From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of James Benstead
Sent: Wednesday, May 12, 2021 10:24 AM
To: jfw@groups.io
Subject: Multi select list box not allowing multiple selections

I'm having problems with an installation of JAWS 2020 that doesn't seem to be managing multi select list boxes properly. It lets me select multiple items by using shift and the arrow keys, but if I try to do the same by using control it doesn't work: when I hold down control and then press the arrow keys nothing happens. I've tried the numpad arrow keys and the regular arrow keys.

Any ideas what's going on here?

Jim

--

Too brief? Here's why! http://emailcharter.org

James Benstead

Apologies, this is in Internet Explorer (yes, Internet Explorer and not Edge; this PC still runs IE).

I’m expecting things to work as you describe. Using shift to select adjacent items works fine. Using control and space to select non-adjacent items doesn’t work.

On 12 May 2021, 18:31 +0100, Sieghard Weitzel <sieghard@...>, wrote:

Can you be more specific? Is this in File Explorer? Just as an example, in File Explorer if you want to select three files which are one underneath another you hold the shift key and press down arrow until they are selected. However, if you want to select file 1 and 3, you go to the first file, then hold the control key and arrow down twice to the third file, then you can either let go of control and press spacebar to select file 3 or you can continue holding the control key and press space. If all you want to do is to select two files you can let go and press spacebar, if you plan to select more files after selecting the second file you may as well continue holding it, but deven if you do let go and select file 2 by pressing the spacebar, you can always hold control again and arrow to more files to select them, the first two files will remain selected. The point is that unlike when holding shift and arrowing which also selects the files, with control you typically have to press the spacebar to select the files after you get there.

I'm having problems with an installation of JAWS 2020 that doesn't seem to be managing multi select list boxes properly. It lets me select multiple items by using shift and the arrow keys, but if I try to do the same by using control it doesn't work: when I hold down control and then press the arrow keys nothing happens. I've tried the numpad arrow keys and the regular arrow keys.

Any ideas what's going on here?

Jim

--

Too brief? Here's why! http://emailcharter.org

Mario

for example, if you wanted to select file number 1 and 3 to copy them to another folder, you'd navigate to file #1, press and hold the control key down, arrow down to file #3, and press the spacebar. then release the control key and press control+c to copy them to the clipboard. navigate to the folder where you want the files to be duplicated and presss control+v.

I'm having problems with an installation of JAWS 2020 that doesn't
seem to be managing multi select list boxes properly. It lets me
select multiple items by using shift and the arrow keys, but if I try
to do the same by using control it doesn't work: when I hold down
control and then press the arrow keys nothing happens. I've tried the
numpad arrow keys and the regular arrow keys.

Any ideas what's going on here?

Jim

--

Too brief? Here's why! http://emailcharter.org <http://emailcharter.org>

James Benstead

Thanks. This usually works for me, but for some reason it isn’t working on this installation of JAWS. When I hold control and press down nothing happens.

Any ideas?

On 12 May 2021, 19:26 +0100, Mario <mrb620@...>, wrote:
[...]

Sieghard Weitzel <sieghard@...>

I am a bit confused now, you mentioned Internet Explorer and not Edge so are you trying to select something on a website or are you talking about files in a folder? If so then this has nothing to do with either IE or Edge.

If you are talking about files then all I can say is to make sure you are using either the Detailed View or List View, in Windows 10 you can press Control + Shift + 6 on the number row when you are in a folder to select the Details view and Control + Shift + 5 on the number row to select just a file list without file size, date etc.

I'm having problems with an installation of JAWS 2020 that doesn't
seem to be managing multi select list boxes properly. It lets me
select multiple items by using shift and the arrow keys, but if I try
to do the same by using control it doesn't work: when I hold down
control and then press the arrow keys nothing happens. I've tried the
numpad arrow keys and the regular arrow keys.

Any ideas what's going on here?

Jim

--

Too brief? Here's why! http://emailcharter.org <http://emailcharter.org>

Mario

sometimes when this happens to me, unloading (insert+f4) and reloading JAWS clears the problem. you can also press insert+windows+f4 which does the same using one keystroke. it'll take JAWS 15 to 30 seconds to restart if using this keystroke, so be patient.

