moderated customizing JAWS announcements

Udo Egner-Walter

Hi Shai,

If you follow Leo's solution this will change the speaking of all keys you change in this dialog. But if you only want to mute speaking of Control+N in outlook and Windows+D for activating the desktop you need a script.

I made a script that works like this:

Shortcut assigned to scripts won't be spoken by JAWS. So I assign one of your shortcuts to my script. In doing this JAWS will run my script every time you use this shortcut and won't speak the shortcut. In my script there's a single line passing the shortcut pressed to the app. So for example if you press Windows+D my script will pass this on to activate the desktop but since the script has a shortcut JAWS will not speak this.

If you are interested I can mail the script either here in this list or to your personal address and describing how to install. But you should know there's no easy way of installing scripts and you have to manually edit files.

Let me know if you're interested.

Best wishes
Udo

Am 25.02.2021 um 03:01 schrieb Shai <shaiwol@gmail.com>:

Hello,
I have set my JAWS verbosity to intermediate in settings center and I
am trying to figure out how to eliminate the announcement of my
pressing control n in Outlook or a windows d to get to the desktop.
Is there an option I should check?
Thank you in advance for any responses.

--
Shai Wolman
Wolman technologies

Leo

Hi, I believe that what you really want to do is to mute some keys when performing a keystroke.
In order to select what keys should be spoken by Jaws, you can do as follows:
1. Open settings center, and press control plus shift plus d.
2. In the tree view, go to the following location:
keyboard, general, manage key labels, and open this last option by pushing space bar.
3. The manage key lables dialogue will pop up, so you can go through a list of keys using up and down arrows.
4. To taggle between speak and mute, hit space bar.
5. The key label that you are looking for is a bit tricky since you may think that the key is control, but in this list,
The key that will have a real effect on the control key is under the name ModifiedPrintable. So this key label must be muted
If you want Jaws not to speak this key.

Best,
Leo Bado.