moderated Windows update changing function keys

On Tue, Apr 20, 2021 at 08:59 PM, Cornelius wrote:
I suspect the update which are listed as "firmware update" will restore the BIOS settings to default
-
And you'd be right, at least in your case, since it's happened repeatedly.   BIOS is firmware (which is a somewhat more generic term) so you're absolutely right that when you see an update mentioning firmware on a PC the first thing that should enter your mind is BIOS/UEFI.  But it appears that different BIOS/UEFI systems handle the updates differently.  I haven't yet done one on a system on which the Function Key function reverted to media keys/smart keys, but I have no doubt that those reporting that change are reporting accurately.  There have been quite a few BIOS/firmware updates on the HP and Toshiba machines I'm dealing with in my household, as well as a number of same on client computers, but no one has called me saying their function keys reverted (but, of course most my sighted clients have never changed the media/smart behavior back to straight function keys, but I have on several laptops).
--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 20H2, Build 19042  

It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not.

~ André Gide

Cornelius

This also happen in my Lenovo laptop and a few Lenovo laptops that I played with while helping someone to install Windows 10. I suspect the update which are listed as "firmware update" will restore the BIOS settings to default, which means you'll have to go into BIOS and set back the FN key function.
If you install the BIOS update through the lenovo vantage utility, it will also do the same, resetting your BIOS settings to its original default. It is always recommended to load default config after a BIOS update, but in this case, well it will just cause a little inconvenient to usto go back and set the FN key function. For my case I just use the Be My Eyes app and contact Microsoft support which, they are very helpful as long as you can position your camera according to instructions.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Wednesday, April 21, 2021 4:04 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Windows update changing function keys

Unfortunately I've experienced several times where a bios update
overrides customizations.

You're right that it shouldn't but "shouldn't" and "doesn't" are not
the same thing.

On 4/20/21, Chris via groups.io <chrismedley=btinternet.com@groups.io> wrote:
Even a firmware update should not change any settings

Sent: 20 April 2021 19:38

The the new unified firmware interface Windows can actually make changes to
the bios and even updated as Brian said. if you using legacy bios windows
can't interact with it.
Randy Barnett

On Apr 19, 2021, at 11:52 AM, Chris via groups.io
<chrismedley=btinternet.com@groups.io> wrote:

I have an acer, and I never heard or come across such an issue, and I
wouldn’t have thaught an windows update would change any bios settings in
itself

Maybe the cmos battery is at fault here, rather than windows

Sent: 19 April 2021 19:10
Subject: Windows update changing function keys

I have an Acer running Windows 10 and the latest version of JAWS. The last 2
Windows updates have changed my function keys back to their original
settings. This means I have to add the function key to make typical commands
work. Has anyone else had a similar problem? I have to bring up my computer
and go into the BIOS and get sighted assistance to put the function keys
back the way I want them. This is extremely frustrating.

--
Soronel Haetir
soronel.haetir@gmail.com

On Tue, Apr 20, 2021 at 04:04 PM, Soronel Haetir wrote:
Unfortunately I've experienced several times where a bios update overrides customizations.
-
I have not, yet.  I have no doubt this can and does happen, though it's rare from what I have even heard mentioned.

It's just something to be aware of.  
--

It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not.

~ André Gide

Soronel Haetir

Unfortunately I've experienced several times where a bios update
overrides customizations.

You're right that it shouldn't but "shouldn't" and "doesn't" are not
the same thing.

On 4/20/21, Chris via groups.io <chrismedley=btinternet.com@groups.io> wrote:

The the new unified firmware interface Windows can actually make changes to
the bios and even updated as Brian said. if you using legacy bios windows
can't interact with it.
Randy Barnett

On Apr 19, 2021, at 11:52 AM, Chris via groups.io
<chrismedley=btinternet.com@groups.io> wrote:

I have an acer, and I never heard or come across such an issue, and I
wouldn’t have thaught an windows update would change any bios settings in
itself

I have an Acer running Windows 10 and the latest version of JAWS. The last 2
Windows updates have changed my function keys back to their original
settings. This means I have to add the function key to make typical commands
work. Has anyone else had a similar problem? I have to bring up my computer
and go into the BIOS and get sighted assistance to put the function keys
back the way I want them. This is extremely frustrating.

--
Soronel Haetir
soronel.haetir@gmail.com

Chris

The the new unified firmware interface Windows can actually make changes to the bios and even updated as Brian said. if you using legacy bios windows can't interact with it.

Randy Barnett

On Apr 19, 2021, at 11:52 AM, Chris via groups.io <chrismedley@...> wrote:

I have an acer, and I never heard or come across such an issue, and I wouldn’t have thaught an windows update would change any bios settings in itself

I have an Acer running Windows 10 and the latest version of JAWS. The last 2 Windows updates have changed my function keys back to their original settings. This means I have to add the function key to make typical commands work. Has anyone else had a similar problem? I have to bring up my computer and go into the BIOS and get sighted assistance to put the function keys back the way I want them. This is extremely frustrating.

Randy Barnett <blindmansbluff09@...>

The the new unified firmware interface Windows can actually make changes to the bios and even updated as Brian said. if you using legacy bios windows can't interact with it.

Randy Barnett

On Apr 19, 2021, at 11:52 AM, Chris via groups.io <chrismedley@...> wrote:

I have an acer, and I never heard or come across such an issue, and I wouldn’t have thaught an windows update would change any bios settings in itself

I have an Acer running Windows 10 and the latest version of JAWS. The last 2 Windows updates have changed my function keys back to their original settings. This means I have to add the function key to make typical commands work. Has anyone else had a similar problem? I have to bring up my computer and go into the BIOS and get sighted assistance to put the function keys back the way I want them. This is extremely frustrating.

On Mon, Apr 19, 2021 at 02:51 PM, Chris wrote:
-
Possibly, or it's possible that Windows Update applied a BIOS update (that's possible now) and the BIOS update itself reverts the function keys to media keys/smart keys/whatever your manufacturer calls it.

But Feature Updates don't do this, nor do regular Windows Updates.  You should look in your update history to see what's been applied and try to map that to when this occurred.

--

~ André Gide

Chris

Marianne Denning