Thanks for all of your suggestions.  I have solved this by going into Word and unchecking the boxes in Options Trust Center Protected view.

Marty Hutchings

The Gospel is freely accessible to all.

On 5/11/2021 6:47 PM, Ron Pelletier wrote:
Hi Marty,

To read attachments, the JAWS keystroke is insert a. Place yourself on the document you want and hit alt down arrow to pull down the menu of what you can do with the attachment. You can open it, print it, save all attachments and so on.
To read a document in protected view, the standard is to press F6 and arrow down to allow editing and hit enter.

Ron & Danvers

-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Marty Hutchings
Sent: Tuesday, May 11, 2021 5:13 PM
To: jfw@groups.io
Subject: Reading documents in protected view

I am using JAWS 21 with Windows 10 and Thunderbird email. How can I get JAWS to read attachments and downloaded documents that come down in protected view?

Thanks.

Marty

The Gospel is fully accessible to all.

Ron Pelletier

Hi Marty,

To read attachments, the JAWS keystroke is insert a. Place yourself on the document you want and hit alt down arrow to pull down the menu of what you can do with the attachment. You can open it, print it, save all attachments and so on.
To read a document in protected view, the standard is to press F6 and arrow down to allow editing and hit enter.

Ron & Danvers

I am using JAWS 21 with Windows 10 and Thunderbird email. How can I get JAWS to read attachments and downloaded documents that come down in protected view?

Thanks.

Marty

The Gospel is fully accessible to all.

Or, consider: Adjusting Protected View Settings in MS-Office Programs

           ~ André Gide

Ann Byrne

Press alt=+f, then i, then e and enter. Or f6 to get to the status bar, tab to allow editing, and enter.

Good luck!

If you alt-tab away from the document and alt-tab back, JAWS will read it even if it's in protected view.