moderated Purpose of This List

Maria Campbell

The only American surnames might be Red Wolf or White Cloud, possible native American Indian names.

Maria Campbell
lucky1inct@...

All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good people to do nothing.
--Edmund Burke
On 6/16/2021 1:02 PM, David Diamond wrote:

Exactly, that was why I objected to someone with a sir name that indicated they came from immigrants, complaining loudly about other citizens who perhaps did not have an U S name. I guess I live in my own world, I treat everyone or try to, equally.   

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Sieghard Weitzel
Sent: June 16, 2021 9:23 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Purpose of This List

What exactly is an American sir name? The United States just as Canada and Australia is a country made up of immigrants from around the world and just because the Mayflower carried the first colonists, not all American names are Alden, Brown, Allerton or Bradford.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of David Diamond
Sent: Tuesday, June 15, 2021 2:47 PM

Because one of the chronic complainers on this group about posts being off topic  was the first one to rail against Non U S citizens on a windows group, yet he himself does not have an American sir name.  Is that not hypocritical? Some people live to cause controversy and are quick to tell mods what they should be doing. If I don’t like a thread, I hit the delete key.     

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Albert Cutolo
Sent: June 15, 2021 1:23 PM

Why can’t we all be more tolerant and less worried about posts that are posted too this list.  After all, aren’t we here for the purpose of providing help to each other when its needed? I know that I myself, has benefited from all of the help and advice and suggestion from other users of Jaws.     

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Lino Morales
Sent: Tuesday, June 15, 2021 11:58 AM

I 2000 percent agree with you Gerald. Oh and why do we never ever hear from the owner of this list? Boy I miss Rick's old JFW list. If this behavior continues I'm going, going, gone! Their is a FB JAWS group on FB that I like so if you happen to see me their I'll do my best.

On 6/15/2021 7:32 AM, Gerald Levy via groups.io wrote:

I am confused.  I thought this was a list for the discussion of issues related to the JAWS screen reader, but lately, there have been long discussions about topics that have nothing to do with JAWS like headphones and audio described programming.  Is this list now a general forum for the discussion of any topic related to blindness? Could someone please clarify the purpose of this list?  And if this list is now indeed a general discussion forum, would it not make sense to change the name of the list to reflect this?  Thanks. 

Gerald

David Diamond

Exactly, that was why I objected to someone with a sir name that indicated they came from immigrants, complaining loudly about other citizens who perhaps did not have an U S name. I guess I live in my own world, I treat everyone or try to, equally.   

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Sieghard Weitzel
Sent: June 16, 2021 9:23 AM

What exactly is an American sir name? The United States just as Canada and Australia is a country made up of immigrants from around the world and just because the Mayflower carried the first colonists, not all American names are Alden, Brown, Allerton or Bradford.

Because one of the chronic complainers on this group about posts being off topic  was the first one to rail against Non U S citizens on a windows group, yet he himself does not have an American sir name.  Is that not hypocritical? Some people live to cause controversy and are quick to tell mods what they should be doing. If I don’t like a thread, I hit the delete key.     

Why can’t we all be more tolerant and less worried about posts that are posted too this list.  After all, aren’t we here for the purpose of providing help to each other when its needed? I know that I myself, has benefited from all of the help and advice and suggestion from other users of Jaws.     

I 2000 percent agree with you Gerald. Oh and why do we never ever hear from the owner of this list? Boy I miss Rick's old JFW list. If this behavior continues I'm going, going, gone! Their is a FB JAWS group on FB that I like so if you happen to see me their I'll do my best.

I am confused.  I thought this was a list for the discussion of issues related to the JAWS screen reader, but lately, there have been long discussions about topics that have nothing to do with JAWS like headphones and audio described programming.  Is this list now a general forum for the discussion of any topic related to blindness? Could someone please clarify the purpose of this list?  And if this list is now indeed a general discussion forum, would it not make sense to change the name of the list to reflect this?  Thanks. 

Gerald

On Wed, Jun 16, 2021 at 12:23 PM, Sieghard Weitzel wrote:
What exactly is an American sir name?
-
What, exactly, is a "sir name," period?  If you (the generic you) are referring to someone's family name (e.g., Vogel, in my case) that's a surname.  One word, not two, and no letter I involved.
--

Brian - Windows 10, 64-Bit, Version 21H1, Build 19043  

It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not.

