moderated Cannot find my new external hard disk

Gezim Rexha

Hi all,

I just bought a My Passport Ultra hard disk, but I cannot see it I my laptop. I am using the latest JAWS version, if that has any relevance.

I hope this is not too off-topic, and I would appreciate your help.

Cheers,

Gezim

David Griffith

I don’t believe it will have anything to do with Jaws.

I can only offer the general advice for these situations.

Looking at the product  spec for this device it is described as plug and play for Windows 10 and portable so will not need a power supply. You should simply be able to plug it in.

So the obvious

Press Windows E to open Explorer and carefully review all the drives to make sure   it is not showing silently under this PC somewhere.

Try putting the drive in another USB Port.

Try putting it into another Machine  if you have one.

Try another type of device like a keyboard or mouse into the same USB port to confirm the actual USB port is working.

If you are using a USB Hub try plugging in directly to your laptop.

Alternatively plugging in via a powered USB Hub if you have one. On occasions I have had external drives which will only show up when they are connected through a USB Hub, mind you I have also had drives which refuse to connect through a USB hub and only work when connected directly.

Finally if all this does not work you could delete your USB Controllers  in Device Manager and let Windows restart  to re-install your USB drivers.

I would only do this however  if the USB Ports are not working with any device, not just this Hard Drive.

If all this does not work it might be, I am afraid a faulty device.

David Griffith.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

I just bought a My Passport Ultra hard disk, but I cannot see it I my laptop. I am using the latest JAWS version, if that has any relevance.

I hope this is not too off-topic, and I would appreciate your help.

Cheers,

Gezim

Randy Barnett <blindmansbluff09@...>

you need to open disk manager. then find your hard drive and see if it needs to have a Drive letter assign to it. but since It's not showing up  it probably needs to be formatted or initialized.

Randy Barnett

On Apr 9, 2021, at 1:43 PM, Gezim Rexha <gezim_rexha@...> wrote:

Hi all,

I just bought a My Passport Ultra hard disk, but I cannot see it I my laptop. I am using the latest JAWS version, if that has any relevance.

I hope this is not too off-topic, and I would appreciate your help.

Cheers,

Gezim

Mike B.

This is an outside shot, but I'm only suggesting this as something to check.

There's a setting that if turned on hides empty drives.

While in File Explorer press, Alt + F, then press the letter, O, to open Change folder and search options.
Control + tab to the View tab / page.
Tab a couple of times to the Advanced setting tree view.
Press the letter, H, 2 times I believe, to land on, Hide empty drives.  If Jaws reports this as, On , press the spacebar to turn it off.
Now tab to, Okay, and press enter to save / close.

Stay safe and take care.  Mike.

you need to open disk manager. then find your hard drive and see if it needs to have a Drive letter assign to it. but since It's not showing up  it probably needs to be formatted or initialized.

Randy Barnett

On Apr 9, 2021, at 1:43 PM, Gezim Rexha <gezim_rexha@...> wrote:

Hi all,

I just bought a My Passport Ultra hard disk, but I cannot see it I my laptop. I am using the latest JAWS version, if that has any relevance.

I hope this is not too off-topic, and I would appreciate your help.

Cheers,

Gezim

I'm a big fan of Windows Run commands. You can press the Windows key + r to open a run command window and type diskmgmt.msc in the text box and press enter to bring up a file explorer window with your connected disk drives listed. You can shift F10 on any drive listed to bring up a context menu where you can assign drive letters, etc.

Good luck.

Alan Lemly

you need to open disk manager. then find your hard drive and see if it needs to have a Drive letter assign to it. but since It's not showing up  it probably needs to be formatted or initialized.

Randy Barnett

On Apr 9, 2021, at 1:43 PM, Gezim Rexha <gezim_rexha@...> wrote:

Hi all,

I just bought a My Passport Ultra hard disk, but I cannot see it I my laptop. I am using the latest JAWS version, if that has any relevance.

I hope this is not too off-topic, and I would appreciate your help.

Cheers,

Gezim

Gezim Rexha

I just tried your recommendation. Three disks appeared on the list, but JAWS says that ‘change drive letters and paths’ is unavailable. Anyway, I am not sure that my Passport Ultra is one of those three.

[...]

That setting was turned on, and I rutned it off according to your instructions;however, I still cannot find my hard disk. Any other recommendations?

Thanks in advance,

Gezim

you need to open disk manager. then find your hard drive and see if it needs to have a Drive letter assign to it. but since It's not showing up  it probably needs to be formatted or initialized.

Randy Barnett

On Apr 9, 2021, at 1:43 PM, Gezim Rexha <gezim_rexha@...> wrote:

Hi all,

I just bought a My Passport Ultra hard disk, but I cannot see it I my laptop. I am using the latest JAWS version, if that has any relevance.

I hope this is not too off-topic, and I would appreciate your help.

