From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Don Walls
Sent: Wednesday, February 17, 2021 7:00 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Pin Files

I’m wondering if a recent update changed settings.  I have Windows 10 and JAWS 2020.  A week or so ago, when I’d go to open a Word file, there would be the instruction to pin files by entering on the file you are above, and after the file name the word “grid.”  Have I perhaps inadvertently changed JAWS settings or could it be to do with a Microsoft update?

Don

127 Public Square, Cleveland, OH 44114

On Thu, Feb 18, 2021 at 10:49 AM, Van Lant, Robin wrote:
The pinned items will be at the top of the list, in alphabetical order.
-
This depends on the version of Office.  In Word 2016 (and probably later) there is a "tab" for lack of a better description when you go to open a file where the Recent tab, and list of files recently accessed is what shows first, and you have next to that a Pinned tab, where anything you pinned is shown.  Now, mind you, if you've accessed a pinned file recently and made changes to it, it will become a part of the recent list, which is constantly changing depending on what you've recently changed, but pinned files will very often end up pushed off of that list if all you generally do is access them, but you are not making changes to them.

           ~ André Gide

Don Walls

Thanks for this, Vaughn.  It relieves my mind that I didn’t inadvertently change settings.

Don

I started seeing this behavior in Office products with a recent Office update, nothing regarding JAWS.  I’m still trying to get the hang of it and don’t’ fully understand the visual layout, but I am really happy to see that you can now pin an item you use often.  I’m not sure I fully understand what you want to know, so I’ll just offer that, if you go to the list of Recent files and you want to pin one so that it’s always at the top of the list, use Shift F10 or the application key to open a menu, where you will see an option to Pin the item  The pinned items will be at the top of the list, in alphabetical order.