moderated JAWS sluggish on Dell Inspiron desktop machine

Brian Zolo

Awesome, definitely will highly consider going that route although I’ve had poor success with Bluetooth on windw7 so I’ve been a little gunshy about Bluetooth in windows ten.  Thanks so much for your response!  BZ!

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Phillip Gross
Sent: Wednesday, June 2, 2021 1:23 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: JAWS sluggish on Dell Inspiron desktop machine

There are a couple of ways around needing sited assistance for your installation.you can use Seeing AI to read your screen. Just make sure everything else is closed before you start. Also, make sure you have the keystrokes for restarting memorized. 

Your second option is the better one. Bluetooth doesn’t use your Sound driver. It works like an external sound card. Using Bluetooth headphones, if you have them, should allow you to do it all without losing your screen reader.

Phillip Gross

There are a couple of ways around needing sited assistance for your installation.you can use Seeing AI to read your screen. Just make sure everything else is closed before you start. Also, make sure you have the keystrokes for restarting memorized. 

Your second option is the better one. Bluetooth doesn’t use your Sound driver. It works like an external sound card. Using Bluetooth headphones, if you have them, should allow you to do it all without losing your screen reader.

Brian Zolo

Good morning, folks, Brian Zolo here in Gahanna, Ohio feel free to call me BZ, grin!  My wife Kathy and I have dell inspiron 5202’s and we’ve disabled the soundmax from startup and use the Realtek audio though theyre’s a new dell update for Realtek which I’ll need sighted assistance to install as it first uninstalls the old Realtek driver and then reboots to install the new Realtek driver.  Which soundblaster sound card do you recommend?  Do you go with a usb soundblaster card?  Thanks so much for your assistance, have a great day!  BZ!

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Tony
Sent: Tuesday, June 1, 2021 10:12 PM

I have a different Dell model but the onboard sound card required sighted help everytime there was a Dell update.  A Sound Blaster card solved the problem.

Tony

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Paul Faucheux
Sent: Tuesday, June 1, 2021 8:36 PM

hi this is paul. i have a dell inspiron just like your friend. i would suggest using an sound blaster sound card as the max audio pro software is not accessible with jaws 2020 or 2021. i tried getting generic drivers from realtek and no matter what i did the max audio software would be reinstalled. you cant disable that software. i also believe that your friend should update the drivers for the machine. also update the smart byte software that comes with the machine. that software is known to cause issues with screen readers.

On Tue, Jun 1, 2021 at 6:31 PM Milton Ota <mota1252@...> wrote:

Hi,

There could be a number of issues and the only way is that your friend give much more information.

I'd also be willing to take a look via tandam if the person is able to allow for a tandam session and lives in the United States. I would need a phone number and best time to contact the individual. If you or the person wants my help contact me privately off list and I can make arrangements to tandam.

My email is:
Mota1252@...

-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Shai
Sent: Tuesday, June 1, 2021 6:23 PM
Subject: JAWS sluggish on Dell Inspiron desktop machine

Hello,
I have a friend who uses JAWS2020 on a Dell inspiron desktop. They report that JAWS is running sluggish on the machine. The computer has
16 gigs of ram and they just purchased it in September of 2020 issue has been going on since that time.
I saw a message about this topic and someone suggested disabling Waymax audio from the start up tab which I suggested to my friend but they would prefer not to disable this since my understanding of this causes the headphone jack not to work and I believe that they have speakers that are connected to the tower.
Are there any other solutions to this issue? I was going to suggest that they get an external sound card but I don't know that that would alleviate the issue as I don't foresee there being any load from JAWS on the machine.
Thank you in advance for any responses.

Phillip Gross

Also, I’m not sure yet if removing the Realtec driver and using the Windows HD driver works to fix the memory issues or not. I did that Sunday night, but I haven’t worked in the last two days. I can tell you that the 3.5 audio jack works fine.

Phillip Gross

A couple of things. I started the thread that got around to talking about MaxxAudio. The issue there wasn’t that Jaws got sluggish. The issue was that I would end up using all of my ram after a few hours.

You do have a couple of options if you want to shut down MaxxAudio. As discussed in the thread you can disable it at startup. This will cause the 3.5 jack not to be recognized. You can get around this by using Bluetooth.

Another option is to remove the realtec driver and use the Windows High Definition Audio driver instead. On a laptop, if you’re ever going to use the internal speakers, this sucks. They become very tinny sounding. However, if you’re primarily using headphones or external speakers on a desktop, this should work fine.

But, again, JFW being sluggish wasn’t the problem I was having. I’m not going to say it’s not MaxxAudio because it does cause different problems for different people. It could also be the number of programs running on startup. Has your friend done virus and Malware scans on their computer?

Tony

I have a different Dell model but the onboard sound card required sighted help everytime there was a Dell update.  A Sound Blaster card solved the problem.

Tony

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Paul Faucheux
Sent: Tuesday, June 1, 2021 8:36 PM

hi this is paul. i have a dell inspiron just like your friend. i would suggest using an sound blaster sound card as the max audio pro software is not accessible with jaws 2020 or 2021. i tried getting generic drivers from realtek and no matter what i did the max audio software would be reinstalled. you cant disable that software. i also believe that your friend should update the drivers for the machine. also update the smart byte software that comes with the machine. that software is known to cause issues with screen readers.

Hi,

There could be a number of issues and the only way is that your friend give much more information.

I'd also be willing to take a look via tandam if the person is able to allow for a tandam session and lives in the United States. I would need a phone number and best time to contact the individual. If you or the person wants my help contact me privately off list and I can make arrangements to tandam.

My email is:
Mota1252@...

Hello,
I have a friend who uses JAWS2020 on a Dell inspiron desktop. They report that JAWS is running sluggish on the machine. The computer has
16 gigs of ram and they just purchased it in September of 2020 issue has been going on since that time.
I saw a message about this topic and someone suggested disabling Waymax audio from the start up tab which I suggested to my friend but they would prefer not to disable this since my understanding of this causes the headphone jack not to work and I believe that they have speakers that are connected to the tower.
Are there any other solutions to this issue? I was going to suggest that they get an external sound card but I don't know that that would alleviate the issue as I don't foresee there being any load from JAWS on the machine.

Paul Faucheux

Hi,

My email is:
Mota1252@...

Hello,

Milton Ota

Hi,

My email is:
Mota1252@gmail.com

Hello,

Shai

Hello,
I have a friend who uses JAWS2020 on a Dell inspiron desktop. They
report that JAWS is running sluggish on the machine. The computer has
16 gigs of ram and they just purchased it in September of 2020 issue
has been going on since that time.
I saw a message about this topic and someone suggested disabling
Waymax audio from the start up tab which I suggested to my friend but
they would prefer not to disable this since my understanding of this
causes the headphone jack not to work and I believe that they have
speakers that are connected to the tower.
Are there any other solutions to this issue? I was going to suggest
that they get an external sound card but I don't know that that would
alleviate the issue as I don't foresee there being any load from JAWS
on the machine.