From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: Wednesday, May 5, 2021 11:11 AM
To: main@...
Subject: Re: Out Of Curiosity...

On Wed, May 5, 2021 at 01:41 AM, Sieghard Weitzel wrote:

I recommend you learn Windows 10 as it is without trying to make it behave like Windows 7. It really is not so much different and there are resources available. If you use something like Classic Shell there is always the risk that one day it will stop working and I find, for example, that Windows 10 is much more like Windows 7 than Windows 8 was.

-
A huge, Amen!!, to that!

I have been trying to get clients to understand that using shells to hide the native user interfaces of any given operating system, in an attempt to make it look like another, is a bad idea that almost always ultimately results in pain.  I know of very few users who never, ever have occasion to use someone else's computer, and if you use something like Classic Shell to hide the native Windows 10 User Interface you'll be like a deer in the headlights when you eventually have to deal with it.  And, as you've noted, it's really not all that much different, and far less different than Windows 8 was to everything that came before it.

Using things like Classic Shell (which, by the way, has been out of support since 2017 and eventually is going to become incompatible with Windows 10, who knows when), Open Shell, Start10, or similar is in no way similar to, say, using an alternative launcher under Android.  These utilities, unlike launchers, have as their purpose very substantially altering the user interface rather than adding "bells and whistles" on top of the basic native interface.

           ~ André Gide

[...]

I don't think you can import Jaws 15 settings into Jaws 2021 any more.

Also, this is strictly my opinion and my advice, I recommend you learn Windows 10 as it is without trying to make it behave like Windows 7. It really is not so much different and there are resources available. If you use something like Classic Shell there is always the risk that one day it will stop working and I find, for example, that Windows 10 is much more like Windows 7 than Windows 8 was. You have a comprehensive Settings app similar to what you have on a smartphone, but while certain things in my opinion are easier to access via Settings, there still is the familiar Control Panel as well as the device manager.