Cheers,

Gezim

Gezim,

I don't think I read your original post about your missing new Passport hard disk. I'm assuming this is an external USB disk drive. Does it have its own power so it must be plugged into an outlet or does it get its power from the computer's USB port? If the former, I'm assuming you've double checked that it's plugged into a working outlet and if it has its own on and off switch that it is powered on? I don't think most external USB drives I've owned with their own power had on and off switches but it never hurts to ask. Can you confirm that the USB port you're plugging the drive into is working by plugging something else into it like a thumb drive? Also, double check the USB cable at both ends to make sure it is solidly connected into the computer and into the drive itself.

Alan Lemly

[...]

When you plug the drive in, can you feel the drive and tell if it's running / spinning?  Have you tried plugging the drive into a different USB port?

Stay safe and take care.  Mike.

That setting was turned on, and I rutned it off according to your instructions;however, I still cannot find my hard disk. Any other recommendations?

Thanks in advance,

Gezim

you need to open disk manager. then find your hard drive and see if it needs to have a Drive letter assign to it. but since It's not showing up  it probably needs to be formatted or initialized.

Randy Barnett

On Apr 9, 2021, at 1:43 PM, Gezim Rexha <gezim_rexha@...> wrote:

Hi all,

I just bought a My Passport Ultra hard disk, but I cannot see it I my laptop. I am using the latest JAWS version, if that has any relevance.

I hope this is not too off-topic, and I would appreciate your help.

Cheers,

Gezim

Jaffar Sidek

Hi Mike.  I don't know if his drive is an SSd or a mechanical one, but the SSD drives nowadays are completely silent, so using our ears when we need too is a challenge.  The only thing we can depend on is when Windows itself plays a connected sound to tell us if the disk has been connected and available for use.  Cheers!

On 10/4/2021 10:00 am, Mike B wrote:

[...]

Hi Jaffar,

You're correct, but I was assuming that the external drive in question is a spinning drive.  The person hasn't mentioned anything about hearing any sound at all when plugging it in, so if a sound isn't assigned to the device connect event in a sound scheme I don't think they'll hear a sound when plugging it in.  Also if it's a 3.0 drive and wasn't made to be reverse compatible if plugged into a 2.0 port, then here's another possibility if it was plugged into a 2.0 port of not working, although unlikely.

Stay safe and take care.  Mike.

That setting was turned on, and I rutned it off according to your instructions;however, I still cannot find my hard disk. Any other recommendations?

Thanks in advance,

Gezim

you need to open disk manager. then find your hard drive and see if it needs to have a Drive letter assign to it. but since It's not showing up  it probably needs to be formatted or initialized.

Randy Barnett

On Apr 9, 2021, at 1:43 PM, Gezim Rexha <gezim_rexha@...> wrote:

Hi all,

I just bought a My Passport Ultra hard disk, but I cannot see it I my laptop. I am using the latest JAWS version, if that has any relevance.

I hope this is not too off-topic, and I would appreciate your help.

Cheers,

Gezim

Dave Durber

When you connected the new external drive, did you hear the ascending two-tone indication, that a USB device had been connected, and also, did you get the notification, that the driver software for that device was being installed? and lastly, did you place your hand on the device, to see if you could feel the slight vibration of its motor or you heard its motor, that is, if it is a hard drive?

If you did not hear the ascending two-tone, after connecting the external device, then Windows did not recognize that such a device had been connected to the system, and it is highly likely, there is something wrong with the device, and you should return it for a replacement.

HTH

Dave

[...]

Hello Mike:

I have not yet come across a USB 3.0 device, which cannot be used when connected to a USB 2.0 port. The downside to doing that is, of course, is that you do not get the benefit of USB 3.0.

HTH

Dave

[...]

Placing my hand on the device, I could hear its vibration; but I did not hear the sound nor did I get the notification that the software was being installed.

[...]

Hi Dave,

Neither have I, and that's why I said it was unlikely.

Stay safe and take care.  Mike.

[...]

Hi Gezim,

Maybe a call to Microsoft Accessibility will get to the root of the problem.

Phone#: 1-800-936-5900

TTY#: 1-800-892-5234

Stay safe and take care.  Mike.

[...]

Richard Turner

I’m late on this so you may already have dealt with this.

Is it being plugged directly into the computer, or a USB hub?

If a Hub, try directly connecting it.

Otherwise, absolutely call Microsoft accessibility.

And, if you have a smart phone, you can get them through the Be My Eyes app and then if they want to see the setup, you could point the camera so they can see the physical setup and see if any lights are on etc.

Richard

- John Ruskin, 1819-1900

Web site: www.turner42.com

[...]

Bill White

Hi, Mike. Gezim lives in Kosovo, so I think that would be a problem for him to call the Microsoft Disability number.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

[...]

Then he / she could possibly get help using the Microsoft Accessibility website couldn't they?

Stay safe and take care.  Mike.

[...]

Or, Be My Eyes with a Smart Phone on Wi-Fi or iPod Touch, etc., if the Wi-Fi fees are not too high.

Never sure about other countries.

Richard

- John Ruskin, 1819-1900

Web site: www.turner42.com