moderated Setting Up RSS Feeds

Tom Behler

Yes, Brian, this is a good point, and is actually my ultimate goal.

Tom Behler

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: Monday, June 14, 2021 2:00 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Setting Up RSS Feeds

Tom,

Another suggestion, and it would require "institutional change," is once you have determined the correct RSS feed, stop being "the middle man" for SKYWARN.

Every link in a chain introduces potential weaknesses, and these RSS feeds are available to anyone on planet earth who wants them.  It's to the advantage of all concerned that they get the information "straight from the horse's mouth" as quickly as possible without needing another human being as the relay point.

If you find one that gives the information you've historically been expected to relay, it's better not to have to relay it, but have those who need it set up the RSS feed for themselves.
--

Brian - Windows 10, 64-Bit, Version 21H1, Build 19043  

It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not.

~ André Gide

Tom,

Another suggestion, and it would require "institutional change," is once you have determined the correct RSS feed, stop being "the middle man" for SKYWARN.

Every link in a chain introduces potential weaknesses, and these RSS feeds are available to anyone on planet earth who wants them.  It's to the advantage of all concerned that they get the information "straight from the horse's mouth" as quickly as possible without needing another human being as the relay point.

If you find one that gives the information you've historically been expected to relay, it's better not to have to relay it, but have those who need it set up the RSS feed for themselves.
--

It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not.

~ André Gide

Tom Behler

You’re probably right, Brian.

I’m also working with our county amateur radio emergency coordinator to get the correct RSS feed link.

Once I have the link, it seems like it will be pretty simple to incorporate it into Outlook, although I’m not that far yet.

Tom Behler

Sent: Monday, June 14, 2021 1:45 PM

Tom,

Your best bet is to ask at the local office, as I don't think that an RSS feed exists with precisely the same information.  There are lots of them for hazardous weather listed by state and county.  Here's the page listing all of the available feeds for Michigan:  https://alerts.weather.gov/cap/mi.php?x=2 
--

~ André Gide

Tom,

Your best bet is to ask at the local office, as I don't think that an RSS feed exists with precisely the same information.  There are lots of them for hazardous weather listed by state and county.  Here's the page listing all of the available feeds for Michigan:  https://alerts.weather.gov/cap/mi.php?x=2 
--

~ André Gide

Tom Behler

Thanks for this, Brian.

Will take a look.

I’m looking for the RSS feed for the daily hazardous weather outlook for the National Weather Service office in Grand Rapids, MI.

Tom Behler

Sent: Monday, June 14, 2021 11:54 AM

Tom,

The page listing all of the NWS RSS Feeds and Podcasts is:  https://www.weather.gov/rss 

I don't know exactly what report or region you're looking for.  The type of report is generally covered in the links on that page, and once you activate the one you want the specific RSS URLs for that type of report are presented on the page that comes up.  On this site the URLs for the actual feeds end in .XML.  The use of the XML extension is very common.  I think that .RSS is used often as well, but not there.
--

~ André Gide

Tom Behler

Richard:

I’m looking for the RSS feed for the daily Hazardous Weather Outlook, issued by the National Weather Service office in Grand Rapids, MI.

The link for the text version is:

https://forecast.weather.gov/showsigwx.php?warnzone=MIZ057&warncounty=MIC081&firewxzone=MIZ057&local_place1=Grand%20Rapids%20MI&product1=Hazardous+Weather+Outlook&lat=42.9634&lon=-85.6681#.YMeSMPlKhPY

but I don’t think that’s going to give me the RSS feed I need.

May have to ask the folks at the Weather Service Office itself.

Tom Behler: KB8TYJ

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Richard Turner
Sent: Monday, June 14, 2021 11:51 AM

What town/area are you wanting the feed for?

You probably said that early on….

Richard

Software means never having to say you're finished

Web site: www.turner42.com

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Tom Behler
Sent: Monday, June 14, 2021 8:40 AM

Darren:

Can you tell me how to do this?

I can find the link to the text version of the hazardous weather outlook, but I’m not sure that’s the same as the RSS feed URL.

What I’m trying to say is that I’m not exactly sure what to look for, and how to find the RSS feed link.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Darren Tomblin
Sent: Monday, June 14, 2021 3:07 AM

Try bringing up the feed in a browser and copying the address

Darren Tomblin KC9JJJ

On Jun 13, 2021, at 1:04 PM, Tom Behler <tombehler@...> wrote:

I understand, Brian.

Now, I have to figure out how to get the right RSS Feed URL.

Tom Behler

Sent: Sunday, June 13, 2021 12:58 PM

I don't see why those shouldn't work.  Personally, I find that method to be "the long way."  There is an Add item in the context menu for the RSS Feed entry in the Outlook Folder Tree and it pretty much walks you right through adding the feed URL that you have.

