From: Richard Turner
Sent: Sunday, May 16, 2021 8:46 AM
To: Main JFW user list
Subject: My gripe about all the griping

"Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people." -- Eleanor Roosevelt

That quote certainly fits this list.
If you have a complaint about someone on the list, write them off list, or write the owner. Please stop wasting everyone else's time on the list. Or, for goodness sake, make it its own thread so we don't continue opening messages that we think are about a topic, only to find it is a gripe...

Gerald Levy

This is all well and good but would you happen to know who the owner of this list is? Just because there is a link to contact the owner at the bottom of every message does not necessarily mean that there is still an active owner running this list.   The owner used to be James Honya but he is apparently no longer in charge.  So who is running this list now?  Is there even anyone to complain to? Or has this list become an unmoderated chat forum where anything goes?

Gerald

On 5/16/2021 11:46 AM, Richard Turner wrote:
"Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people." -- Eleanor Roosevelt

That quote certainly fits this list.
If you have a complaint about someone on the list, write them off list, or write the owner. Please stop wasting everyone else's time on the list. Or, for goodness sake, make it its own thread so we don't continue opening messages that we think are about a topic, only to find it is a gripe...

Richard Turner

I have no idea who or if there is an owner.
Frankly, it makes no difference. Griping to the list accomplishes exactly nothing, but wasting people's time.

Richard

www.turner42.com

On May 16, 2021, at 9:04 AM, Gerald Levy via groups.io <bwaylimited@...> wrote:

[...]

I have had recent private correspondence with the Group Owner, who is the same person who's owned this group since my having joined it.

He long ago elected to go the "very light moderation indeed" route and only steps in if outrageous and completely untenable behaviors arise.

And when it comes to any Groups.io group, you, the end user, have exquisite control over what you do, and do not, have land in your inbox.  If you want to exercise it, then read:  Controlling the Messages You Receive via E-Mail from Groups.io (docx format)

           ~ André Gide

Mario

my notes say that James Molone is or was the owner and moderator.
James Homuth is or was the administrator.
I don't know if I should provide their email address, but I will email you privately if you want to try to email them? I'm not sure if either will work since I haven't had a need to use either.

[...]

James Homuth

Your notes are incorrect. James Molone is not a moderator here.

James,
List Admin

On Sun, May 16, 2021 at 12:59 PM, Mario wrote:
James Homuth is or was the administrator.
-
There is no such thing, in Groups.io parlance, as an administrator.  The highest "Grand Poobah" for a group is its owner or owners (the person who initially sets up a group can designate co-owners).  I've never known of this group to have a moderator, as in someone assigned as moderator and given that role by the software.  If one exists, I never recall having seen any indication of same in public exchanges.

The current group owner does still receive messages sent to the group owner (and I asked this after I'd sent one, not gotten a response [which was unusual] and used his private address, which I have and will not share on the group, since that's both inappropriate and I now know that owner messages are reaching him).  Based on my recent exchange I believe that anything that does not rise to the level of what he deems to be "a crisis" is going to get any reply.  And as group owner, it is entirely his prerogative what he does, and does not, choose to do or reply to.

           ~ André Gide

By the way, the prior message was intentional hair-splitting about what Groups.io itself does and some common parlance.

If a group has assigned moderator(s) along with owner(s) they can both generally use the #adminnotice hashtag because all are in administrative roles.  Groups.io just doesn't use the title Admin or Administrator.  Whether a group owner does, as James just did, is a completely different matter.

           ~ André Gide

Randy Barnett

and your gripe is more valid than everybody else's right? hypocritical?

Randy Barnett

On Sun, May 16, 2021 at 03:53 PM, Randy Barnett wrote:
and your gripe is more valid than everybody else's right? hypocritical?
-
Valid.  Yes, because it's accurately labeled.  No one who has opened any message in this topic should be surprised about the content.

Here's the original complaint, which matches the topic exactly, and is entirely valid: "If you have a complaint about someone on the list, write them off list, or write the owner. Please stop wasting everyone else's time on the list. Or, for goodness sake, make it its own thread so we don't continue opening messages that we think are about a topic, only to find it is a gripe..."

