moderated Microsoft Edge, no more favorites manager/have to do with context key now


Ashleigh Piccinino
 

Hello,

I just figured out, for those of you wondering where the favorites manager is in Edge, that … there’s not one … not really, anyway. When you press CTRL shift and o—of course altogether, don’t move anywhere in the tree view. Press your applications key and, for those of you wanting to “sort by name,” arrow down to choice 4 of however many choices it says. Of course, this is for JAWS users. The choice is “sort by name” and hit enter. Just my teaching tip for a little bit/haven’t put anything up for a while, so …

Ashleigh S. Piccinino (Practicum student at Nixa Public Schools for TVI certificate in Missouri).

 

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

 


Cohn, Jonathan
 

I heard mention that Edge is experimenting with a new more accessible Favorites system that is available in the latest daily builds. I believe I saw mention of this about two weeks ago, therefore, it is probably making its way into the stable  insider builds soon.
If you feel like impacting this process, perhaps you want to download the latest insider build and use the feedback assistance. 
Jonathan
 

On Feb 10, 2021, at 05:47, Ashleigh Piccinino <apiccinino@...> wrote:

Hello,
I just figured out, for those of you wondering where the favorites manager is in Edge, that … there’s not one … not really, anyway. When you press CTRL shift and o—of course altogether, don’t move anywhere in the tree view. Press your applications key and, for those of you wanting to “sort by name,” arrow down to choice 4 of however many choices it says. Of course, this is for JAWS users. The choice is “sort by name” and hit enter. Just my teaching tip for a little bit/haven’t put anything up for a while, so …
Ashleigh S. Piccinino (Practicum student at Nixa Public Schools for TVI certificate in Missouri).
 
Sent from Mail for Windows 10
 


 

So far it is still only part of the Canari version of Edge, there are two more steps after this, the developer and beta versions before it gets into the public build. Of course I am not entirely sure how quickly this goes and if, for example, Canari features first are added to the other programs or if they can go straight from being in Canari to a public release. I have tried it and it's fantastic, you just press Control + Shift + O and like in the Windows Start Menu start typing a few letters of your Favourite and then arrow down to select from a list of choices.

 

Best regards,

Sieghard

 

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Cohn, Jonathan via groups.io
Sent: Sunday, February 14, 2021 5:02 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Microsoft Edge, no more favorites manager/have to do with context key now

 

I heard mention that Edge is experimenting with a new more accessible Favorites system that is available in the latest daily builds. I believe I saw mention of this about two weeks ago, therefore, it is probably making its way into the stable  insider builds soon.

If you feel like impacting this process, perhaps you want to download the latest insider build and use the feedback assistance. 

Jonathan

 



On Feb 10, 2021, at 05:47, Ashleigh Piccinino <apiccinino@...> wrote:

 

Hello,

I just figured out, for those of you wondering where the favorites manager is in Edge, that … there’s not one … not really, anyway. When you press CTRL shift and o—of course altogether, don’t move anywhere in the tree view. Press your applications key and, for those of you wanting to “sort by name,” arrow down to choice 4 of however many choices it says. Of course, this is for JAWS users. The choice is “sort by name” and hit enter. Just my teaching tip for a little bit/haven’t put anything up for a while, so …

Ashleigh S. Piccinino (Practicum student at Nixa Public Schools for TVI certificate in Missouri).

 

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

 

 


 

On Sun, Feb 14, 2021 at 09:02 AM, Sieghard Weitzel wrote:
So far it is still only part of the Canari version of Edge
-
The search function you describe is in Edge Dev, too, and all it amounts to is what you said, automatic invocation of the search function.  That search function actually exists in the current production Edge, too, but does not have automatic invocation.  You've got to fire it up using the search control that shows up after you've hit CTRL+SHIFT+O.

It is a great convenience, that's for certain, but it's currently available with an extra step to fire it up.
 
--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 20H2, Build 19042  

One does not discover new lands without consenting to lose sight of the shore for a very long time.

           ~ André Gide


Nermin
 

Hi,


I wish one could use first-letter navigation to browse favourites, just like in Chrome itself with their bookmarks feature.

The way it currently works is a bit time-consuming, using control+shift+o, then waiting for the tree view to gain focus.


Regards,

Nermin


 

You can if you install the Edge Canari build and if you don't want to do that then just wait a bit longer as I am sure this will be available in a public release in the next few weeks or couple of months.

-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Nermin via groups.io
Sent: Sunday, February 14, 2021 10:51 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Microsoft Edge, no more favorites manager/have to do with context key now

Hi,


I wish one could use first-letter navigation to browse favourites, just like in Chrome itself with their bookmarks feature.

The way it currently works is a bit time-consuming, using
control+shift+o, then waiting for the tree view to gain focus.


