moderated Using Older Normal.dotm in Newer Office Suite

Mike B

Hi All,

I'm going to upgrade my Office 2010 Standard suite to Office 2016 Pro.  I would like to keep my Word 2010 settings since I'm too damn lazy to configure Word again, so can I transfer  my Word 2010 Normal.dotm to Office 2016 ?  All help is greatly appreciated.  Thanks mooy moocho.

Stay safe and take care.  Mike.

Bill White

Hi, Mike. No, you can't transfer the normal template from Word 2010 to Office 2016 Pro. This is because they have a different format, and a different file extension. The templates in Word 2010 have a .dotm extension, whereas the templates in Office 2016 Pro have a .dotx extension.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Mike B
Sent: Tuesday, February 23, 2021 6:34 PM
To: JList
Subject: Using Older Normal.dotm in Newer Office Suite

Hi All,

I'm going to upgrade my Office 2010 Standard suite to Office 2016 Pro.  I would like to keep my Word 2010 settings since I'm too damn lazy to configure Word again, so can I transfer  my Word 2010 Normal.dotm to Office 2016 ?  All help is greatly appreciated.  Thanks mooy moocho.

On Tue, Feb 23, 2021 at 10:04 PM, Bill White wrote:
Hi, Mike. No, you can't transfer the normal template from Word 2010 to Office 2016 Pro. This is because they have a different format, and a different file extension. The templates in Word 2010 have a .dotm extension, whereas the templates in Office 2016 Pro have a .dotx extension.
-
Bill,

I'm sorry, but in this case, you're incorrect.  The Normal.dotm file is a special form of template that has existed for all versions of MS-Office since 2007 (I think, as that's when all the doc and dot files got X tacked on to the end).  It is separate from user created document templates, which are, as you note, DOTX files.

Normal.dotm should be located in C:\Users\{insert appropriate user folder here}\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Templates and can be copied and pasted back in to that folder, or the equivalent folder for another user, if you want all of the changes you've made to your blank word document defaults over time.

DOTM and DOTX both have been in use for many years.  And if you're someone who creates document templates you'll have way more DOTX files.  Normal.dotm is generally singular (unless you've made a copy for backup somewhere).
--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 20H2, Build 19042  

One does not discover new lands without consenting to lose sight of the shore for a very long time.

~ André Gide

Mike B

Bill,

I wonder what would happen if I change the, dotm, to a, dotx?  I'm going to try it just to see what happens!  LOL 

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Tuesday, February 23, 2021 7:04 PM
Subject: Re: Using Older Normal.dotm in Newer Office Suite

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Mike B
Sent: Tuesday, February 23, 2021 6:34 PM
To: JList
Subject: Using Older Normal.dotm in Newer Office Suite

Hi All,

On Tue, Feb 23, 2021 at 11:10 PM, Mike B wrote:
I wonder what would happen if I change the, dotm, to a, dotx?  I'm going to try it just to see what happens!  LOL
-
When you try to create a new blank document I expect it will not have all the things you've tweaked over time.  Luckily, you can just undo the renaming, and you'll be doing that.

--

One does not discover new lands without consenting to lose sight of the shore for a very long time.

~ André Gide

Mike B

Brian,

So, you're saying that I can copy / paste the, normal.dotm, file that I've created manually for 2010 into the same file path below and use it in 2016?

C:\Users\Mike\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Templates

I only have, normal.dotm, files in my Templates folder, no .dotx files at all, at least not in the templates folder using the file path above.

Sent: Tuesday, February 23, 2021 8:09 PM

On Tue, Feb 23, 2021 at 10:04 PM, Bill White wrote:
-
Bill,

I'm sorry, but in this case, you're incorrect.  The Normal.dotm file is a special form of template that has existed for all versions of MS-Office since 2007 (I think, as that's when all the doc and dot files got X tacked on to the end).  It is separate from user created document templates, which are, as you note, DOTX files.

Normal.dotm should be located in C:\Users\{insert appropriate user folder here}\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Templates and can be copied and pasted back in to that folder, or the equivalent folder for another user, if you want all of the changes you've made to your blank word document defaults over time.

DOTM and DOTX both have been in use for many years.  And if you're someone who creates document templates you'll have way more DOTX files.  Normal.dotm is generally singular (unless you've made a copy for backup somewhere).
--

~ André Gide

Mike B

In other words I don't need to rename the file at all for the, normal.dotm, to work in Word 2016, if I'm understanding your message correctly?  Thanks much.

Sent: Tuesday, February 23, 2021 8:11 PM

On Tue, Feb 23, 2021 at 11:10 PM, Mike B wrote:
-
When you try to create a new blank document I expect it will not have all the things you've tweaked over time.  Luckily, you can just undo the renaming, and you'll be doing that.

--

~ André Gide

On Tue, Feb 23, 2021 at 11:43 PM, Mike B wrote:
So, you're saying that I can copy / paste the, normal.dotm, file that I've created manually for 2010 into the same file path below and use it in 2016?
-
Yes.  Copy it somewhere, anywhere that you know where it is.

Uninstall Office 2010.  Install Office 2016.  Delete fresh Normal.dotm that was created by the install.  Copy your backup copy of Normal.dotm back to your user, AppData, Roaming, Microsoft, Templates.

By the way, if you open a new blank file in word, and do a Save As, one of the file type options is dotx, document template.  If you do that save, the dotx will end up in the same folder as Normal.dotm.  This actually drives me crazy, and I always move my DOTX files out to folders that are related to what I created that template for.  I have lots of templates for envelopes, letters with letterhead, and similar.  I also use them for fillable MS-Word forms, where activating the DOTX file creates a "blank" version of the fillable form with the various form fields you fill out. 
--

~ André Gide