moderated Setting Up RSS Feeds

Tom Behler

Yes, Brian, this is a good point, and is actually my ultimate goal.

Tom Behler

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: Monday, June 14, 2021 2:00 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Setting Up RSS Feeds

Tom,

Another suggestion, and it would require "institutional change," is once you have determined the correct RSS feed, stop being "the middle man" for SKYWARN.

Every link in a chain introduces potential weaknesses, and these RSS feeds are available to anyone on planet earth who wants them.  It's to the advantage of all concerned that they get the information "straight from the horse's mouth" as quickly as possible without needing another human being as the relay point.

If you find one that gives the information you've historically been expected to relay, it's better not to have to relay it, but have those who need it set up the RSS feed for themselves.

           ~ André Gide

Tom,

Another suggestion, and it would require "institutional change," is once you have determined the correct RSS feed, stop being "the middle man" for SKYWARN.

Every link in a chain introduces potential weaknesses, and these RSS feeds are available to anyone on planet earth who wants them.  It's to the advantage of all concerned that they get the information "straight from the horse's mouth" as quickly as possible without needing another human being as the relay point.

If you find one that gives the information you've historically been expected to relay, it's better not to have to relay it, but have those who need it set up the RSS feed for themselves.

           ~ André Gide

Tom Behler

You’re probably right, Brian.

I’m also working with our county amateur radio emergency coordinator to get the correct RSS feed link.

Once I have the link, it seems like it will be pretty simple to incorporate it into Outlook, although I’m not that far yet.

Tom Behler

Your best bet is to ask at the local office, as I don't think that an RSS feed exists with precisely the same information.  There are lots of them for hazardous weather listed by state and county.  Here's the page listing all of the available feeds for Michigan:  https://alerts.weather.gov/cap/mi.php?x=2

           ~ André Gide

Tom,

Your best bet is to ask at the local office, as I don't think that an RSS feed exists with precisely the same information.  There are lots of them for hazardous weather listed by state and county.  Here's the page listing all of the available feeds for Michigan:  https://alerts.weather.gov/cap/mi.php?x=2

           ~ André Gide

Tom Behler

Thanks for this, Brian.

Will take a look.

I’m looking for the RSS feed for the daily hazardous weather outlook for the National Weather Service office in Grand Rapids, MI.

Tom Behler