Question about an all in one tablet for JAWS

Poppa Bear <heavens4real@...>

I need to recommend a computer for a client who will be using JAWS with the state footing the bill. I am thinking about a 22 inch Desktop tablet that can sit stationary as well as be slipped into a bag and carried. I have one at my job that I use a keyboard with and even though it is touch screen I use it primarily as a desktop. I run Jaws 17 and windows 10 on it without any problems. I am thinking the portable rout for this guy in case he gets a job and needs to bring his own set up to work. He could just transport this back and forth to work and home. The one that I use seems to be pretty robust and I prefer it over a laptop. If anyone has any suggestions maybe you can point me in a direction for a good model.

Jeanette McAllister

I use a Lenovo ThinkPad which came highly recommended by a couple of FS Employees who use JAWS. I can use it with/without the keyboard that comes with it and I highly recommend it. I too, am running JAWS 17 and Windows 10. My Lenovo doesn’t have a 22 inch screen (I think the screen is 11 or 13 inches – I would have to double check), since I can’t see it, it really doesn’t matter on screen size to me.

*Please note - effective Friday April 1, 2016 my email address will be changing to jeanette@...; please make the appropriate changes to your address book. I will have limited access to the jeanette@... email address for the next couple weeks before it goes away completely.*

Jeanette McAllister  PhD

President / CEO

Assistive Technology Tutor

A Heart Staffing                                                   

PO Box 1277

Franklin, VA 23851

Direct: 757-346-0708

www.aheartstaffing.com

www.linkedin.com/in/aheartstaffing

Member-National Employment Committee – NFB

http://employment.nfb.org/

Member-  Virginia State Rehabilitation Council

Dept for the Blind and Visually Impaired         

"Don't judge each day by the harvest you reap, but by the seeds you plant."

--Robert Louis Stevenso

Sent: Thursday, March 31, 2016 2:42 AM
To: jfw@groups.io
Subject: Question about an all in one tablet for JAWS

I need to recommend a computer for a client who will be using JAWS with the state footing the bill. I am thinking about a 22 inch Desktop tablet that can sit stationary as well as be slipped into a bag and carried. I have one at my job that I use a keyboard with and even though it is touch screen I use it primarily as a desktop. I run Jaws 17 and windows 10 on it without any problems. I am thinking the portable rout for this guy in case he gets a job and needs to bring his own set up to work. He could just transport this back and forth to work and home. The one that I use seems to be pretty robust and I prefer it over a laptop. If anyone has any suggestions maybe you can point me in a direction for a good model.

Virus-free. www.avast.com

Poppa Bear,

Do you have any option for the client to do some of their own "shopping" for you?  It is amazing how big "the little things" can be when getting a computer that fits you.   I always encourage my clients to visit as many retailers as they can and to pay particular attention to the way the keyboard feels to them.  There are machines that I love (or hate) strictly because of keyboard feel.

Also, if portability is truly a concern, a 22-inch is far, far too large for convenient portability.  As Dr. McCallister mentions, if the client in question cannot see the screen (and I know that wasn't stated, so it's an "if") then screen size is a non-issue and smaller is better as far as ease of portability goes.

Brian

Tom Macha <toml614@...>

Yes, I agree with the screen size if the person cannot see it. I have never taken into thought the feel of the keyboard.

Sent: Thursday, March 31, 2016 8:43 AM
Subject: Re: Question about an all in one tablet for JAWS

Poppa Bear,

Do you have any option for the client to do some of their own "shopping" for you?  It is amazing how big "the little things" can be when getting a computer that fits you.   I always encourage my clients to visit as many retailers as they can and to pay particular attention to the way the keyboard feels to them.  There are machines that I love (or hate) strictly because of keyboard feel.

Also, if portability is truly a concern, a 22-inch is far, far too large for convenient portability.  As Dr. McCallister mentions, if the client in question cannot see the screen (and I know that wasn't stated, so it's an "if") then screen size is a non-issue and smaller is better as far as ease of portability goes.

