A new, but still tiresome, way to reply to messages - Trying to "reply to" messages, without success!

HAMILTON

Dave:

In answer to your question, and for other listers reading this, the fact that I am trying to reply to messages on the “digest” , using the “reply link” provided, may need to be repeated for clarification.  Using ctrl-r works only if I were to be replying to a message that did not come as part of a “JFW digest”, i.e. came directly to me from another lister.  And,I have tried ctrl-r to reply to sender from the “digest”; but, it did not work.  Whereas, I usually have been trying to reply to specific messages within the “digest”, using the “reply ...” link which takes me to the website.  Don’t worry; I will not repeat the long explanation that I sent out recently!  :)  :)

So, no, I was not replying to an individual - the “short answer”!

It’s really strange that I have absolutely no trouble “muting threads”, using the digest link for this and going to the website.  It’s only a few clicks away.

As I say, what I am doing should work; but, it is frustrating for me to not be able to do something that I was able to do several months ago.  I’ll just have to get over that, and use this “back-door” method for replying “to all”!

Also, I know that I can copy and paste a message sender’s e-mail address into the “To:” field in an e-mail message, do the same with the subject field and send my reply directly to that person, if that is the only person to whom I want to reply.  However, I mostly reply “to all”.

So, thanks for all “replies”.  If this does indeed end up in the “digest”, I will stick with this method.  ...  At least, it will have proven that it works - with much less work than with my last attempt.

Jim H

3e. Re: Trying to "reply to" messages, without success!

   From: Dave Carlson <dgcarlson@...>

   Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2016 16:23:32 PDT

That command is to reply directly to the sender. Is that what you were trying to do?

Dave Carlson

Jim,

         After a bit of digging I think I may have found the cause, and solution, to your problem.

         If you receive the daily digest in plain format, hitting the link after "Reply to this message" for a given message throws you into your web browser with the correct groups.io thread open for response.

         If you receive the daily digest in full featured format, hitting the "Reply to Group" link at the end of a given message causes your e-mail client to be triggered, a compose window opened, and the subject prepopulated with "Re: <message subject that you're replying to>" and the To: field prepopulated with the correct group e-mail address.  You can tell if you have the plain format daily digest because these open with the words, "This is a digest for," while the full featured format opens differently and includes a Graphic at the top and reads differently at the beginning.

         By the way, this seems completely counterintuitive to me.  Were I a plain text digest recipient I'd probably have chosen that because I want to use e-mail as my primary interaction method while if I were I full featured digest recipient I'd be far more likely to be using the web interface (or at least as likely as e-mail).

         You can very easily test this out by changing your digest subscription.  Try flip-flopping from plain text to full featured and see if you get what you've been looking for.  The e-mail instructions to do this are:

Email Delivery Options

To receive plain digests instead of individual messages send an email to:
nvda+digest@groups.io

To receive full featured digests instead of individual messages send an email to:
nvda+fulldigest@groups.io

To receive individual messages instead of digests, send an email to:
nvda+single@groups.io

To stop receiving messages via email (you may still read messages on the Web), send an email to:
nvda+nomail@groups.io

Brian