moderated slightly off topic: over ear headphones recommendations?

James English

Hello,

'twas a very sad day today as my trusty headphones decided they would
bite the dust and shuffle off for a place in the headphone retirement
home, Rochdale public rubbish dump. I am in the market for a good pair
of over-ear headphones with minimal sound leakage, low levels of lag
and great sound. I'm unsure how to set up wireless headphones, and so
therefore something with a wire would be useful; I have however heard
about wired/wireless combos, however unsure how well they work with
jaws and avoiding lag etc?

Any recommendations would be appreciated.
All the best,
- James

Chris Hill

Lag isn't a major problem with most modern bluetooth headphones. When you connect a cable, you prevent all possibility of lag. Ones I like pretty well are the Soundcore q20's.  They are a little bassy at times, but the built-in noise cancellation is really good for low steady noises, and you can easily turn it off or on.  The bluetooth seems fast, and it comes with a cable, which is often easier when not connecting to a cell phone.  Battery life on bluetooth is really good, and unless you have noise cancelling on, using with a cable shouldn't use the battery at all.

CH

On 6/12/2021 09:45, James English wrote:
Hello,

'twas a very sad day today as my trusty headphones decided they would
bite the dust and shuffle off for a place in the headphone retirement
home, Rochdale public rubbish dump. I am in the market for a good pair
of over-ear headphones with minimal sound leakage, low levels of lag
and great sound. I'm unsure how to set up wireless headphones, and so
therefore something with a wire would be useful; I have however heard
about wired/wireless combos, however unsure how well they work with
jaws and avoiding lag etc?

Any recommendations would be appreciated.
All the best,
- James

Richard Turner <richardturner42@...>

I have an old pair of the Plantronics BackBeat Sense headphones that are both cable and wireless.
While using the cable, the battery is not used.
I don't know if they are still made, but these have very good sound and not much leakage if any.
HTH,

Richard

'twas a very sad day today as my trusty headphones decided they would bite the dust and shuffle off for a place in the headphone retirement home, Rochdale public rubbish dump. I am in the market for a good pair of over-ear headphones with minimal sound leakage, low levels of lag and great sound. I'm unsure how to set up wireless headphones, and so therefore something with a wire would be useful; I have however heard about wired/wireless combos, however unsure how well they work with jaws and avoiding lag etc?

Any recommendations would be appreciated.
All the best,
- James

Phillip Gross

It helps to know what you are looking to spend. The options at $50 are a lot different than the $300 options.

I personally use the Bose QC 35 II headphones. I have had them for about 3 years now and use them daily. I would estimate I wear them an average of 8 hours a day including weekends. I use them for work and personal use. They have a Bluetooth option, and I do use it, but most of the time I plug them into my computer or iPad. The battery is supposed to last 20 hours if you’re using Bluetooth and 40 hours if they are plugged into a 3.5 jack and you’re just using noise canceling. The foam began coming out of the ear pieces about a year ago, but I replaced them for about $30.

Hank William Merchant

Good morning Phillip,

I am personally looking for a very loud pair of good earphones so I will be able to hear jaws loud enough in only my right hand side ear, (I have a bit of hearing loss in my right hand side ear), because I will not be able to use my other ear to also hear jaws, because I will need to use my left hand side ear solely to hear properly incoming cusstomer calls and talk to them through a separte one ear headset with a mike at an incoming calls call centre.

Can you maybe please tell me if these Bose QC 35 II headphones are quite loud? Any help you can maybe give me with this would be so very much appreciated! Much, much thanks in advance for any help!

Kindest regards,

Hank

__

It helps to know what you are looking to spend. The options at $50 are a lot different than the $300 options.

I personally use the Bose QC 35 II headphones. I have had them for about 3 years now and use them daily. I would estimate I wear them an average of 8 hours a day including weekends. I use them for work and personal use. They have a Bluetooth option, and I do use it, but most of the time I plug them into my computer or iPad. The battery is supposed to last 20 hours if you’re using Bluetooth and 40 hours if they are plugged into a 3.5 jack and you’re just using noise canceling. The foam began coming out of the ear pieces about a year ago, but I replaced them for about $30.

Richard Turner <richardturner42@...>

Hank,It sounds like ideally, you want something that would allow you to only use one ear; and what I remember about the Bose is that it would be very difficult to remove the left, or position it so your work headset could be worn.

Loudness somewhat depends on your system and the Jaws setting, but if you could use a Bluetooth single ear piece, there are lots of choices from Plantronics.

Richard

Web site: www.turner42.com

It helps to know what you are looking to spend. The options at $50 are a lot different than the $300 options.

I personally use the Bose QC 35 II headphones. I have had them for about 3 years now and use them daily. I would estimate I wear them an average of 8 hours a day including weekends. I use them for work and personal use. They have a Bluetooth option, and I do use it, but most of the time I plug them into my computer or iPad. The battery is supposed to last 20 hours if you’re using Bluetooth and 40 hours if they are plugged into a 3.5 jack and you’re just using noise canceling. The foam began coming out of the ear pieces about a year ago, but I replaced them for about $30.

Sieghard Weitzel <sieghard@...>

And if you work for a call centre you should talk to your boss regarding a custom solution where you have Jaws on one ear and your phone call on the other. This is definitely possible with wired headsets, probably more difficult with Bluetooth.