moderated jaws 2021 problems.

Patrick Murphy

Hi,

I haven’t posted here in a while, so bare with me if this has been covered.

A simple one first.

Jaws 2021 speaks the count and position of shortcuts on the desktop, files in a folder etc.

For example:

It will say “file.pdf 1 of 20”

If the folder has 20 files in it.

I have just upgraded from jaws 2018.

2018 did not say the number or position of the file in the folder.

Is there a way to turn this off?

I only want to know the name of the file, not what position it is in the list, or how many files are in the directory.

The second thing:

I mentioned this before, but wondered if anyone since has encountered this.

I have raised a ticket about it with sight and sound in the uk.

When jaws 2021 loads, you cannot use “insert+j” to bring up the jaws menu.

You have to quit jaws and start it again.

I mentioned this problem before with jaws 2020 (demo version), but i thought it might go away, now that i have been able to purchase the full version of jaws 2021.

However, it has not.

I have tried all the usual, uninstall reinstall, repair, etc.

Jaws 2018 is not on the computer now.

The only thing that i have left is to uninstall jaws 2021, remove any files or folders with “freedom scientific” on it, clean the registery with ccleaner, and then reinstall jaws 2021.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry if i am rambling.

Stay safe,

Pat

Sent from my gmail account.

Van Lant, Robin

Patrick,

Curious, have you tried using alternate Insert keys with J to see if that works?  For me, I cannot get the JAWS menu to open with the caps lock key, but it works with the numpad 0 or the standard insert key.

[...]

127 Public Square, Cleveland, OH 44114

Chris Hill

I talked to FS about your second problem.  All they could suggest is forcing jaws to load later in the startup sequence.  That didn’t fix it for me.  What  fixed it for me was moving my system to a faster SSD drive.  I didn’t expect that result, but it was welcome.

On Feb 9, 2021, at 14:49, Patrick Murphy <murphy.patrick42@...> wrote:

[...]

Mike B.

Hi Patrick,

For your 1st problem:
1. Open the Settings Center with, Jaws key + 6, on the number row and then press, control, shift + D, to open the Settings Center default all applications.

2. Down arrow to, Speech verboscity closed, right arrow to open.  Down arrow 1 time to hear what verboscity level you're running, and now down arrow 1 more time to, Configure verboscity levels closed, and right arrow to open.

3. Down arrow to your verboscity level..., and press the spacebar to open.  Don't press enter only use the spacebar right here.

4. The first item in the list is, Announce position and count when navigating in lists, if this is checked press the spacebar to uncheck it.

5. Tab to, Okay, press the spacebar, tab to, Apply, press the spacebar, and tab to, Okay, press enter to save and close.

Stay safe and take care.  Mike.

[...]

Dave Durber

If you are using the Laptop Keyboard Layout, to open the JAWS Context Menu, you need to press, CTRL+SHIFT+CAPS LOCK+J.

Dave

[...]

hi, thanks for all your help. the verbosity problem is solved. however, for the jaws not loading problem, i found a curious thing. i am connecting wirelessly to my router. if i use the 2.4 ghz band, jaws loads correctly. if i use the 5ghz band, the problem occurs. i have tried this now with three different computers, all with the same result. this brings me back to the original problem i had in 2020, when someone mentioned the "grace period authorization". i now firmly believe, that this is the problem. jaws is trying to authorize itself too fast, and then doesn't load correctly. the 2.4 ghz band is slower than the 5ghz band, but not by much. however, it seems to be enough, to make the problem go away. the only thing now, is that i cannot use the 5ghz band on my router without unloading and reloading jaws 2021. i reported this to errick dammery in freedom scientific when it started last year. if there is anyone on this forum from freedom scientific, could you please pay attention to what is being said? again, sorry for rambling, but you would have thought, that this problem would be solved, as it now spans two versions of jaws. god knows, we pay enough for it!!!. i know which band on my router i am connecting to, as the 2.4 and 5 ghz bands have separate ssids. regards and thanks, pat.

Richard Turner

Hi Pat,

That seems like a very good diagnosis on your part.

I’d recommend sending your email again to Eric and to the Jaws support link, as some times it takes a couple tries to get their attention.

I had an issue that is finally solved in 2021 that went back to 2019 and it took several tries to get their attention.

They are rather busy, so I’m not blaming anyone, just pointing out that the old saying is true: “The squeaky wheel gets the grease.”

Richard

My web site, www.turner42.com