moderated Autofit tables and center information

Marianne Denning

I am running JAWS 2021 and I need information on how to autofit information in a table and center the information in each cell. I would like to know how to do it in Office 365 and Office 2016.

When defining the table, or afterward, you need to make sure that the "autofit to contents" option is set for all cells in the table under the AutoFit option, and that up in the paragraph formatting area that you have center justification selected for all cells as well.

I generally select the whole table, do the Autofit setting, unselect the table then select the whole thing again, then apply the text centering in paragraph.  You can try doing both, and it will often work just fine, but sometimes not.  If it does, you've lost nothing by trying to kill both birds with one stone, and if it doesn't, and you apply those settings in the order I've mentioned, you know that it's the centering in the cell that you need to apply after having selected the table again.

The above applies regardless of the version of Word/Office.  These are table formatting tasks in Word.  They also have nothing to do with what particular screen reader one might be using at the time.

           ~ André Gide

Marianne Denning

I understand that about the version of JAWS but I just give the information. Where do I find the autofit? I found center and other alignment options on the applications key.

[...]

When the whole table is selected, and that's what you must do if you want the changes to be applied across all cells, when the context menu is invoked it should contain the AutoFit Item, which has three choices when activated:  AutoFit to Contents, AutoFit to Window, and Fixed Width.

Once the context menu is up, hitting A followed by F should do a Fit to Contents for every cell in the table.  Were you to want Window, the character after A would be W, and fixed width it would be X.

           ~ André Gide

Marianne Denning

Thank you very much. That is what I was looking for.