Regards,

Nermin


 

If it's already in the Dev version than it's I guess a step closer to being in a public release, I hadn't checked because on another list I was told it was part of the Canary build.

-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Nermin via groups.io
Sent: Sunday, February 14, 2021 10:51 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Microsoft Edge, no more favorites manager/have to do with context key now

Hi,


I wish one could use first-letter navigation to browse favourites, just like in Chrome itself with their bookmarks feature.

The way it currently works is a bit time-consuming, using
control+shift+o, then waiting for the tree view to gain focus.


Regards,

Nermin


Patrick Murphy
 

Hi,

The most friendly and compact browser i have found based on chrome is called brave.
It acts exactly like google chrome, edge, etc. If you want to get to the favourites menu using this browser, all you have to do is keep pressing the f6 key until you get to the menu.
After that, you can use first letter navigation to find what you want.
If you have only one thing beginning with "s" for example, as soon as you press "s" that web page will load.
If you have two things beginning with "s" you will land on the first one.
Hitting enter will then load this page.
Otherwise, you can down arrow to the next "s" entry.
As chrome based browsers go, i have found this to be very secure, compact and lite on computer resources and space.
You can also add/remove as many or few extensions as you like.
It also gives a much better reading on things like speed tests.
Edge keeps changing too much for me to use.
Once you get used to something in edge, they change it.
My advice, install brave and try it.
You also have the option to keep what you have, or upgrade on the next build.
It is not forced on you like edge is.

Pat


Sent from my gmail account.

-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Nermin via groups.io
Sent: Sunday 14 February 2021 18:51
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Microsoft Edge, no more favorites manager/have to do with context key now

Hi,


I wish one could use first-letter navigation to browse favourites, just
like in Chrome itself with their bookmarks feature.

The way it currently works is a bit time-consuming, using
control+shift+o, then waiting for the tree view to gain focus.


Regards,

Nermin


 

On Sun, Feb 14, 2021 at 03:33 PM, Sieghard Weitzel wrote:
If it's already in the Dev version than it's I guess a step closer to being in a public release
-
Yup.

The Canary channel has new builds nightly, the Dev Channel every week, and the Beta Channel every 6 weeks.  See: 

Download Microsoft Edge Insider Channels

I've actually been using Edge Dev since before the new Chromium-based Edge was widely released, and it's been so trouble free that I've just stayed with it.  I do, of course, have the production release of Edge on my machine like any Windows 10 user does that's up to date, but I don't use it, favoring Edge Dev instead.

I actually prefer the search function to first letter navigation because you can, and often do, have lots of favorites that start with the same letter, but by the time you've typed two or three, you've often zeroed in on exactly what you're looking for and a down arrow lands you on it. 
--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 20H2, Build 19042  

One does not discover new lands without consenting to lose sight of the shore for a very long time.

           ~ André Gide


Audiobookfan
 

You can use first letter navigation in both the Edge and Brave browsers. You must have the Favorites/Bookmarks Bar visible. Here's how it's done:

Press alt-shift-b. You should land on a folder of your favorites/bookmarks. If you have more than one folder, you can use the left and right arrow keys to select the folder you want. Then, press the down arrow. From this point, you can use first letter navigation to navigate your favorites/bookmarks.

I use both Edge and Brave and have used this method in both browsers successfully.

Jeff

On 2/14/2021 2:37 PM, Patrick Murphy wrote:
Hi,
The most friendly and compact browser i have found based on chrome is called brave.
It acts exactly like google chrome, edge, etc. If you want to get to the favourites menu using this browser, all you have to do is keep pressing the f6 key until you get to the menu.
After that, you can use first letter navigation to find what you want.
If you have only one thing beginning with "s" for example, as soon as you press "s" that web page will load.
If you have two things beginning with "s" you will land on the first one.
Hitting enter will then load this page.
Otherwise, you can down arrow to the next "s" entry.
As chrome based browsers go, i have found this to be very secure, compact and lite on computer resources and space.
You can also add/remove as many or few extensions as you like.
It also gives a much better reading on things like speed tests.
Edge keeps changing too much for me to use.
Once you get used to something in edge, they change it.
My advice, install brave and try it.
You also have the option to keep what you have, or upgrade on the next build.
It is not forced on you like edge is.
Pat
Sent from my gmail account.
-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Nermin via groups.io
Sent: Sunday 14 February 2021 18:51
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Microsoft Edge, no more favorites manager/have to do with context key now
Hi,
I wish one could use first-letter navigation to browse favourites, just
like in Chrome itself with their bookmarks feature.
The way it currently works is a bit time-consuming, using
control+shift+o, then waiting for the tree view to gain focus.
Regards,
Nermin