This is one of those, "It's not rocket science," sort of things.  More of a "fill in the blank with the correct RSS Feed URL" and hit OK.  (There may be a couple of more steps, but I don't want to fully configure an RSS Feed I don't want.)
--

~ André Gide

See also this article on makeuseof.com:  https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/7-feeds-rss-weather-updates/ 
--

~ André Gide

Tom,

The page listing all of the NWS RSS Feeds and Podcasts is:  https://www.weather.gov/rss 

I don't know exactly what report or region you're looking for.  The type of report is generally covered in the links on that page, and once you activate the one you want the specific RSS URLs for that type of report are presented on the page that comes up.  On this site the URLs for the actual feeds end in .XML.  The use of the XML extension is very common.  I think that .RSS is used often as well, but not there.
--

~ André Gide

Richard Turner

What town/area are you wanting the feed for?

You probably said that early on….

Richard

Sent: Monday, June 14, 2021 8:40 AM

Darren:

I can find the link to the text version of the hazardous weather outlook, but I’m not sure that’s the same as the RSS feed URL.

What I’m trying to say is that I’m not exactly sure what to look for, and how to find the RSS feed link.

Darren Tomblin KC9JJJ

I understand, Brian.

Tom Behler

I don't see why those shouldn't work.  Personally, I find that method to be "the long way."  There is an Add item in the context menu for the RSS Feed entry in the Outlook Folder Tree and it pretty much walks you right through adding the feed URL that you have.

This is one of those, "It's not rocket science," sort of things.  More of a "fill in the blank with the correct RSS Feed URL" and hit OK.  (There may be a couple of more steps, but I don't want to fully configure an RSS Feed I don't want.)
--

~ André Gide

Tom Behler

Darren:

Darren Tomblin KC9JJJ

I understand, Brian.

Tom Behler

--

~ André Gide

Darren Tomblin

Darren Tomblin KC9JJJ

I understand, Brian.

Tom Behler

--

~ André Gide

Tom Behler

I understand, Brian.

Tom Behler

--

~ André Gide

--

~ André Gide

Tom Behler

Will do, Richard.

Also may check directly with the Weather Service office itself.

Tom Behler

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Richard Turner
Sent: Sunday, June 13, 2021 12:54 PM

Try a web search for national Weather Service Rss Feed.

Richard

Sent: Sunday, June 13, 2021 9:48 AM

Brian:

When I put focus on the RSS feeds option and go to the context menu, I do find “add an RSS feed”.

I guess the next thing I have to figure out is how to get the RSS Feed address from the National Weather Service office web site.

Tom Behler

Sent: Sunday, June 13, 2021 12:34 PM

Tom,

Can you first tell me what happens when you bring up the context menu when RSS Feeds has focus and is selected?  If you get the menu that includes Add a new RSS Feed as the third item (or at least that's the position in Outlook 2016) then we can go further.

If you don't have the RSS Feed address for the feed you want, you'll need to get that, too.
--

~ André Gide

Richard Turner

Try a web search for national Weather Service Rss Feed.

Richard

Sent: Sunday, June 13, 2021 9:48 AM

Brian:

When I put focus on the RSS feeds option and go to the context menu, I do find “add an RSS feed”.

I guess the next thing I have to figure out is how to get the RSS Feed address from the National Weather Service office web site.

Tom Behler

Tom,

Can you first tell me what happens when you bring up the context menu when RSS Feeds has focus and is selected?  If you get the menu that includes Add a new RSS Feed as the third item (or at least that's the position in Outlook 2016) then we can go further.

If you don't have the RSS Feed address for the feed you want, you'll need to get that, too.
--

~ André Gide

Tom Behler

Brian and all:

I just received the following set of instructions for adding an RSS feed in Outlook from a member of the JFW Users list.

Has anyone tried these instructions, and were you successful?:

How to add an RSS feed to Outlook 365 (addictivetips.com)

Tom,

--

~ André Gide

Tom Behler

Brian:

Tom Behler

Tom,

--

~ André Gide

Tom,

--

~ André Gide

Tom Behler

Hello, everyone.

As some of you may know, I am a licensed ham radio operator, and I am the severe weather SKYWARN Team Coordinator for my county here in West Michigan.

Until recently, I was automatically receiveing the hazardous weather outlooks from our area National Weather Service  office via an e-mail list that our County emergency communications group had created and maintained.

I am now no longer receiveing these hazardous weather outlooks via the e-mail list, despite a number of attempts to re-subscribe.  Furthermore, our County emergency communications group seems to have no real interest in maintaining the list, so I am thinking it is now a thing of the past.

Someone has suggested that I do something with an RSS reader to resume getting these outlooks automatically.

I’m currently using Microsoft 365 and Outlook e-mail on a Windows 10 laptop with the latest version of Jaws 2021.

While scrolling through my Outlook folder options, I do notice something called RSS feeds, but have no idea how to access or set up the needed RSS feed.

If anyone can give me a quick explanation of RSS feeds, and some steps for getting them set up, I’ll give it a try.

Thanks!

Dr.  Tom Behler From Michigan