moderated adding Outlook contacts

On Wed, Mar 17, 2021 at 09:56 PM, Sieghard Weitzel wrote:
For all we know he may have had everybody's initials entered as some sort of nick name or maybe it really worked this way, but it does not in Outlook.
-
And that's it, in a nutshell.   I don't care what he had working "in ancient times" or "with ancient software."   What he wants he cannot get, and will not get, with Outlook.

I think enough people (including yourself) have now said this, in no uncertain terms, that it's really not something that can be argued.

The phrase, "Give it up, already!!," with regard to that wish comes immediately to mind.

To think is to differ.
      ~ Clarence Darrow

This may explain it, I thought he was using an older version of Outlook and not Outlook Express with Windows XP from 168 years ago. For all we know he may have had everybody's initials entered as some sort of nick name or maybe it really worked this way, but it does not in Outlook. It is of course a mute point because typing one or two letters of either the first name or last name usually works just fine.

-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Mario
Sent: Wednesday, March 17, 2021 8:42 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: adding Outlook contacts

Brian, I understand what you're saying, but he explained to me that's what he could do when he was using Outlook Express when Windows XP was the latest OS. but like you, I was skeptical.

From: John Covici [mailto:covici@ccs.covici.com]
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Date: Wednesday, March 17, 2021, 11:56 AM
If he types a couple of more letters does that help? The first time
he has to type the complete email address to get it into that list.

On Wed, 17 Mar 2021 10:51:01 -0400,
Mario wrote:

I am thinking there is some setting that would allow him to do
that, that might have been somehow been disabled because all he
gets is a ding sound when he attempts to type CF, as he mentioned
in his example. so, still would appreciate a suggestion or better
yet, the solution.

From: Mario [mailto:mrb620@hotmail.com]
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Date: Tuesday, March 16, 2021, 11:54 AM
a friend of mine is using Outlook 2016 with JAWS 2021 on Windows 10, and
wants to know the keystrokes for adding a new contact to his list, and
"also putting a short cut key for the name I am adding".

I don't know what he is talking about in reference to his latter
request. nor do I know the answer to his former request since I don't
use Outlook. would someone please help.

.

How do
you spend it?

John Covici wb2una
covici@ccs.covici.com

On Wed, Mar 17, 2021 at 01:54 PM, Bill White wrote:
Yes, there is. It is in Outlook Options>Mail. He would need to press SHIFT plus TAB about twenty times or TAB about thirty times to reach this setting. It should look something like this,

Use Auto-Complete List to suggest names when typing in the To, Cc, and Bcc lines check box not checked
-
The problem being that the default is "checked" and has always been "checked."  The probability of this being unchecked is vanishingly small.

The problem is that the user has a completely inaccurate idea of how autocomplete works, period.  If they believe that typing first and last initial of an individual that is already in autocomplete will find them, unless they so happen to use that setup in front of their email address as the name, they're mistaken, and they've been mistaken for as long as I can remember.

You can't "fix" normal behavior that someone simply doesn't understand or refuses to understand.

To think is to differ.
      ~ Clarence Darrow

James Bentley

Brian, this turns out to be a bit more complicated than I expected.  Since I am happy with how Outlook is handling my addressees, I will leave well alone.

If it ain’t broke...

Thank you for the links.

James B

[...]

On Wed, Mar 17, 2021 at 01:18 PM, Ann Byrne wrote:
When Outlook adds an address for me, I can't find it in contacts.
-
The autocomplete addresses are separate from Contacts, though if you use a Contact at any point it will end up being included in your autocomplete list.

I have a definitive answer from someone who is far more expert in Outlook than I am, and he confirms my thesis (and my frustration).  I'll quote his reply and then give a direct link to the topic on Technibble for those who may wish to read through the entire thing:
---------
Autocomplete works off its own list, and is populated by what was put into the To box previously. It doesn't work off your address book, if you want the address book you click the "to" label.

And no, you cannot have contacts be in the "recent" list without use, and it won't ever suggest based on a contact. Which is kind of dumb... but short lived as a problem because use of either Teams or Outlook sorts out autocomplete automatically very quickly.
---------

Outlook (2016 & Later) & email addressing

To think is to differ.
      ~ Clarence Darrow

Richard Turner

There is a place in Outlook Options, Mail, to have it use the auto complete, or not.
If you press control+3 and are not finding your contacts there, I'd call Microsoft Accessibility and get their help in sorting this out.
800-936-5900

Richard

Ralph's Observation: It is a mistake to allow any mechanical object<>to realize that you are in a hurry.

My web site, www.turner42.com

From: Panagiotis Antonopoulos [mailto:pantonop2856@gmail.com]
To: <main@jfw.groups.io>
Date: Wednesday, March 17, 2021, 11:22 AM
Hi all,

As of fairly recently, to a span of months, I have noticed a capricious
behaviour, by which outlook, for no apparent reason, seems to be
crossing out addresses it should and used to store to the effect that I
have to ask these people send a fresh message. Is this something others
have experienced, or is it just me?

Cheers
to all,

Takis

--

Brian *-*Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 20H2, Build 19042

/To think is to differ.//
/ ~ Clarence Darrow

Mario

thanks Brian. anticipating what results from this inquiry.

[...]

Albert Cutolo

Good morning Mario,

Perhaps he might do well if he were too call the Microsoft disability answer desk, where they could do a remote screen sharing session with him to see what's going on with his outlook problem. Here's there phone number. 800 (936-5900)