Brian

Hello Brian, he has a little bit of vision and can use Zoom text at about 60 times which is not so practical for a 6 to eight hour work day so we have been working on JAWS. I do want him to have the option to load Zoom text on the PC down the road if at all possible. I would tell him to shop around, but he is a complete novice for the most part and has only been training for the last three weeks so does not really even know what he likes at this point. A tablet may not be what he needs, but even an all in one box that he could maybe just take home on the weekends without having to worry about packing around a box and monitor would be a thought.

Sent: Thursday, March 31, 2016 5:43 AM

Poppa Bear,

Brian

Hello Jeanette, what did your tablet run you? I may look at something like that for a personal item. Is it pretty durable in your opinion.

Sent: Thursday, March 31, 2016 3:55 AM

I use a Lenovo ThinkPad which came highly recommended by a couple of FS Employees who use JAWS. I can use it with/without the keyboard that comes with it and I highly recommend it. I too, am running JAWS 17 and Windows 10. My Lenovo doesn’t have a 22 inch screen (I think the screen is 11 or 13 inches – I would have to double check), since I can’t see it, it really doesn’t matter on screen size to me.

*Please note - effective Friday April 1, 2016 my email address will be changing to jeanette@...; please make the appropriate changes to your address book. I will have limited access to the jeanette@... email address for the next couple weeks before it goes away completely.*

Jeanette McAllister  PhD

President / CEO

A Heart Staffing                                                   

PO Box 1277

Franklin, VA 23851

www.aheartstaffing.com

--Robert Louis Stevenso

Jeanette McAllister

I would recommend shopping around when thinking of purchasing a Lenovo. I paid $1500+ for mine; but they are being advertised online for 300+ and you may even be able to find them cheaper. It is extremely durable. I've had it for over two years (yes, I went through the windows 10 and office 2016 upgrades) and I travel all over the country with it. I would not trade it for anything. I hope this helps. It also syncs flawlessly with my brailliant and Braillenote.

Dr. Jeanette McAllister
757-346-0708

Sent from my iPhone

On Mar 31, 2016, at 12:01 PM, Poppa Bear <heavens4real@...> wrote:

Hello Jeanette, what did your tablet run you? I may look at something like that for a personal item. Is it pretty durable in your opinion.

Jeanette McAllister  PhD

President / CEO

A Heart Staffing                                                   

PO Box 1277

Franklin, VA 23851

www.aheartstaffing.com

--Robert Louis Stevenso

Poppa Bear,

Do you know anything about where he's working?  I ask simply because it is not unusual for businesses to forbid any connection of "outside equipment" to their networks, not even as a reasonable accommodation.  Those that take that stance will often spend thousands of dollars to create the environment required but such that it's under their control entirely.  This is not directly relevant to your overarching question but is something that does need to be considered.

ZoomText at 60 times is, without question, not practical for use in the workplace.  Given my own experience tutoring clients with ZoomText I'd be strongly encouraging them to look at screen reader solutions or else going to something like a big screen TV as their monitor of choice.  Pan and scan is difficult and disorienting at scales far below 60 times and would be a nightmare in a workplace.  Better to "scale up" the monitor such that lower magnification, or no magnification, might be needed.  I will say at the outset that I've had very little success with clients using ZoomText at high magnification levels.  It makes getting from place to place on the screen exceedingly tedious and it's very difficult to have any idea of where you are in the context of the entirety of a document, desktop, etc.

As far as the shopping goes, my concern is almost entirely about comfort with the keyboard and/or mouse/mouse pad for a given user.  When keyboard access is your primary interaction method with a computer you really have to like the way the keyboard is laid out (e.g, key spacing and rake), the nature of the touch pressure for the keys, etc.  If this guy already has computer experience of any kind these sort of preferences are already formed, but there's no way to easily express them or categorize them - it's an "I know it when I feel it" thing.  If he doesn't have experience with a given hardware format (e.g., laptop, all-in-one,etc.) that's all the more reason to encourage him to do some basic exploration of what's out there as it will allow him to eliminate a lot of options due to reasons that have nothing to do with what he can or cannot see.  I wish I could convince more people that doing a "test drive" on a computer is as essential in making a buying choice for one as it is for an automobile.  There are just too many things that can only be revealed by actual interaction with the device itself.

