moderated JAWS will not read a PDF book!

G. Gray

Hello All-

Hoping someone can help with this.  I have the latest version of JAWS 2021 and am using Windows 7.  I can open other PDF files on my computer...no problem.  I downloaded a PDF book this morning and JAWS says "empty page."  I had my wife look at the document. It is 537 pages and she can read it fine.

I have tried changing it to a text file...no dice.  Everything I have tried has failed...any suggestions?  Thanks!

--
Listening for the Shout!,
1 Thessalonians 4:16-18

George

How old is the book (or, more accurately, the PDF of the book)?  There still exist tons of image scanned PDFs made in the early days when OCR was not a standard part of doing a scan conversion to PDF.  It sounds like your wife is sighted, and a quick test as to whether this is an image scanned PDF versus one with a text layer is to open it in the PDF reader of your choosing then do a search on some dirt common word, like "the," or to search for a word that can be seen on the screen as she's looking at it.  If the search turns up nothing, you've got an image scanned PDF.  If that's the case, I suggest the following:
-----

Using Tracker Software’s PDF-Xchange Viewer to OCR Process Image Scanned PDFs

The question of OCR scanning Image Scanned PDFs that one knows contain text comes up again and again.  If you don't want to invest some huge amount of money in a fully dedicated specialty OCR suite there is an excellent option available for free from Tracker Software:  PDF-XChange Viewer.

The OCR functionality supports a base language set of English, French, German and Spanish. Additional language extension packages are available, at no cost, here.

This software is not 100% accessible, but what you need to perform an OCR scan on an Image Scanned PDF is.

You have nothing to lose but a few minutes time to test out either PDF-XChange Viewer (which uses the "old Windows interface style" and I know to be accessible for running OCR) or the free edition of PDF-XChange Editor to check out whether it suits your needs.  I personally prefer PDF-XChange Viewer.  Here are the step-by-step instructions I wrote for a client who was a grad student who kept having old image scanned PDFs assigned for reading by various professors on how to OCR process them using PDF-XChange Viewer:

Used when you receive a PDF that was scanned without Optical Character Recognition.  For reading stick to Adobe Reader or other reader of your choice as PDF-XChange Viewer is not 100% accessible.

1.     Open PDF-XChange Viewer from your start menu or the desktop.

2.     Hit ALT+F, O  to open a file.  You’ll need to know where it is and navigate there in the Open Dialog, then select it and open it.

3.     Hit CTRL+SHIFT+C to perform optical character recognition on the file.  This will be quick for small files, 20 pages or less, but will take some time for very large files, hundreds of pages.  Listen for the process to complete.  If you’re dealing with a very large file this could take a very long time.  Small files are done in under a minute, often in seconds.

4.     Hit ALT+F, S to save the file over itself with the OCR text now included.  If you wish to save the file under a different name and keep the original use ALT+F, A to Save As to do this instead.

Once you have done the OCR processing and saved the file afterward, the text layer is a permanent part of that PDF file, and does not have to be processed again.
----

If this book is 537 pages long, it will take several minutes for the OCR processing to complete, at a minimum.  A lot of the "how long" depends both on the size of the document itself and its layout.

           ~ André Gide

Milton Ota

Your problem might be that you are still running windows 7 and you should upgrade to Windows 10.

The other thing, you don't mention is what pdf reader are you using?

You should be using the Adobe Acrobat DC oranother pdf reader in its latest version.

You also don't mention if you have tried using the JAWS pdf converter available in JAWS 2021.

Hoping someone can help with this. I have the latest version of JAWS
2021 and am using Windows 7. I can open other PDF files on my computer...no problem. I downloaded a PDF book this morning and JAWS says "empty page." I had my wife look at the document. It is 537 pages and she can read it fine.

I have tried changing it to a text file...no dice. Everything I have tried has failed...any suggestions? Thanks!

--
Listening for the Shout!,
1 Thessalonians 4:16-18

George

G. Gray

My answers:

Your problem might be that you are still running windows 7 and you should upgrade to Windows 10.

Don't want to upgrade and if JAWS will read other PDF files...what's the issue with this one.

The other thing, you don't mention is what pdf reader are you using?

You should be using the Adobe Acrobat DC oranother pdf reader in its latest version.

I have the latest and greatest version, so this is again...not the issue.

You also don't mention if you have tried using the JAWS pdf converter available in JAWS 2021.

I also tried this and this likewise failed.

Listening for the Shout!,
1 Thessalonians 4:16-18

George

On 5/29/2021 9:45 AM, Milton Ota wrote:
Your problem might be that you are still running windows 7 and you should upgrade to Windows 10.

The other thing, you don't mention is what pdf reader are you using?