If you don't want to read griping about griping, hitting that Mute this topic link at the bottom of the first message, containing the above, solves your (the generic you) problem.

           ~ André Gide

Shan Noyes

Who exactly is the administrator of this group Brian you say you’ve had conversations with them who is it thanks have a good day
Shan

On May 16, 2021, at 10:40 AM, Brian Vogel <britechguy@...> wrote:

I have had recent private correspondence with the Group Owner, who is the same person who's owned this group since my having joined it.

He long ago elected to go the "very light moderation indeed" route and only steps in if outrageous and completely untenable behaviors arise.

And when it comes to any Groups.io group, you, the end user, have exquisite control over what you do, and do not, have land in your inbox.  If you want to exercise it, then read:  Controlling the Messages You Receive via E-Mail from Groups.io (docx format)

           ~ André Gide

Shan,

         The group owner has already posted in this very topic, and elected to identify himself as "List Admin."  Answered before ever being asked.  See this message, https://jfw.groups.io/g/main/message/89482, paying attention to the closing.

          Those who wish to communicate with Group Owners, regarding the group(s) they own, should do so through the group owner address.  The recipient of those messages can reply, or not, as they see fit.  Just because you (the generic you) send a message to a group owner doesn't mean that they'll deem it worthy of response.  That's the individual owner or owners call(s).

           ~ André Gide

Tyler Wood

There is a mute this topic link at the bottom of quite literally every message in this, and any other, groups.io list. Put simply, if you don’t like it, mute it.

It seems that despite the amount of posts on this exact topic, nobody is choosing to exercise this use of the mute function, or any other (such as searching the archives).

On Sun, May 16, 2021 at 04:57 PM, Tyler Wood wrote:
It seems that despite the amount of posts on this exact topic, nobody is choosing to exercise this use of the mute function, or any other
-
And, just so I know I've put the information out there, again, in a tutorial specifically aimed at screen reader users:

Controlling the Messages You Receive via E-Mail from Groups.io (docx)

Download it, read it, and use the ones that suit your needs.  Groups.io gives end users of the e-mail interface an exquisite level of control over what they do, and do not, receive in their inboxes.  But it is up to those end users to use the features available to them.  It's also up to end users not to complain, endlessly, when a function such as Mute this topic, available in each and every message you receive, when they choose not to use it.  Every group has had topics that, even when interesting at the outset, grow old.  Mute 'em.  And if you feel overwhelmed by the group traffic for any given group, then set up topic preview, described at length in the tutorial.  The power is in your hands, use it.

           ~ André Gide

Martian.Lady

Hi
    Sometimes griping helps.  If a person has no one to whom they can complain, then they need a place to express their discontent.  If people don't like it, assuming it doesn't get to be extreme, there is a delete key.

Marsha

CJ &AA MAY

Where is the moderator? My topic about label printers which are accessible with Jaws was barred, why isn’t this topic too?

Alison

    Sometimes griping helps.  If a person has no one to whom they can complain, then they need a place to express their discontent.  If people don't like it, assuming it doesn't get to be extreme, there is a delete key.

Marsha

CJ &AA MAY

Please, can’t we drop this?

Let’s get back to what this list is for.

Alison

I have had recent private correspondence with the Group Owner, who is the same person who's owned this group since my having joined it.

He long ago elected to go the "very light moderation indeed" route and only steps in if outrageous and completely untenable behaviors arise.

And when it comes to any Groups.io group, you, the end user, have exquisite control over what you do, and do not, have land in your inbox.  If you want to exercise it, then read:  Controlling the Messages You Receive via E-Mail from Groups.io (docx format)

           ~ André Gide

James Homuth

Alison,

You are not moderated on this list. You have also not sent any email about printers of any kind to this list.

James,

List Admin

Where is the moderator? My topic about label printers which are accessible with Jaws was barred, why isn’t this topic too?

Alison

    Sometimes griping helps.  If a person has no one to whom they can complain, then they need a place to express their discontent.  If people don't like it, assuming it doesn't get to be extreme, there is a delete key.

Marsha

David Diamond

I just hit the delete key when this topic comes up. Lamenting about anything just gets me kicked off groups.