moderated Out Of Curiosity...

Albert,

Classic Shell and its analogs are all installed programs (now often referred to as Desktop apps in the Windows 10 era) and they can be removed from the computer just like any other installed program can.  I generally use Control Panel, Programs & Features directly to locate and uninstall.

I so happen to have done this recently for a desktop machine that was being donated to VSDB that had Classic Shell on it.

You do not touch Windows 10 itself.  Once Classic Shell is removed, the native UI reappears.
--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 20H2, Build 19042  

It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not.

~ André Gide

Albert Cutolo

Good morning Brian, 

Around six or seven months ago, I purchased my windows laptop computer from Computers for the blind.  What I’d like to ask you is, I think that the windows  shell classic option may be installed on this computer.  Since you have a lot of knowledge about this, is there or can this option be uninstalled, and if that is the case, would I have to uninstall and reinstall windows ten on     this computer?    

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: Wednesday, May 5, 2021 11:11 AM
To: main@...
Subject: Re: Out Of Curiosity...

On Wed, May 5, 2021 at 01:41 AM, Sieghard Weitzel wrote:

I recommend you learn Windows 10 as it is without trying to make it behave like Windows 7. It really is not so much different and there are resources available. If you use something like Classic Shell there is always the risk that one day it will stop working and I find, for example, that Windows 10 is much more like Windows 7 than Windows 8 was.

-
A huge, Amen!!, to that!

I have been trying to get clients to understand that using shells to hide the native user interfaces of any given operating system, in an attempt to make it look like another, is a bad idea that almost always ultimately results in pain.  I know of very few users who never, ever have occasion to use someone else's computer, and if you use something like Classic Shell to hide the native Windows 10 User Interface you'll be like a deer in the headlights when you eventually have to deal with it.  And, as you've noted, it's really not all that much different, and far less different than Windows 8 was to everything that came before it.

Using things like Classic Shell (which, by the way, has been out of support since 2017 and eventually is going to become incompatible with Windows 10, who knows when), Open Shell, Start10, or similar is in no way similar to, say, using an alternative launcher under Android.  These utilities, unlike launchers, have as their purpose very substantially altering the user interface rather than adding "bells and whistles" on top of the basic native interface. 
--

It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not.

~ André Gide

On Wed, May 5, 2021 at 01:41 AM, Sieghard Weitzel wrote:
I recommend you learn Windows 10 as it is without trying to make it behave like Windows 7. It really is not so much different and there are resources available. If you use something like Classic Shell there is always the risk that one day it will stop working and I find, for example, that Windows 10 is much more like Windows 7 than Windows 8 was.
-
A huge, Amen!!, to that!

I have been trying to get clients to understand that using shells to hide the native user interfaces of any given operating system, in an attempt to make it look like another, is a bad idea that almost always ultimately results in pain.  I know of very few users who never, ever have occasion to use someone else's computer, and if you use something like Classic Shell to hide the native Windows 10 User Interface you'll be like a deer in the headlights when you eventually have to deal with it.  And, as you've noted, it's really not all that much different, and far less different than Windows 8 was to everything that came before it.

Using things like Classic Shell (which, by the way, has been out of support since 2017 and eventually is going to become incompatible with Windows 10, who knows when), Open Shell, Start10, or similar is in no way similar to, say, using an alternative launcher under Android.  These utilities, unlike launchers, have as their purpose very substantially altering the user interface rather than adding "bells and whistles" on top of the basic native interface. 
--

~ André Gide

I don't think you can import Jaws 15 settings into Jaws 2021 any more.

Also, this is strictly my opinion and my advice, I recommend you learn Windows 10 as it is without trying to make it behave like Windows 7. It really is not so much different and there are resources available. If you use something like Classic Shell there is always the risk that one day it will stop working and I find, for example, that Windows 10 is much more like Windows 7 than Windows 8 was. You have a comprehensive Settings app similar to what you have on a smartphone, but while certain things in my opinion are easier to access via Settings, there still is the familiar Control Panel as well as the device manager.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Glenn / Lenny
Sent: Tuesday, May 4, 2021 7:45 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Out Of Curiosity...

Annabelle, just be sure to export your old Jaws settings so you can import them into the new Jaws.

Glenn

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Tuesday, May 04, 2021 9:34 PM

Subject: Out Of Curiosity...

Is the latest version of JAWS similar to versions like JAWS 15? The reason why I ask this is because I'm getting a new computer to replace my old Dell. This one will have Windows 10, which I initially wasn't looking forward to, but I actually found out that you can make Windows 10 behave like prior versions, thanks to https://www.classicshell.net.

Glenn / Lenny

Annabelle, just be sure to export your old Jaws settings so you can import them into the new Jaws.
Glenn

Is the latest version of JAWS similar to versions like JAWS 15? The reason why I ask this is because I'm getting a new computer to replace my old Dell. This one will have Windows 10, which I initially wasn't looking forward to, but I actually found out that you can make Windows 10 behave like prior versions, thanks to https://www.classicshell.net.

Glenn / Lenny

Hi Annabelle,
The only differences might be something you haven't learned yet.
So whatever you knew in using Jaws will be the same.
Glenn

Richard Turner

Yes and no.
It is 7 versions newer. It is far more complex because it does so very much more, like OCR, picture description, and more.
But, I think the menus are very similar to the older Jaws.
You may want to install the demo version which runs for 40 minutes before you have to reboot.

Richard 
"Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people." -- Eleanor Roosevelt

www.turner42.com

On May 4, 2021, at 7:34 PM, Annabelle Susan Morison <foristnights@...> wrote:

Annabelle Susan Morison