~ André Gide

Gerald

David Diamond

Gerald

James Homuth

So does this one. He’s posted a few times as recently as a week ago.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gerald Levy via groups.io
Sent: June 15, 2021 12:57 PM

Keep in mind that not only is the JFW-Users list more tightly moderated, it boasts Eric Damery as a member.

Gerald

On 6/15/2021 12:38 PM, Glenn / Lenny wrote:

Hi Lino,

Here's a link to JFW-Users on groups.IO

There is a way to subscribe to groups.io lists using the plus sign, but I forget just how to put it, maybe

but if that doesn't work, the first link is to that site where you can join.

HTH.

Glenn

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Tuesday, June 15, 2021 11:26 AM

Where is said list Len? Thanks and reply privately.

On 6/15/2021 12:18 PM, Glenn / Lenny wrote:

There is a strictly managed JFW list that folks can join.

So there's nothing stopping folks from leaving a loosely managed list like this one.

If all lists were the same, there wouldn't be many of them.

That's life, and that's choice.

Glenn

Sent: Tuesday, June 15, 2021 10:57 AM

Gerald

Albert Cutolo

Gerald

Gerald Levy

Keep in mind that not only is the JFW-Users list more tightly moderated, it boasts Eric Damery as a member.

Gerald

Hi Lino,
There is a way to subscribe to groups.io lists using the plus sign, but I forget just how to put it, maybe
HTH.
Glenn

So there's nothing stopping folks from leaving a loosely managed list like this one.
Glenn

Gerald

Lino Morales <linomorales001@...>

Thanks. I' notnew to groups.io so I'll just sub using the group's site.

Hi Lino,
HTH.
Glenn

Glenn

Gerald

Glenn / Lenny

Hi Lino,
HTH.
Glenn

Glenn

Gerald

Glenn

Gerald

Glenn / Lenny

Glenn

Gerald

Gerald

Mario

or just ignore any such posts.

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Purpose of This List
Date: Tuesday, June 15, 2021, 11:07 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io>
As others already pointed out, the solution is "Mute this topic", much
easier and quicker than counting over 50 messages 😂

*From:* main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> *On Behalf Of *Gerald
Levy via groups.io
*Sent:* Tuesday, June 15, 2021 6:16 AM
*To:* main@jfw.groups.io
*Subject:* Re: Purpose of This List

That's the big problem with this list.  Most discussions lately have
been about anything but JAWS.  I counted over 50 messages in the thread
about audio description.  And the list owner, if there is one, has never
responded to inquiries about how this list is run.  Personally, I don't
care whether members go off topic, and I usually enjoy reading these off
topic messages, but I think the list owner, if there is even anyone in
charge, has a responsibilty to clarify wheterh this is permissible and
even consider changing the name of this list to reflect its more general
nature.

Gerald

On 6/15/2021 8:29 AM, Jeff Christiansen wrote:

Most discussions are about JAWS but for those discussions that truly
bother you just use the mute option

It only requires you to be flexible

Sent From My Mobile

On Jun 15, 2021, at 05:32, Gerald Levy via groups.io
<bwaylimited=verizon.net@groups.io>
<mailto:bwaylimited=verizon.net@groups.io> wrote:

I am confused.  I thought this was a list for the discussion of
issues related to the JAWS screen reader, but lately, there have
been long discussions about topics that have nothing to do with
JAWS like headphones and audio described programming.  Is this
list now a general forum for the discussion of any topic related
to blindness? Could someone please clarify the purpose of this
list?  And if this list is now indeed a general discussion
forum, would it not make sense to change the name of the list to
reflect this?  Thanks.

Gerald

Mario

or just ignore any such posts.

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Purpose of This List
Date: Tuesday, June 15, 2021, 11:07 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io>
As others already pointed out, the solution is "Mute this topic", much
easier and quicker than counting over 50 messages 😂

*From:* main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> *On Behalf Of *Gerald
Levy via groups.io
*Sent:* Tuesday, June 15, 2021 6:16 AM
*To:* main@jfw.groups.io
*Subject:* Re: Purpose of This List

That's the big problem with this list.  Most discussions lately have
been about anything but JAWS.  I counted over 50 messages in the thread
about audio description.  And the list owner, if there is one, has never
responded to inquiries about how this list is run.  Personally, I don't
care whether members go off topic, and I usually enjoy reading these off
topic messages, but I think the list owner, if there is even anyone in
charge, has a responsibilty to clarify wheterh this is permissible and
even consider changing the name of this list to reflect its more general
nature.

