.io
Unsubscribe:
https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fjfw.g
roups.io%2Fg%2Fmain%2Fleave%2F47617%2Fbleaaief%2Fbleajicjiedcg%2Fxyzzy&ampbbd
ata=04%7Cbleja%7C%7Caed4f5eb821f4bd1153308d9:399ghh%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb4
35aaaaaaaaaaaa%7Cblea%7Cblej%7C6375971470eddcfjj%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8ey
JWIjoiMC4WLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mnblej%3D%7C100
0&ampbbsdata=MYcjWYdZXzRbsbTYAjallymTeOZf%2F1jdnJGlrqrTxEV3GC%3D&ampbbreser
ved=0 [vcollins5286@gmail.com]
com=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

com=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
View/Reply Online (#90426): https://jfw.groups.io/g/main/message/90426
com=-=-
-
JFW related links:
JFW List instructions:
Archives located at: http://www.groups.io/g/jfw/threads

com=-=-
Group Owner: main+owner@jfw.groups.io
com=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Glenn / Lenny

A question I have on this as well is,
If someone has the renuible license for say, 2019, and they are happy with that, is it less expensive to update the license in 2020, even if that person doesn't want 2020?
I know the annual fee is like 90 dollars, but it seems to me that if there is a newer version out, and the person wants to just keep using 2019, the fee should be less for an older Jaws.
Glenn

[...]

I'm not sure if you are talking about the Home annual subscription or the SMA license.

The Home annual subscription means that when the year runs out, you either resubscribe for the next year at $90 or you go into Demo mode.
If you had the SMA license, and decide to stop renewing, then it remains a fully functional version of Jaws.

When you decide you want to upgrade the SMA license, you usually have to pay for the years in between that you skipped; though I understand if that adds up to a lot of years, they will work with folks.

I hope that helps.

Richard

If someone has the renuible license for say, 2019, and they are happy with that, is it less expensive to update the license in 2020, even if that person doesn't want 2020?
I know the annual fee is like 90 dollars, but it seems to me that if there is a newer version out, and the person wants to just keep using 2019, the fee should be less for an older Jaws.
Glenn

Are you going to be writing on both machines at the exact same time?

They phrase it that way so you wouldn't be at work and someone else
be at home using your same licensed copy.

Or am I missing something?

Again, asking FS is the best thing to do before making any decisions.

HTH,

Richard

Web site:
https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.t
urner42.com%2F&amp;data=04%7C01%7C%7C851164991bfc4667d0be08d9335c5830
%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C637597293973256064%7CUn
known%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1ha
WwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C1000&amp;sdata=sJiM9utbUYRfgXViKZy3XeWLUzkqT3a%2F
2xsTbphNJ88%3D&amp;reserved=0

[...]

unsubscribe from this mailing list, send a message to
jfw+unsubscribe@groups.io Archives located at:
[...]

If you have any concerns about the list, posts received from the
list, or the way the list is being run, do not post them to the
list. Rather contact the list owner at jfw+owner@groups.io.
[...]

groups.io%2Fg%2Fmain%2Fmessage%2F90426&amp;data=04%7C01%7C%7C85116499
1bfc4667d0be08d9335c5830%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7
C637597293973256064%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQI
joiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C1000&amp;sdata=pCshVXx98r
NhINqFyAqvnZStm5Ob4hjn4kH2vtpN9Mg%3D&amp;reserved=0
Mute This Topic:
https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fgrou
ps.io%2Fmt%2F83650859%2F11956&amp;data=04%7C01%7C%7C851164991bfc4667d
0be08d9335c5830%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C63759729
3973256064%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMz
IiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C1000&amp;sdata=NEZnHSWFf8ymLcUMvyY
3OQbsjIVGlZZ2Xeeyu9GilwI%3D&amp;reserved=0
com=-=-
-
JFW related links:
JFW homepage:
https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.f
reedomscientific.com%2F&amp;data=04%7C01%7C%7C851164991bfc4667d0be08d
9335c5830%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C63759729397325
6064%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJB
TiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C1000&amp;sdata=eaaloQ8cToBLhWy5RqjRhYwAO
aDN6HipY7k9r%2Fygj6s%3D&amp;reserved=0
JFW List instructions:
unsubscribe from this mailing list, send a message to
jfw+unsubscribe@groups.io
Archives located at:
https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.g
roups.io%2Fg%2Fjfw%2Fthreads&amp;data=04%7C01%7C%7C851164991bfc4667d0
be08d9335c5830%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C637597293
973256064%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzI
iLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C1000&amp;sdata=E3Iz5%2F0KRDiubuvqpU
ceimN4qA8rNCcVsCgECKjqNmM%3D&amp;reserved=0
Alternative archives located at:
https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fn2.na
bble.com%2FJAWS-for-Windows-f2145279.html&amp;data=04%7C01%7C%7C85116
4991bfc4667d0be08d9335c5830%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C
0%7C637597293973256064%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLC
JQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C1000&amp;sdata=tKiFGOI
aroxQrKtpAV3uLJP9afBCCFwPdnOYfuemse4%3D&amp;reserved=0