You should be using the Adobe Acrobat DC oranother pdf reader in its latest version.

You also don't mention if you have tried using the JAWS pdf converter available in JAWS 2021.

Hoping someone can help with this. I have the latest version of JAWS
2021 and am using Windows 7. I can open other PDF files on my computer...no problem. I downloaded a PDF book this morning and JAWS says "empty page." I had my wife look at the document. It is 537 pages and she can read it fine.

I have tried changing it to a text file...no dice. Everything I have tried has failed...any suggestions? Thanks!

Gerald Levy

When you use Acrobat Reader Pc to open PDF documents, you may sometimes get the message, "empty document".  This means that the text is contained within an inmage that Acrobat Reader PC cannot convert into speech.  But you can use the JAWS Convenient OCR feature to read this document.  Highlight the "empty document" and press the JAWS layered keystroke, Insert-Space bar.  You will hear a clicking sound to indicate that the layered keystroke has been invoked.  Then press O, followed by D to read the document using standard JAWS reading commands.

Gerald

On 5/29/2021 10:35 AM, G. Gray wrote:
Hello All-

Hoping someone can help with this.  I have the latest version of JAWS 2021 and am using Windows 7.  I can open other PDF files on my computer...no problem.  I downloaded a PDF book this morning and JAWS says "empty page."  I had my wife look at the document. It is 537 pages and she can read it fine.

I have tried changing it to a text file...no dice.  Everything I have tried has failed...any suggestions?  Thanks!

Richard Turner <richardturner42@...>

Try using Jaws Convenient OCR since it clearly is an image file of the text.
I assume Jaws OCR can run on Windows 7, but you'll have to try it to find out.
What I would do is point to the file in File Explorer/Windows Explorer, bring up the context menu with Shift+f10 and select
Convenient OCR With Jaws.
See what happens.
You should end up in a text view of the document and you can copy it to a word processor and save it.

Richard
- John Ruskin, 1819-1900

Hoping someone can help with this.  I have the latest version of JAWS
2021 and am using Windows 7.  I can open other PDF files on my computer...no problem.  I downloaded a PDF book this morning and JAWS says "empty page."  I had my wife look at the document. It is 537 pages and she can read it fine.

I have tried changing it to a text file...no dice.  Everything I have tried has failed...any suggestions?  Thanks!

--
Listening for the Shout!,
1 Thessalonians 4:16-18

George

https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.avast.com%2Fantivirus&;data=04%7C01%7C%7C3d239930fb834017a23408d922af0db0%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C637578957507537331%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C1000&amp;sdata=QUvU0ULXdSdFdETryFY1iARTR8YIfAbE5usyy1iHi%2BQ%3D&amp;reserved=0

kylee@...

Hi there
If you want to keep your machine and your network secure an upgrade to your OS is essential, since Microsoft will stop providing vital updates very soon, and stop supporting it after that. This means that if you call the answer desk they may not be able to assist you.
Cheers
Kylee

Hoping someone can help with this. I have the latest version of JAWS
2021 and am using Windows 7. I can open other PDF files on my computer...no problem. I downloaded a PDF book this morning and JAWS says "empty page." I had my wife look at the document. It is 537 pages and she can read it fine.

I have tried changing it to a text file...no dice. Everything I have tried has failed...any suggestions? Thanks!

Sieghard Weitzel <sieghard@...>

No need to highlight anything, if you open a document in Adobe Acrobat Jaws Key + Spacebar followed by O and then D recognizes the entire document regardless whether it is 1 page or 100 pages.

Also all the recent versions of Jaws recognize if a PDF is accessible or not and if it is not, i.e. it is an image, Jaws will tell you and ask if you want to perform OCR, by default focus is on Yes.

[...]

Justin Williams

Isn't there a better program for pdfs?

Something we discussed on here not to long ago?

Justin

[...]

T. Civitello

Interesting! I don’t have acrobat reader on my PC but I do have Adobe reader and this works with Adobe Reader.  Tom

Sent: Sunday, May 30, 2021 8:01 AM

[...]

It's the same thing,

Interesting! I don’t have acrobat reader on my PC but I do have Adobe reader and this works with Adobe Reader.  Tom

Sent: Sunday, May 30, 2021 8:01 AM

[...]

Ann Byrne

But if it's a large file, JAWS doesn't do so well. Kurzweil or OpenBook or QRead are more accurate solutions. OpenBook destroys the formatting, but QRead and Kurzweil do better. QRead cost $23 when i bought it a couple of years ago.

At 10:01 AM 5/30/2021, you wrote:

[...]

Dave Durber

Milton:

The problem is with the way a PDF file is created. It has absolutely nothing to do with what operating system a computer is running.

Dave