Gerald

Most discussions are about JAWS but for those discussions that truly
bother you just use the mute option

Sent From My Mobile

On Jun 15, 2021, at 05:32, Gerald Levy via groups.io
<bwaylimited=verizon.net@groups.io>
<mailto:bwaylimited=verizon.net@groups.io> wrote:

I am confused.  I thought this was a list for the discussion of
issues related to the JAWS screen reader, but lately, there have
been long discussions about topics that have nothing to do with
JAWS like headphones and audio described programming.  Is this
list now a general forum for the discussion of any topic related
to blindness? Could someone please clarify the purpose of this
list?  And if this list is now indeed a general discussion
forum, would it not make sense to change the name of the list to
reflect this?  Thanks.

Gerald

As others already pointed out, the solution is "Mute this topic", much easier and quicker than counting over 50 messages 😂

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gerald Levy via groups.io
Sent: Tuesday, June 15, 2021 6:16 AM

That's the big problem with this list.  Most discussions lately have been about anything but JAWS.  I counted over 50 messages in the thread about audio description.  And the list owner, if there is one, has never responded to inquiries about how this list is run.  Personally, I don't care whether members go off topic, and I usually enjoy reading these off topic messages, but I think the list owner, if there is even anyone in charge, has a responsibilty to clarify wheterh this is permissible and even consider changing the name of this list to reflect its more general nature. 

Gerald

Most discussions are about JAWS but for those discussions that truly bother you just use the mute option

Sent From My Mobile

On Jun 15, 2021, at 05:32, Gerald Levy via groups.io <bwaylimited@...> wrote:

Gerald

Richard Turner

And, fortunately, you can mute any thread you don’t want to see, which I’m doing with this subject as it is pointless.

Richard

Software means never having to say you're finished

Web site: www.turner42.com

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: Tuesday, June 15, 2021 6:48 AM

On Tue, Jun 15, 2021 at 09:14 AM, Gerald Levy wrote:

but I think the list owner, if there is even anyone in charge, has a responsibilty to clarify wheterh this is permissible and even consider changing the name of this list to reflect its more general nature. 

-
There is a list owner, and it's been the same list owner ever since I joined several years ago.

They are not obligated to do anything, really.  And it is absolutely not practical to change the name of any list once established.  One could, however, change the list description, as it is entirely inaccurate and had been for a long time, as you are correct that this group has expanded to topics well beyond JAWS a long while back.

But a group owner or moderator can be as stringent or lax as they wish to be around what is stated as "the central topic focus" for groups they manage.  This one happens to be lax.
--

It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not.

~ André Gide

On Tue, Jun 15, 2021 at 09:14 AM, Gerald Levy wrote:
but I think the list owner, if there is even anyone in charge, has a responsibilty to clarify wheterh this is permissible and even consider changing the name of this list to reflect its more general nature. 
-
There is a list owner, and it's been the same list owner ever since I joined several years ago.

They are not obligated to do anything, really.  And it is absolutely not practical to change the name of any list once established.  One could, however, change the list description, as it is entirely inaccurate and had been for a long time, as you are correct that this group has expanded to topics well beyond JAWS a long while back.

But a group owner or moderator can be as stringent or lax as they wish to be around what is stated as "the central topic focus" for groups they manage.  This one happens to be lax.
--

~ André Gide

Gerald Levy

That's the big problem with this list.  Most discussions lately have been about anything but JAWS.  I counted over 50 messages in the thread about audio description.  And the list owner, if there is one, has never responded to inquiries about how this list is run.  Personally, I don't care whether members go off topic, and I usually enjoy reading these off topic messages, but I think the list owner, if there is even anyone in charge, has a responsibilty to clarify wheterh this is permissible and even consider changing the name of this list to reflect its more general nature. 

Gerald

Most discussions are about JAWS but for those discussions that truly bother you just use the mute option

Sent From My Mobile

On Jun 15, 2021, at 05:32, Gerald Levy via groups.io <bwaylimited@...> wrote:

Gerald

There is also the option of setting up topic preview, so that you can pick and choose which topics will continue being delivered beyond the first message.  The "how to" is covered in the tutorial: Controlling the Messages You Receive via E-Mail from Groups.io (docx)

Controlling the Messages You Receive via E-Mail from Groups.io  (PDF)

--

~ André Gide