I'm having problems with an installation of JAWS 2020 that doesn't
seem to be managing multi select list boxes properly. It lets me
select multiple items by using shift and the arrow keys, but if I try
to do the same by using control it doesn't work: when I hold down
control and then press the arrow keys nothing happens. I've tried the
numpad arrow keys and the regular arrow keys.

Any ideas what's going on here?

Jim

--

Too brief? Here's why! http://emailcharter.org <http://emailcharter.org>

James Benstead

I can't see where I've talked about files in a folder -- I've checked the posts I made and as far as I can tell I've been referring to "items in a list" throughout. Either way, that's what I'm having problems with: items in a multi-select list box, in Internet Explorer.

--

On Wed, 12 May 2021 at 21:28, Sieghard Weitzel <sieghard@...> wrote:

[...]

Thanks Mario, I'll try that.

--

On Thu, 13 May 2021 at 00:42, Mario <mrb620@...> wrote:
sometimes when this happens to me, unloading (insert+f4) and reloading
JAWS clears the problem. you can also press insert+windows+f4 which does
the same using one keystroke. it'll take JAWS 15 to 30 seconds to
restart if using this keystroke, so be patient.

I'm having problems with an installation of JAWS 2020 that doesn't
seem to be managing multi select list boxes properly. It lets me
select multiple items by using shift and the arrow keys, but if I try
to do the same by using control it doesn't work: when I hold down
control and then press the arrow keys nothing happens. I've tried the
numpad arrow keys and the regular arrow keys.

Any ideas what's going on here?

Jim

--

Too brief? Here's why! http://emailcharter.org <http://emailcharter.org>

John Covici

I don't think you can do what you want using internet explorer, or
other browsers for that matter. Maybe try edge or Chrome and see if
it works in one of those. IE is about dead, I think it goes away in a
couple of months.

[1 <text/plain; UTF-8 (quoted-printable)>]

On Wed, 12 May 2021 at 21:28, Sieghard Weitzel <sieghard@live.ca> wrote:

[...]

[2 <text/html; UTF-8 (quoted-printable)>]
How do
you spend it?

John Covici wb2una
covici@ccs.covici.com

James Benstead

Thank you! I tested it on another Win10 machine running IE11 and it didn't work, but it worked fine on that machine in Chrome. It's an issue with IE11 specifically, not JAWS, as I tried the same functionality without JAWS running and that didn't work either.

More generally, while IE is ending its natural life I think a number of institutions will be retaining it for quite some time. We had a similar thing with IE6, which I was finding on all sorts of Windows machines (in the UK military and health service, for example) years after Microsoft had abandoned it.

--

On Thu, May 13, 2021 at 07:58 AM, James Benstead wrote:
I think a number of institutions will be retaining it for quite some time.
-
I don't.  We're at the end of the "quite some time" to which you refer.  A very great many institutions have already made it impossible to use their sites with IE - they bar entry.  I'm counting the days until a feature update arrives when IE is actually finally, permanently purged from the Windows ecosystem.

Why You Should Dump Internet Explorer | Daniel Miessler       (Dec 2019)

The perils of using Internet Explorer as your default browser ...           (March 2019 – straight from the proverbial horse’s mouth)

Microsoft cybersecurity expert: Please, stop using Internet ...  (Feb 2019)

Microsoft security chief: IE is not a browser, so stop using ...     (Feb 2019)

Microsoft wants you to stop using Internet Explorer                    (Feb 2019)

12 reasons not to use Internet Explorer, ever | Computerworld  (June 2011 – Even more valid now)

And if you web search on “Why you should not use Internet Explorer” the list of returned results is long, and virtually unanimous in the expert (and non-expert) opinion that you should not.

           ~ André Gide

Sieghard Weitzel <sieghard@...>

And if it had been clear from the start that this was an issue in IE I would have either skipped/deleted the message or replied suggesting to get on with life and download a Chromium based browser such as Google Chrome, Microsoft Edge or Brave. One very nice feature in Edge is the Imersive Reader which in other browsers is not present unless you try one of a number of different extensions, but Brave also has it's benefits in that it is probably the browser which does the least tracking and has built-in ad filtering. As others already pointed out, IE is pretty much dead and unless you have a very specific reason to use it for a website which is in itself behind the times there is no good reason to still use it.