If you have any concerns about the list, posts received from the
list, or the way the list is being run, do not post them to the list.
com=-=-
Group Owner: main+owner@jfw.groups.io
Unsubscribe:
https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fjfw.
groups.io%2Fg%2Fmain%2Fleave%2F47617%2F11956%2F1093095437%2Fxyzzy&amp
;data=04%7C01%7C%7C851164991bfc4667d0be08d9335c5830%7C84df9e7fe9f640a
fb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C637597293973256064%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3
d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%
7C1000&amp;sdata=%2FB1sZWJx4zLrmoB3kGYPqL55lRgr3uTLmbC4ynpZUaY%3D&amp
;reserved=0
[vcollins5286@gmail.com]
com=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Glenn / Lenny

The home annual one of course.
If a year goes by, and there is a newer version out, it should cost less to renew an older version.
And that cost should go down for the old version each year, like for example:
purchase 2019 in 2019
$90
In my opinion, 2019 should be less in 2020 to renew after 2020 has been put out.
So folks should pay more for the latest and greatest.
I'm sure that FS probably wouldn't do this because they want to get all they can for Jaws, which is to be expected of any, "for profit company".
Glenn

[...]

I think you may be missing something. As I understand it, if it is 2020, you cannot buy 2019; only 2020. So, you actually cannot buy an older version with this new home annual license arrangement.
So, you are always faced with buying the latest and perhaps greatest, perhaps not, version.

Which is why, in my case, I already had the SMA; so I've stuck with the SMA because, so far, I it is less than the Home Annual license and I can keep last year's version on my machine to switch back to if the new version is causing issues.

Richard

Web site: https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.turner42.com%2F&;data=04%7C01%7C%7Cd32f422a86ec48ac93df08d93360ad5e%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C637597312582461513%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C1000&amp;sdata=23aOGNO63NmDogKPiu01MXA0%2B72Nr8AynZMawLOhh9M%3D&amp;reserved=0

[...]

Kevin Minor

Hi.

With what you're mentioning about the cost, you're talking about the home license. If you don't renew it, JAWS goes into demo mode when the license expires. It's why I have the SMA. Last year, when I renewed my SMA, I paid $300 for two years of it. It cost more, but I wanted JAWS to still work should I not be able to afford another SMA in 2 years.

Just for your information.

Kevin and Jilly

JFW homepage: http://www.freedomscientific.com/ JFW List
instructions:
unsubscribe from this mailing list, send a message to
jfw+unsubscribe@groups.io
Archives located at: http://www.groups.io/g/jfw/threads
Alternative archives located at:

If you have any concerns about the list, posts received from the
list, or the way the list is being run, do not post them to the list.
com=-=-
Group Owner: main+owner@jfw.groups.io
Unsubscribe:
https://jfw.groups.io/g/main/leave/47617/11956/1093095437/xyzzy
[vcollins5286@gmail.com]
com=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Glenn / Lenny

No,
If someone buys 2019 in 2019,
In 2020, they should be able to renew 2019 in 2020 for less than 90 dollars which would otherwise get them 2020.

[...]