There's also the question:  "Is his vision stable?"  My approach with individuals whose visual profile is likely to remain unchanged is quite different than it is with individuals who are undergoing progressive loss that is unlikely to be halted.  I've got a client now who was once fully sighted, was losing his vision when we started working together and strongly preferred ZoomText because he could still see using it, but whose prognosis was for continued vision loss.  I told him early on that while I wanted him to know ZoomText I really wanted to spend some time while he could still see getting down the basics of a screen reader, because that was eventually going to be his one and only access method that would be practical.  He still uses magnification for books and the like, and very occasionally for a specific item on the computer, but he's slowly transitioned to being primarily a JAWS user precisely because ZoomText became impractical on a routine basis as his residual vision deteriorated.

Brian

Mcginnis, Barbara

What ZoomText goes to about 60 times?  The ZoomText software I have seen only goes to 36.

Sent: Thursday, March 31, 2016 11:59 AM

Hello Brian, he has a little bit of vision and can use Zoom text at about 60 times which is not so practical for a 6 to eight hour work day so we have been working on JAWS. I do want him to have the option to load Zoom text on the PC down the road if at all possible. I would tell him to shop around, but he is a complete novice for the most part and has only been training for the last three weeks so does not really even know what he likes at this point. A tablet may not be what he needs, but even an all in one box that he could maybe just take home on the weekends without having to worry about packing around a box and monitor would be a thought.

Sent: Thursday, March 31, 2016 5:43 AM

Poppa Bear,

Brian

Email correspondence to and from this address is subject to the North Carolina Public Records Law and may be disclosed to third parties by an authorized State official. Unauthorized disclosure of juvenile, health, legally privileged, or otherwise confidential information, including confidential information relating to an ongoing State procurement effort, is prohibited by law. If you have received this email in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete all records of this email.

Cindy Ray <cindyray@...>

How do you find the gestures for using JAWS on the touch screen. I use a keyboard with mine. It is a Surface Pro 3.

Cinddy

Sent: Thursday, March 31, 2016 11:02 AM

Jeanette McAllister  PhD

President / CEO

A Heart Staffing                                                   

PO Box 1277

Franklin, VA 23851

www.aheartstaffing.com

--Robert Louis Stevenso

Tony

Rather than hauling a 22” unit around, he might prefer to buy a couple of moniters and possibly keyboards to use at each place.

Newegg.com frequently has 24” monitors for about $110.  My wife really likes the picture on the one I got her.

Tony

Sent: Thursday, March 31, 2016 1:42 AM

Cristóbal

You can also get monitors at the Good Will for cheap.

An old monitor of mine finally gave out a few months ago and I was pained to shell out bucks for something I absolutely was never going to use, but needed to get anyway.

Long story short, I ended up scoring  one at the Good Will for  less than 9 dollars. A nice little 19” flat screen monitor. I’m sure if you hunt  around, you can find  larger size screens and different specs, but this one more  than  fits my needs. My sister who also was in need of a monitor, bought  one  a few days  later for less than $8. She unlike me is fully sighted and is perfectly happy with her 21” screen.

Sent: Thursday, March 31, 2016 12:59 PM

Rather than hauling a 22” unit around, he might prefer to buy a couple of moniters and possibly keyboards to use at each place.

Newegg.com frequently has 24” monitors for about $110.  My wife really likes the picture on the one I got her.

Tony

Sent: Thursday, March 31, 2016 1:42 AM

Hello Dr. Jeanette,

I could find much information on Lenovo's website on their thinkpads. Wheer can I find moer information? It sounds like it may be a doable portable option for grad school for me.

Lisle, Ted (CHFS DMS)

Just for curiosity, how many of these have DVD drives?

Ted

Sent: Thursday, March 31, 2016 12:02 PM

Jeanette McAllister  PhD

President / CEO

A Heart Staffing                                                   

PO Box 1277

Franklin, VA 23851

www.aheartstaffing.com

--Robert Louis Stevenso

Ted posed the question:  Just for curiosity, how many of these have DVD drives?

The answer to this question is "increasingly fewer."  I bought the laptop I'm using last fall and made a point of looking for one with an optical drive in it.  As CD/DVD becomes more and more obsolete in the age of high-speed internet and downloading content (including programs, etc.) optical drives are being phased out.

