From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: Friday, May 7, 2021 4:03 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: JAWS Equivalent of NVDA Focus Highlight

Hello All,

I was working with a JAWS user remotely this evening and, as is typical, JAWS was not set up by default to highlight on screen the equivalent of where JAWS has focus in the Virtual Cursor.  I went in to Visual settings, but still couldn't make what happens with NVDA's Focus Highlight, or similar, happen in JAWS 2021.

It could be that JAWS must be restarted, but it did not give me any indication of that when I tweaked several settings.  For those of us who have sight, this sort of feature is a godsend when assisting, and particularly if we're doing so remotely and cannot actually hear JAWS at all well during the process.  There's no issue when I'm doing the pointing and clicking, but if I want the person I'm assisting to try something out, it really helps me to be able to see exactly where they are and what has focus.

Any guidance is appreciated.  (And let me tell you hiding these settings under "Utilities" in the JAWS menu structure made no sense to me!)

           ~ André Gide

Mike B.

Hi Richard,

I've never messed around with these settings since I've never had any problems whith sighted people knowing where I'm at.

Go to Settings Center, Insert + 6, then Settings Center default all applications, Control, shift + D.
Now find the, Visual Tracking, folder #25 of 27 and open this folder.

Down arrow to, Visual Settings, and open this subfolder to see the settings, and let the fun begin!  LOL

Stay safe and take care.  Mike.

From: Brad Snyder
To turn on this feature, do the following:
1.  Open JAWS Settings Center using Insert + NumberRow 6.
2.  Press CTRL + Shift + D, to open Default Settings for All Apps.
3.  Type Cursor into the search edit box.
4.  Press the down arrow until you get to Highlight Virtual PC Cursor, and press the Spacebar to check the box.
5.  Press the Tab key twice to the OK button, then press the Spacebar to save changes and exit the dialog.
HTH.
 Brad -

Stay safe and take care.  Mike.