moderated Export contacts

Andrew Summers

Hi,

How do I map fields in outlook 365 with JAWS 2021, before exporting as a
.csv file?

I don't find it accessible to do.

I just exported as it was and all my contact names and email addresses are
all over the place and not in order by name after I opened the file.

How do I do it?

Andrew

How did you open that CSV file?

They're nightmarish to even try to look at if you use a text editor.  If opened in Excel, they're easier to deal with.

You have to remember that exported contacts are not prettily sorted, but generally get spit out in the order they were created.  It's up to whatever contacts manager is in use to do the ordering in the way you prefer.

You'll also have to be very careful on import, as over the years I find that how the importing software wants to map the fields, and how the fields in the CSV file should actually be mapped into the new contacts, is at variance.  This is the step I've consistently found to be the biggest PITA.

           ~ André Gide

Andrew Summers

I used Excel to open the file.

They're nightmarish to even try to look at if you use a text editor.  If opened in Excel, they're easier to deal with.

You have to remember that exported contacts are not prettily sorted, but generally get spit out in the order they were created.  It's up to whatever contacts manager is in use to do the ordering in the way you prefer.

You'll also have to be very careful on import, as over the years I find that how the importing software wants to map the fields, and how the fields in the CSV file should actually be mapped into the new contacts, is at variance.  This is the step I've consistently found to be the biggest PITA.

           ~ André Gide

On Fri, Feb 19, 2021 at 01:09 PM, Andrew Summers wrote:
I used Excel to open the file.
-
Then the questions are twofold:

1.  Do you have a header row (which you generally should, with the first row of cells being the name of the data below it)?

2.  Is the data in each row beneath that header row correct in that the name, email address, etc, all belongs to the person or entity you expect it to?

Most exports are not sorted by last name, for instance.  You can ask Excel to do this for you, but after checking a single entry, if everything appears to be "in order" for that single row of cells, it should be for all others as well.

You have no control over how any given webmail or email client does its export, while you do as far as field mappings when it comes time to import.

           ~ André Gide