moderated USB condenser mic and JAWS2021

Shai

Hello,
I am considering a USB microphone for use in Zoom meetings in lieu of
a headset with microphone and I was wondering if JAWS speech would
come in on the microphone if I were to use this set up? The JAWS
speech coming through is something that I would like to alleviate.
This was occurring with the laptop and built-in microphone.
Thank you in advance for any responses.

--
Shai Wolman
Wolman technologies

Richard Turner <richardturner42@...>

If jaws is playing through your speakers, and the microphone is picking up the speakers, Jaws will come through the microphone.
I have not heard of any way to avoid Jaws being heard in a Zoom meeting unless you are wearing headphones.

Richard

www.turner42.com

On May 21, 2021, at 8:51 PM, Shai <shaiwol@...> wrote:

Hello,
I am considering a USB microphone for use in Zoom meetings in lieu of
a headset with microphone and I was wondering if JAWS speech would
come in on the microphone if I were to use this set up? The JAWS
speech coming through is something that I would like to alleviate.
This was occurring with the laptop and built-in microphone.
Thank you in advance for any responses.

--
Shai Wolman
Wolman technologies
(619)894-6587
Providing training to children and adults that empowers them to be
productive and successful with their assistive technology/computing
tasks.
atvistech@...

John Covici

Once you plug in the mic, if it has a headphone jack, all sounds will
come through that jack. So, now you have to change your sound output
device back to what you want.

I hope this is what you were looking for.

On Sat, 22 May 2021 01:18:33 -0400,
Richard Turner wrote:

[1 <text/plain; utf-8 (base64)>]
If jaws is playing through your speakers, and the microphone is picking up the speakers, Jaws will come through the microphone.
I have not heard of any way to avoid Jaws being heard in a Zoom meeting unless you are wearing headphones.

Richard
"Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people." -- Eleanor Roosevelt

www.turner42.com

On May 21, 2021, at 8:51 PM, Shai <shaiwol@gmail.com> wrote:

Hello,
I am considering a USB microphone for use in Zoom meetings in lieu of
a headset with microphone and I was wondering if JAWS speech would
come in on the microphone if I were to use this set up? The JAWS
speech coming through is something that I would like to alleviate.
This was occurring with the laptop and built-in microphone.
Thank you in advance for any responses.

--
Shai Wolman
Wolman technologies
(619)894-6587
Providing training to children and adults that empowers them to be
productive and successful with their assistive technology/computing
tasks.
atvistech@gmail.com

[2 <text/html; utf-8 (base64)>]
How do
you spend it?

John Covici wb2una
covici@ccs.covici.com

Dan Longmore

Yeti makes a nice USB microphone. Also has headphone jack so you can hear audio. Or you can leave audio through speakers and just use the mic. However, in this setup mic will pick up the speakers.
I use the computer speakers and the Yeti mic and when I need to I plug headphones into the headphone jack on bottom of mic.
Logitech also makes nice USB mic / headsets.
Dan

I am considering a USB microphone for use in Zoom meetings in lieu of a headset with microphone and I was wondering if JAWS speech would come in on the microphone if I were to use this set up? The JAWS speech coming through is something that I would like to alleviate.
This was occurring with the laptop and built-in microphone.
Thank you in advance for any responses.

--
Shai Wolman
Wolman technologies
(619)894-6587
Providing training to children and adults that empowers them to be productive and successful with their assistive technology/computing tasks.
atvistech@gmail.com

WESLEY BURDEN

I have two yeti USB microphones and that's all I use and love them

I am considering a USB microphone for use in Zoom meetings in lieu of a headset with microphone and I was wondering if JAWS speech would come in on the microphone if I were to use this set up? The JAWS speech coming through is something that I would like to alleviate.
This was occurring with the laptop and built-in microphone.
Thank you in advance for any responses.

--
Shai Wolman
Wolman technologies
(619)894-6587
Providing training to children and adults that empowers them to be productive and successful with their assistive technology/computing tasks.
atvistech@gmail.com

If JAWS is having its speech output by speakers, and that sound is in range of the microphone, you cannot avoid what you're trying to avoid.  And that's even with multiple sound cards.  Ambient sound is ambient sound and it will be picked up by a microphone, or at least an omnidirectional microphone.

Your best bet is a set of earbuds or a headset, with sound output directed there, while using either a built-in microphone on the laptop or an external one that's just a microphone or the microphone on a webcam for a desktop.

You just can't have the JAWS output as ambient sound that can be picked up by your microphone.

           ~ André Gide