moderated captcha question

Madison Martin

Hi all,
I'm hoping someone might be able to help me. I just tried signing up for a
newsletter and everything was going grate until I came across a validation code
which is supposed to be entered in a box. There's no checkbox or anything, no
option for an audio challenge or anything, just a link to re-set the code. I've
tried signing up for this using Edge, Firefox and Google Chrome, and I even
tried turning on Narrator and I still wasn't able to read the validation code,
and I don't have a smartphone. Any idea how I might be able to read this code,
or am I going to have to get sighted help? I can provide the link if that would
help... Really hope someone can help me!!!!!! Running the latest versions of
everything. Thanks
Madison

Milton Ota

Hi,

You have 3 choices,

1. Ask someone sighted to help you if they are there with you;

2. Use the free service of Be My Eyes with a smart phone that has a camera;

3. The paid services of Aira, again with the use of a smart phone with a
camera.

I'm hoping someone might be able to help me. I just tried signing up for a
newsletter and everything was going grate until I came across a validation
code which is supposed to be entered in a box. There's no checkbox or
anything, no option for an audio challenge or anything, just a link to
re-set the code. I've tried signing up for this using Edge, Firefox and
Google Chrome, and I even tried turning on Narrator and I still wasn't able
to read the validation code, and I don't have a smartphone. Any idea how I
might be able to read this code, or am I going to have to get sighted help?
I can provide the link if that would help... Really hope someone can help
me!!!!!! Running the latest versions of everything. Thanks
Madison

Randy Barnett <blindmansbluff09@...>

i'm afraid you're gonna have to get cited help. That's what I did with Behringer. which has the same stupid capture with no alternatives for accessibility.

Randy Barnett

On Apr 27, 2021, at 12:02 PM, Madison Martin <madisonmartin463@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi all,
I'm hoping someone might be able to help me. I just tried signing up for a
newsletter and everything was going grate until I came across a validation code
which is supposed to be entered in a box. There's no checkbox or anything, no
option for an audio challenge or anything, just a link to re-set the code. I've
tried signing up for this using Edge, Firefox and Google Chrome, and I even
tried turning on Narrator and I still wasn't able to read the validation code,
and I don't have a smartphone. Any idea how I might be able to read this code,
or am I going to have to get sighted help? I can provide the link if that would
help... Really hope someone can help me!!!!!! Running the latest versions of
everything. Thanks
Madison

And I'll say again, complain to either tech support or customer service for any site that uses inaccessible CAPTCHAs.  There is no excuse for that at this point in time.

In the cases of some, like I confirmed for Behringer, they are actually using a CAPTCHA implementation that includes accessibility options in its default state.  Someone at the organization had to make a decision to disable those features.

Any organization using an inaccessible CAPTCHA, by which I mean no alternative for an audio challenge or a "check this box if you're not a robot" option, needs to be told that's unacceptable.  It also helps to use the angle that you're losing potential customers by doing so as well.

           ~ André Gide

Madison Martin

I can’t, as they have the same capcha thing. Trust me, I was going to.

On Tue, Apr 27, 2021 at 07:11 PM, Madison Martin wrote:
I can’t, as they have the same capcha thing. Trust me, I was going to.
-
If ever there was a time to reach out for whatever outside assistance you might need, doing so to advocate for increased accessibility is one of those.  It's inevitable that if there's an inaccessible CAPTCHA that's going to most likely require sighted assistance of some sort.

If you (the generic screen reader you) do not take the effort to do so, you certainly cannot expect anything to change.  Most of the sighted are completely clueless about these issues.  There are still plenty of instances where accessibility blocks are the result of ignorance, not intent.  And it is up to those who have specific needs to articulate them to those in a position to make the necessary changes.

           ~ André Gide

It would help if you gave the URL for the website where this happens.

I'm hoping someone might be able to help me. I just tried signing up for a newsletter and everything was going grate until I came across a validation code which is supposed to be entered in a box. There's no checkbox or anything, no option for an audio challenge or anything, just a link to re-set the code. I've tried signing up for this using Edge, Firefox and Google Chrome, and I even tried turning on Narrator and I still wasn't able to read the validation code, and I don't have a smartphone. Any idea how I might be able to read this code, or am I going to have to get sighted help? I can provide the link if that would help... Really hope someone can help me!!!!!! Running the latest versions of everything. Thanks
Madison

Aira calls are free if they are less than 5 minutes in length and I have used Aira for solving the odd captcha here and there and it's usually a matter of less than a minute.

[...]

When you click on "Contact Us" and read a bit beyond the web form which as you pointed out also requires a captcha which has no audio feature, the following information is provided:

Hong Kong Office:
Rm 906, Chinachem Golden Plaza,
Tsim Sha Tsui East, Kowloon, Hong Kong
Tel: 852 2314 7378
Fax: 852 3167 1236
Email: collecta@collecta.biz

UK Address:
Wisteria House, Clarendon Road,
South Woodford, London,
E18 2AW, United Kingdom

EU Address:
St Kevin's,
Dublin 2, D02 XE80,
Ireland

While the UK and EU offices only list an address, there is an email address given for the Hong Kong office so I would simply write to that email and complain about the inaccessible captcha. Whether it will do any good or not is a different question, but you can either accept it and ask for sighted assistance to sign up for the newsletter or email them and ask if they couldn't make it more accessible.

It would help if you gave the URL for the website where this happens.

I'm hoping someone might be able to help me. I just tried signing up for a newsletter and everything was going grate until I came across a validation code which is supposed to be entered in a box. There's no checkbox or anything, no option for an audio challenge or anything, just a link to re-set the code. I've tried signing up for this using Edge, Firefox and Google Chrome, and I even tried turning on Narrator and I still wasn't able to read the validation code, and I don't have a smartphone. Any idea how I might be able to read this code, or am I going to have to get sighted help? I can provide the link if that would help... Really hope someone can help me!!!!!! Running the latest versions of everything. Thanks
Madison

Mark Fisher

Not that we all want to sign up but in these cases, perhaps we can all send a similar email - the more they get, the more they are likely to listen.
--
Mark Fisher
Principal - HR Systems