moderated Can I create email contact groups in Thunderbird?

Marty Hutchings

I am using JAWS 2021, Windows 10 and Thunderbird and have finished importing my address book of contacts and would now like to set up groups of contacts, so that when I need to send out a message to multiple people, I can just type one name of the group in the To field instead of each name.  I have gone through the menus and can find nothing to help me set up groups.  Am I missing something?

Yes, you can.  Yes, you are missing something.  Thunderbird calls what Outlook terms contact groups as mailing lists.

See:
How to create and use mailing lists on Thunderbird
or Thunderbird Mailing Lists - How to Send the Same Message to a Specific Group of Contacts!
or any other of the tutorials returned by a web search on:  Thunderbird mailing list

           ~ André Gide

Marty Hutchings

Ah!  Thanks Brian. I will check this out.

On 5/1/2021 4:05 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:
Yes, you can.  Yes, you are missing something.  Thunderbird calls what Outlook terms contact groups as mailing lists.

See:
How to create and use mailing lists on Thunderbird
or Thunderbird Mailing Lists - How to Send the Same Message to a Specific Group of Contacts!
or any other of the tutorials returned by a web search on:  Thunderbird mailing list

           ~ André Gide

Marty Hutchings

Brian,  These directions are for using a mouse and dragging and dropping.  I don't know how to do that using JAWS.  I can create the mailing list, but cannot populate it.  I tried copying and pasting and just typing the name of my contact, but nothing shows.  This seems to be totally inaccessible.  This is disappointing as I thought that JAWS users were able to use Thunderbird with no problems.

Love in Christ

Marty

The Gospel is freely accessible to all.

On 5/1/2021 4:05 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:
Yes, you can.  Yes, you are missing something.  Thunderbird calls what Outlook terms contact groups as mailing lists.

See:
How to create and use mailing lists on Thunderbird
or Thunderbird Mailing Lists - How to Send the Same Message to a Specific Group of Contacts!
or any other of the tutorials returned by a web search on:  Thunderbird mailing list

           ~ André Gide

Marty,

I can't speak to what JAWS does or does not announce, but I can enter addresses in the mailing list one at a time using NVDA, and they will be announced if I jump back/up one item in the list after completing it.  These entries are combo boxes so you have to complete them, go to the next one, and go back to consistently get them to announce.

I cannot explain (or successfully accomplish) a drag with hover and drop with a screen reader.  Perhaps someone else can.  I have never had much luck with drag and drop using screen reader emulation regardless of the screen reader.  I don't even have a lot of luck with emulated left and right click working as "the real mouse button" for each does.

Marty Hutchings

NVDA seems to do the same thing for me as JAWS.  Aren't there any scripts for Thunderbird?

On 5/1/2021 7:52 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:
Marty,

I can't speak to what JAWS does or does not announce, but I can enter addresses in the mailing list one at a time using NVDA, and they will be announced if I jump back/up one item in the list after completing it.  These entries are combo boxes so you have to complete them, go to the next one, and go back to consistently get them to announce.

I cannot explain (or successfully accomplish) a drag with hover and drop with a screen reader.  Perhaps someone else can.  I have never had much luck with drag and drop using screen reader emulation regardless of the screen reader.  I don't even have a lot of luck with emulated left and right click working as "the real mouse button" for each does.

Randy Barnett <blindmansbluff09@...>

you can try asking on the Thunderbird list.
Thunderbird+subscribe@groups.io

Randy Barnett