Well, I won't spend any more time on this but to say it is not a purchase, it is a subscription.
When your subscription runs out, you are done.
You can argue what it should be; but that isn't reality.

Richard

Web site: https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.turner42.com%2F&;data=04%7C01%7C%7C1023ca68f71d4741e9f308d93366891a%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C637597337740101907%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C1000&amp;sdata=CCecAe8JOIdXWdW01t2NpzDjpoWGb5fTGOWAMyeslN4%3D&amp;reserved=0

[...]

Chris Chaffin

Unfortunately, that is not how a subscription service works. You are not purchasing a particular version. You are paying for the ability to access the full version of the software no matter the version. That is why if you do not renew your subscription, the software will only work in demo mode no matter the version. With a subscription, you actually never own the software.

Whether you choose to stay with an older version, or upgrade to the latest version is something you are choosing to do yourself, and does not have any effect on the subscription cost, remember, you are paying for the ability to access the full version of the software no matter the version.

Many software companies use the subscription model now, including Microsoft, Adobe, plus many more. Whether we like it or not, it is the choice we have at the moment if we want to use the software.

Chris

----- Original Message ----- From: "Richard Turner" <richardturner42@outlook.com>

[...]

Sieghard Weitzel <sieghard@...>

Vicky is talking about the annual licence which means the subscription-based licencing. As far as I know you can activate up to 3 computers with one Jaws subscription and only if you want to use it on more than 3 computers would you have to deactivate it from one in order to activate it on another.

[...]

I don't think that is correct, just as with a regular Jaws licence you should be able to use it on 3 computers at the same time, it would make no sense if you had say a laptop and a desktop that youwould have to first deactivate yoru Jaws licence from one every time you want to use the other.

[...]

Sieghard,
I believe things got confused with the side chatter about the home annual license.
She has the SMA on her computer.
She bought a used El Braille and that was on the home annual license.

She thought she couldn't activate the El Braille on her SMA, but when she calls FS, she will find she can.

HTH,

Richard

Web site: https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.turner42.com%2F&;data=04%7C01%7C%7Cb4c4dd0a511b4386c7e208d933e95392%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C637597899481037848%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C1000&amp;sdata=YQfZaHFMZOSuW2KUe43eX0nUdgpLsG8Injt5%2Be1m3pw%3D&amp;reserved=0

[...]

It is not, the entire purpose of the subscription-based licence is that you always have access to the latest version of Jaws, if you then choose to mostly use a version which is a year or two old that is your choice. A subscription typically is a subscription, after all, you don't get a Netflix or Apple Music subscription which is cheaper because maybe you only watch 1 movie a month or only listen to music once a week or because you want to listen only to country and not all th eothermusic which is available.

[...]

Correct and don't forget that with your annual subscription you are not limited to using only the latest version, if you have a subscription right now you have access to Jaws 2021, in October or November when 2022 comes out you automatically have access to that, but you can still have Jaws 2020 or Jaws 2019 installed on your system and use it whenever you please.

I'm not sure if you are talking about the Home annual subscription or the SMA license.

The Home annual subscription means that when the year runs out, you either resubscribe for the next year at $90 or you go into Demo mode.
If you had the SMA license, and decide to stop renewing, then it remains a fully functional version of Jaws.

When you decide you want to upgrade the SMA license, you usually have to pay for the years in between that you skipped; though I understand if that adds up to a lot of years, they will work with folks.

I hope that helps.

Richard

Web site:
https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.tu
rner42.com%2F&amp;data=04%7C01%7C%7Cd32f422a86ec48ac93df08d93360ad5e%7
[...]

%
7Cblej%7
[...]

I thought it was the other way around since she said she only had a couple of months left on her SMA. This is why I always think it's better to get such specific answers from the horse's mouth. It's the same with a bunch of local Facebook groups I am on, we have a group here called Ask Smithers and I am amazed how many times people post questions like "Is such and such store open today", "What are the hours for the such and such bank" or "Do I have to wear a mask if I want to bank in person at whatever bank". Here you just spend a minute or two at least to post this, then you wait until you see some replies which often contradict themselves and where half of them say "Why don't you just call them". It's pretty funny.