If an optical drive is something you want or need, be very careful when shopping, particularly for a laptop or convertible tablet, that the model you're looking at has one.

Brian

Lisle, Ted (CHFS DMS)

I was just thinking that installing JAWS from a master disk is the easiest way to do it--one clean, easy step.

Sent: Friday, April 01, 2016 1:56 PM

The answer to this question is "increasingly fewer."  I bought the laptop I'm using last fall and made a point of looking for one with an optical drive in it.  As CD/DVD becomes more and more obsolete in the age of high-speed internet and downloading content (including programs, etc.) optical drives are being phased out.

If an optical drive is something you want or need, be very careful when shopping, particularly for a laptop or convertible tablet, that the model you're looking at has one.

Brian

Londa Peterson

You can also purchase an external DVD drive for very little money. If portability is important and you only use the drive occasionally, this might be a good solution.

Sent: Friday, April 01, 2016 1:56 PM

Brian

In regard to having an optical drive, Ted responded, "I was just thinking that installing JAWS from a master disk is the easiest way to do it--one clean, easy step."

And given my recent experiences with FS that's a loaded proposition.  Virtually any time I've reported a problem of any sort they have me download the latest version of JAWS (within the release running on a given client computer) and either reinstall it or do a repair install. 

To be perfectly honest, this sort of policy is far from limited to FS.  I advise my clients in general not to use the discs that come with various devices or pre-packaged software anymore.  No one ever knows how long a given disc has been sitting on the shelf and how many patches or updates have been applied since it was pressed.  I encourage people to go to the support page for the specific thing they're dealing with and to download the "freshest of the fresh" version from there before installing.  I've found that avoids a lot of problems.

I want to have an optical drive because I'm still in the process of digitizing my music collection, the majority of which is on CD.  There's no way to do that if you don't have an optical drive to work with, and I don't prefer to hassle with an external one.

Brian

Lisle, Ted (CHFS DMS)

NO argument on that.  However, I always like to do the disk installation first.  That allows me to choose the voices, add the help tutorials, OCR module, Etc. than I can bring it up to speed with a simple download—just my MO, nothing handed down from Sinai.

Ted

Sent: Friday, April 01, 2016 2:44 PM

In regard to having an optical drive, Ted responded, "I was just thinking that installing JAWS from a master disk is the easiest way to do it--one clean, easy step."

And given my recent experiences with FS that's a loaded proposition.  Virtually any time I've reported a problem of any sort they have me download the latest version of JAWS (within the release running on a given client computer) and either reinstall it or do a repair install. 

To be perfectly honest, this sort of policy is far from limited to FS.  I advise my clients in general not to use the discs that come with various devices or pre-packaged software anymore.  No one ever knows how long a given disc has been sitting on the shelf and how many patches or updates have been applied since it was pressed.  I encourage people to go to the support page for the specific thing they're dealing with and to download the "freshest of the fresh" version from there before installing.  I've found that avoids a lot of problems.

I want to have an optical drive because I'm still in the process of digitizing my music collection, the majority of which is on CD.  There's no way to do that if you don't have an optical drive to work with, and I don't prefer to hassle with an external one.

Brian

Thanks Jeanette, I will have to look into one of those for personal use.

Sent: Thursday, March 31, 2016 9:41 AM

I would recommend shopping around when thinking of purchasing a Lenovo. I paid $1500+ for mine; but they are being advertised online for 300+ and you may even be able to find them cheaper. It is extremely durable. I've had it for over two years (yes, I went through the windows 10 and office 2016 upgrades) and I travel all over the country with it. I would not trade it for anything. I hope this helps. It also syncs flawlessly with my brailliant and Braillenote.

Dr. Jeanette McAllister

757-346-0708

Sent from my iPhone

On Mar 31, 2016, at 12:01 PM, Poppa Bear <heavens4real@...> wrote:

Jeanette McAllister  PhD

President / CEO

A Heart Staffing                                                   

PO Box 1277

Franklin, VA 23851

www.aheartstaffing.com

--Robert Louis Stevenso