On Thu, May 13, 2021 at 11:12 AM, Sieghard Weitzel wrote:
suggesting to get on with life and download a Chromium based browser such as Google Chrome, Microsoft Edge or Brave.
-
Don't forget Vivaldi, too!

Your advice, by the way, is what any IT professional would say, too.  IE is now zombie software and has been for some time.  The minute someone cops to using it my first statement is to try a different browser, and stay with that different browser.  If the original issue remains then report back.  It very seldom remains.

           ~ André Gide

James Benstead

Oh, I completely agree with you that IE should go. And public facing websites are, quite rightly, killing IE. I'm thinking more of applications that are used in house and which rely on IE, or some IT department that is slow to upgrade because of "security concerns". Legacy software is a funny thing; I often end up writing JAWS scripts to get AS/400 type databases to work in a Win10 environment, and AS/400 is decades old now.

--

On Thu, 13 May 2021 at 15:48, Brian Vogel <britechguy@...> wrote:
[...]

Apologies for wasting your time -- I had no idea this was an IE issue. I do now. The guy I'm helping is a doctor, and he's forced to use IE as part of his job. I'd never encountered this weird bug before, and as I assumed that this kind of control was common across all areas of Windows I didn't think it was IE specific.

James Benstead wrote:

> [1  <text/plain; UTF-8 (quoted-printable)>]
> I can't see where I've talked about files in a folder -- I've checked the
> posts I made and as far as I can tell I've been referring to "items in a
> list" throughout. Either way, that's what I'm having problems with: items
> in a multi-select list box, in Internet Explorer.
>
> --
> Too brief? Here's why! http://emailcharter.org
>

> On Wed, 12 May 2021 at 21:28, Sieghard Weitzel <sieghard@...> wrote:
>
> > I am a bit confused now, you mentioned Internet Explorer and not Edge so
> > are you trying to select something on a website or are you talking about
> > files in a folder? If so then this has nothing to do with either IE or Edge.
> >
> > If you are talking about files then all I can say is to make sure you are
> > using either the Detailed View or List View, in Windows 10 you can press
> > Control + Shift + 6 on the number row when you are in a folder to select
> > the Details view and Control + Shift + 5 on the number row to select just a
> > file list without file size, date etc.

kylee@...

Hi there

Isn't it somewhat ironic that businesses think they're being security savvy when they don't update?

Cheers

Kylee

[...]

Nermin

Hi,

I do not remember exactly which one of the following hotkeys it is, but there is a way of starting the selection process for items in lists using Internet Explorer.

I am not going to go into detail about why IE should be dumped.

So,     While on the list, either use F8, F9, or the respective keys in combination with SHIFT to start the selection process.

Tick the items you want and see if it does anything.

It's been so long ago that I've encountered such lists.

Good luck,

Nermin

James Benstead

It seems crazy to me that institutions don't upgrade because of "security" issues, and when they cite "security" concerns I'm often not convinced that's what the real problem is. I suspect it's just that they have a lot of computers running software that they know works on their current network, and the costs and complexities of upgrading are then far, far greater than, say, a home user who is upgrading from one version of a web browser to another.

I used to write reports for UK Government institutions describing the accommodations they needed to make for their employees, and with a few of those institutions I spent a couple of years prefacing every report with words to the effect of "Windows XP stopped being support in 2014 but you're still running it, and that prevents this employee getting access to the software they need in order to do their job". I don't know when the upgrades were made (or even if they were!) but I was using that boilerplate into the late summer of 2016.

--

On Fri, 14 May 2021 at 03:19, <kylee@...> wrote:

[...]

Nermin, thank you so much! The keystroke that worked for me was SHIFT + F8. It's defined here as being a Windows 3.1 keystroke (!!!) that "[a]llows multiple selection of non-contiguous items from any list". It actually seems more user friendly than the standard CTRL + arrow method, but unfortunately it only seems to work in IE.