moderated Uninstalling old copies of Jaws

Richard Turner

Hello,

I have decided since I have not needed to use any of the 3 older versions of Jaws since installing 2021, I would like to tap the wisdom of this list.

There are two items that pop up, Remove Shared Components, and remove User settings.

Will removing both of those impact my Jaws 2021 installation?

I know FS uses shared components a lot, and I also have OpenBook 9 on this machine, so want to tread lightly.

And, in case it comes up, I know it isn’t hurting my computer to leave them, but I want to remove them to reduce clutter.

Thanks,

Richard

- John Ruskin, 1819-1900

Web site: www.turner42.com

Glenn / Lenny

If you want to remove clutter, just remove the shortcuts on the desktop, and move the start menu shortcuts to a cleaner spot.
Unless your computer is short on space, you have much to gain by leaving them.
Glenn

I have decided since I have not needed to use any of the 3 older versions of Jaws since installing 2021, I would like to tap the wisdom of this list.

There are two items that pop up, Remove Shared Components, and remove User settings.

Will removing both of those impact my Jaws 2021 installation?

I know FS uses shared components a lot, and I also have OpenBook 9 on this machine, so want to tread lightly.

And, in case it comes up, I know it isn’t hurting my computer to leave them, but I want to remove them to reduce clutter.

Thanks,

Richard

- John Ruskin, 1819-1900

Web site: www.turner42.com

John Covici

But whatever you do, DO NOT remove the shared components, this will
make your current version of Jaws inoperative.

On Tue, 04 May 2021 09:55:24 -0400,
Glenn / Lenny wrote:

[1 <text/plain; iso-8859-1 (quoted-printable)>]
[...]

[2 <text/html; iso-8859-1 (quoted-printable)>]
How do
you spend it?

John Covici wb2una
covici@ccs.covici.com

Richard Turner

Thanks John,
I thought that was the case.
All my cleanup is done.
Thanks again,

Richard
- John Ruskin, 1819-1900

But whatever you do, DO NOT remove the shared components, this will make your current version of Jaws inoperative.

On Tue, 04 May 2021 09:55:24 -0400,
Glenn / Lenny wrote:

[1 <text/plain; iso-8859-1 (quoted-printable)>] If you want to remove
[...]

https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.tu
rner42.com%2F&amp;data=04%7C01%7C%7Cfcb890e4304640fb73f808d90f088e77%7
C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C637557351682790961%7CUnkno
wn%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiL
CJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C1000&amp;sdata=cfRfB6eJ49NrY%2BZPXW5mX60Gvs%2FuMAy0on2
UWwKR9X0%3D&amp;reserved=0

[2 <text/html; iso-8859-1 (quoted-printable)>]
How do
you spend it?

John Covici wb2una
covici@ccs.covici.com

Loy

If you decide to remove the old JAWS programs, do not remove the two items you mentioned.

[...]

Another good reason for leaving it, is if someone with only an older version
is helping you, and you want them to tandem in, they cannot do it if your
Jaws is newer than theirs.
Plus, some legacy programs work better with older Jaws.
Glenn

"The highest reward for a person's toil is not what they get for it, but
what they become by it."
- John Ruskin, 1819-1900

Web site: www.turner42.com

[...]

As I said, I have no need of the older programs, and I haven't done a tandem session but once and that was with Eric Damery of FS.

Thanks,

Richard
- John Ruskin, 1819-1900

Web site: https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.turner42.com%2F&;data=04%7C01%7C%7Cb45d8d52421b40d73e9408d90f0dd9a3%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C637557374420451639%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C1000&amp;sdata=tGCdpl1FZIrOLzVKQtikF0aoGzzizDv1TEgImE%2FIrvg%3D&amp;reserved=0

[...]

Hi Richard,

I always remove my previous version of Jaws once I am satisfied that the latest version is doing all I need it to do. You can safely select to remove the User Settings, but as others pointed out, do not remove shared settings because neither Jaws 2021 nor Openbook would work any more and you would have to reinstall/repair those programs.

[...]

Pastor Gilbert Pries <gilp@...>

It's better to leave shared compponents.

Otherwise it will affect your other installation.

Pastor Gilbert

I have decided since I have not needed to use any of the 3 older versions of Jaws since installing 2021, I would like to tap the wisdom of this list.

There are two items that pop up, Remove Shared Components, and remove User settings.

Will removing both of those impact my Jaws 2021 installation?

I know FS uses shared components a lot, and I also have OpenBook 9 on this machine, so want to tread lightly.

And, in case it comes up, I know it isn’t hurting my computer to leave them, but I want to remove them to reduce clutter.

Thanks,

Richard

- John Ruskin, 1819-1900

Web site: www.turner42.com

Richard Turner

I rembered remembered about the shared settings from my years of Openbook beta testing.
Of course, at that time, I was a Window-eyes user so they were not that important since I would end up at many points needing to start completely fresh.
I had not done a Jaws uninstall since Jaws 18, my first year with Jaws on my home machine. So, I had 2018-21 installed and had not launched any older versions since I installed 2021.

Like you, I see no need to keep older versions when the current one proves it meets my needs.

Later,

Richard
- John Ruskin, 1819-1900

Web site: https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.turner42.com%2F&;data=04%7C01%7C%7C376864052ac54bad2b6708d90f107bed%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C637557385735311161%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C1000&amp;sdata=PUAw%2Bm%2BRZj9iF5Lm3TqE2J%2BpcFt%2BqBsfU8PsRxYT43A%3D&amp;reserved=0

[...]

Albert Cutolo

Good afternoon gentlemen,

After reading this particular thread, I'd like too ask those of you that
have done this the following question. Is it better to uninstall programs
like Jaws or other applications and programs, by doing this process through
the add remove option, or through either control panel or using the device
manager option.

"The highest reward for a person's toil is not what they get for it, but
what they become by it."
- John Ruskin, 1819-1900

Web site:
https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.turner42
.com%2F&amp;data=04%7C01%7C%7Cb45d8d52421b40d73e9408d90f0dd9a3%7C84df9e7fe9f
[...]

I am not sure what you mean by the "Device Manager Option" since the device manager as the name indicates is for "devices" and not software.
Whether you go to Settings > Apps > Apps and Features and tab to the list of installed apps or Control Panel > Programs and Features makes no difference, it's the same thing except that with Control Panel > Programs and Features you are directly in the list of installed apps whereas going to "Apps and Features" requires you to tab a few times to get into the list.

[...]

Thomas N. Chan

As what other list member mention,, do not remove the share component.
You can remove the jaws scripts and settings of that particular jaws version from
C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Freedom Scientific\JAWS\2020\Settings\enu

the example of username is your logon profile name and also 2020 is the version example of old version of jaws.

To be honest, I will not bother. All my settings is not even 1mb.

Regards,
Thomas N. Chan