moderated JAWS Sluggish After 2.5 Hours of Use Since June Update?

Darrell Shandrow Hilliker

Hi Everybody,

Has anyone else noticed that JAWS becomes incredibly sluggish and crackling audio can be heard after about 2 or 2.5 hours of intensive use?

Try the following:

  1. Make sure the June JAWS update is running.
  2. Start Chrome or Edge.
  3. Open and use 10 or more tabs, switching between them and working intensively for about 2 hours. Observe that JAWS becomes less and less responsive over time and it is eventually necessary to restart JAWS.

Does anyone else out here experience this situation?

Thanks,

Darrell

Sieghard Weitzel <sieghard@...>

I run into this crackling issue from time to time, but very infrequently. I would say I use Jaws pretty intensely, I don't always have 10 browser tabs open, but I do work often for several hours with very few breaks with at least 3 or 4 tabs open as well as Outlook, Excel a couple of Notepad files and Adobe sometimes with 2 or 3 PDF files open. At times I even use Edge as well as Chrome at the same time so instead of opening more tabs in Edge I may use Chrome and as I said, I come across this very rarely and I have never noticed anything which would allow me to reproduce it..

Has anyone else noticed that JAWS becomes incredibly sluggish and crackling audio can be heard after about 2 or 2.5 hours of intensive use?

Try the following:

  1. Make sure the June JAWS update is running.
  2. Start Chrome or Edge.
  3. Open and use 10 or more tabs, switching between them and working intensively for about 2 hours. Observe that JAWS becomes less and less responsive over time and it is eventually necessary to restart JAWS.

Does anyone else out here experience this situation?

Thanks,

Darrell

Richard Turner <richardturner42@...>

I never have that much open at once.

Without knowing the computer specs, this would be a hard thing to compare.

This could be as much system resources running low as anything.

Having said that, Jaws with the June update has issues with Outlook at the very least.  I have had more times than I can count where just opening an email renders Jaws speechless.

Now, of course, this could be, and probably is, because of the last Microsoft 365 update; but it can be rather frustrating.

I have a Dell Inspiron 5790 laptop, with the i7 chip and 16 GB of RAM and often only have Outlook open when this happens.

Richard

Web site: www.turner42.com

Has anyone else noticed that JAWS becomes incredibly sluggish and crackling audio can be heard after about 2 or 2.5 hours of intensive use?

Try the following:

  1. Make sure the June JAWS update is running.
  2. Start Chrome or Edge.
  3. Open and use 10 or more tabs, switching between them and working intensively for about 2 hours. Observe that JAWS becomes less and less responsive over time and it is eventually necessary to restart JAWS.

Does anyone else out here experience this situation?

Thanks,

Darrell

Glenn / Lenny

How much RAM is your computer using?
I'd look at the hardware first.
Glenn

Has anyone else noticed that JAWS becomes incredibly sluggish and crackling audio can be heard after about 2 or 2.5 hours of intensive use?

Try the following:

  1. Make sure the June JAWS update is running.
  2. Start Chrome or Edge.
  3. Open and use 10 or more tabs, switching between them and working intensively for about 2 hours. Observe that JAWS becomes less and less responsive over time and it is eventually necessary to restart JAWS.

Does anyone else out here experience this situation?

Thanks,

Darrell

Chris Hill

I don't do multiple tabs, but my machine is usually up for days at a time.  I've never had this problem . I'd probably try plugging in a pair of usb headphones when this happens.  If the problem goes away, it likely has something to do with the sound card driver, which may need updated, or rolled back.

CH

On 6/19/2021 09:19, Darrell Shandrow Hilliker wrote:

Hi Everybody,

Has anyone else noticed that JAWS becomes incredibly sluggish and crackling audio can be heard after about 2 or 2.5 hours of intensive use?

Try the following:

  1. Make sure the June JAWS update is running.
  2. Start Chrome or Edge.
  3. Open and use 10 or more tabs, switching between them and working intensively for about 2 hours. Observe that JAWS becomes less and less responsive over time and it is eventually necessary to restart JAWS.

Does anyone else out here experience this situation?

Thanks,

Darrell

Michael Massey

There is no June update for Jaws.  I just checked the Freedom Scientific website to be sure, and the latest update for Jaws was released on May 19.  Thanks.

Sharon

I’m using Office 2016 and this happens both in Outlook and with Word as well . . . constantly.

Has anyone else noticed that JAWS becomes incredibly sluggish and crackling audio can be heard after about 2 or 2.5 hours of intensive use?

Try the following:

  1. Make sure the June JAWS update is running.
  2. Start Chrome or Edge.
  3. Open and use 10 or more tabs, switching between them and working intensively for about 2 hours. Observe that JAWS becomes less and less responsive over time and it is eventually necessary to restart JAWS.

Does anyone else out here experience this situation?

Thanks,

Darrell

Richard Turner <richardturner42@...>

Right you are.

It is so easy to fall into thinking the last update was earlier this month, o well.

That doesn’t change the behavior, just which version to blame, 😊.

Richard

Web site: www.turner42.com

There is no June update for Jaws.  I just checked the Freedom Scientific website to be sure, and the latest update for Jaws was released on May 19.  Thanks.

Afik Souffir <afik.souffir@...>

Happened to me few times. That's why I switched to other screen reader.

נשלח מהאפליקציה 'דואר' עבור Windows 10

מאת: Chris Hill
נשלח: שבת 19 יוני 2021 17:58
אל: main@jfw.groups.io
נושא:
Re: JAWS Sluggish After 2.5 Hours of Use Since June Update?

[...]

Dan Longmore

Hi,

  I can’t speak to the sluggish part however at rare times I too get the crackling .  A JAWS re start fixes the issue.

No particular reason or pattern for the issue.

These kinds of bugs are nearly impossible to find and fix as they are intermittent and may have multiple causes.

Dan

[...]

Kevin Minor

Hi.

I don’t have this issue on my Asus laptop. My computer is a little over a year old, has 16 GB of memory, a Realtek sound card, and works great. I do have to reboot every 2 or 3 days, but with what I do, I understand why.

Maybe others having this issue may have older computers, less RAM, or something else that’s causing the problem. Oh yeah, I’m also using a Bluetooth speaker for my sound, so that might be something different.

Have a blessed day and don’t work too hard.

Kevin and Jilly

[...]

John Covici

I just had this problem, Jaws was almost non responsivbe, particularly
in firefox and restarting firefox did not fix things, so I did a
reboot -- sounds like a memory leak somewhere, but how to tell where
is a real problem.

On Sat, 19 Jun 2021 17:00:46 -0400,
Kevin Minor wrote:

[1 <text/plain; us-ascii (quoted-printable)>]
[...]

How do
you spend it?

John Covici wb2una
covici@ccs.covici.com

Tony

I have an old Windows 7 machine and a newer Windows 10 machine. On both any
browser I run gradually gobbles memory, even when idle. I've seen browsers
grow to over a gig of RAM. By unloading the browsers when not in use my
machines can run for weeks without problems. Jaws seems to lose some
functions after a few days and has to be restarted.

Tony