moderated voice assistant question

Madison Martin

Hi all,
On the topic of the Jaws voice assistant, can anyone tell me how to get rid of
it or turn it off? I tried going into utilities and I thought I'd turned it off,
but it would seem not, as it still goes off even though I've never said any wake
word to it ever. It's annoying and I'd like to have it turned off permanently if
at all possible. I'm running the latest build of Jaws 2021 and Windows 10 2004.
Thanks
Madison

Richard Turner

Press insert+6, then control+shift+d to get to the jaws defaults.
Type Voice in the search box and arrow down, you should hear something like:
5 Search Results List box
Voice Aliases
Customize Voice Aliases...
Voice Aliases
Voice Assistant
Enable Voice Assistant checked

On the enable voice assistant, press space to uncheck it and hit enter.

Richard

Ralph's Observation: It is a mistake to allow any mechanical object<>to realize that you are in a hurry.

My web site, www.turner42.com

-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Madison Martin
Sent: Friday, February 5, 2021 12:07 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: voice assistant question

Hi all,
On the topic of the Jaws voice assistant, can anyone tell me how to get rid of it or turn it off? I tried going into utilities and I thought I'd turned it off, but it would seem not, as it still goes off even though I've never said any wake word to it ever. It's annoying and I'd like to have it turned off permanently if at all possible. I'm running the latest build of Jaws 2021 and Windows 10 2004.
Thanks
Madison

Mike B.

Here are both ways to disable:
1 way to access the Sharky Voice Assistant settings is:
1. Press, Insert + J, to open the Jaws context menu.

2. Press the letter, U, to open Utilities and Sharky the Voice Assistant submenu should be highlighted.

3. Press enter or right arrow to open, arrow down to, Settings..., and press enter.
Stay safe and take care.  Mike.

Go to jaws settings with insert 6.
Switch to default with control shift D.
Type voice in to the search field and arrow down to voice assistant.
Press enter. Open the tree view with right arrow key, then arrow down to Listen for wake word Sharkey and make sure it isn't checked. Tab to ok and press
space bar or enter to trigger the ok button and you should be fine.
Chris Judge

Stay safe and take care.  Mike.

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Friday, February 05, 2021 12:06 PM

Hi all,
it or turn it off? I tried going into utilities and I thought I'd turned it off,
but it would seem not, as it still goes off even though I've never said any wake
word to it ever. It's annoying and I'd like to have it turned off permanently if
at all possible. I'm running the latest build of Jaws 2021 and Windows 10 2004.
Thanks
Madison 

David Diamond

I did not know it even existed. I tend to stay away from voice assistive things if at all possible. I've had some interesting experiences with the dictate function on my iPhone as in saying , "Thrift store. " It came out something entirely different which is not suitable for this list. I've never enabled "sharky" So, don't understand Madison why it would be turned on in the first place on your computer.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Madison
Martin
Sent: February 5, 2021 12:07 PM

Hi all,
On the topic of the Jaws voice assistant, can anyone tell me how to get rid of it
or turn it off? I tried going into utilities and I thought I'd turned it off, but it
would seem not, as it still goes off even though I've never said any wake word
to it ever. It's annoying and I'd like to have it turned off permanently if at all
possible. I'm running the latest build of Jaws 2021 and Windows 10 2004.
Thanks
Madison

Madison Martin

It's on by default.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of David Diamond
Sent: February 5, 2021 4:42 PM
Subject: Re: voice assistant question

I did not know it even existed. I tend to stay away from voice assistive things
if at all possible. I've had some interesting experiences with the dictate
function on my iPhone as in saying , "Thrift store. " It came out something
entirely different which is not suitable for this list. I've never enabled
"sharky" So, don't understand Madison why it would be turned on in the first
place on your computer.

Hi all,
it or turn it off? I tried going into utilities and I thought I'd turned it
off, but it would seem not, as it still goes off even though I've never said
any wake word to it ever. It's annoying and I'd like to have it turned off
permanently if at all possible. I'm running the latest build of Jaws 2021 and
Windows 10 2004.
Thanks
Madison

David Diamond

Perhaps I never used the word wake.

Martin
Sent: February 5, 2021 2:55 PM

It's on by default.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of David
Diamond

entirely different which is not suitable for this list. I've never enabled "sharky"
So, don't understand Madison why it would be turned on in the first place on
your computer.

Martin

Hi all,
it or turn it off? I tried going into utilities and I thought I'd turned it off, but it
to it ever. It's annoying and I'd like to have it turned off permanently if at all
Thanks
Madison

Randy Barnett <blindmansbluff09@...>

The wake word is Sharky

Randy Barnett

On Feb 5, 2021, at 9:35 PM, David Diamond <Daviddiamond2019@outlook.com> wrote:

Perhaps I never used the word wake.

Martin
Sent: February 5, 2021 2:55 PM

It's on by default.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of David
Diamond

entirely different which is not suitable for this list. I've never enabled "sharky"
So, don't understand Madison why it would be turned on in the first place on
your computer.

Martin

Hi all,
it or turn it off? I tried going into utilities and I thought I'd turned it off, but it
Thanks
Madison

Dictation is never perfect, but I find it amazingly useful especially if I am just replying to a text message with a brief message of my own. It is everybody's responsibility to check what SIRI or whichever device or assistant you are using is writing and to correct mistakes, embarrassing or not. The email signatures I sometimes see about that dictation was used and to excuse any mistakes are a pet peeve of mine, there is no reason why you can't check your dictation results and correct any mistakes.

Sent: Friday, February 5, 2021 2:42 PM

I did not know it even existed. I tend to stay away from voice assistive things if at all possible. I've had some interesting experiences with the dictate function on my iPhone as in saying , "Thrift store. " It came out something entirely different which is not suitable for this list. I've never enabled "sharky" So, don't understand Madison why it would be turned on in the first place on your computer.

Hi all,
On the topic of the Jaws voice assistant, can anyone tell me how to get rid of it or turn it off? I tried going into utilities and I thought I'd turned it off, but it would seem not, as it still goes off even though I've never said any wake word to it ever. It's annoying and I'd like to have it turned off permanently if at all possible. I'm running the latest build of Jaws 2021 and Windows 10 2004.
Thanks
Madison

David Diamond

I agree. 98% of the time the dictate function gets what I am trying to say. Yes, it is ultimately the responsibility of the sender to make sure what is being sent is what one is truly saying with no grammatical or spelling mistakes. I find the dictate function invaluable when I need to check the weather or some such thing. If it is sunny currently but there is a chance of rain, I do not want to be caught on a mountain trail during a down poor. Dogs by enlarge don't care if they get wet, I don't want to be drenched just because I was too lazy to check the weather.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Sieghard Weitzel
Sent: February 6, 2021 8:42 AM

Dictation is never perfect, but I find it amazingly useful especially if I am just replying to a text message with a brief message of my own. It is everybody's responsibility to check what SIRI or whichever device or assistant you are using is writing and to correct mistakes, embarrassing or not. The email signatures I sometimes see about that dictation was used and to excuse any mistakes are a pet peeve of mine, there is no reason why you can't check your dictation results and correct any mistakes.

Hi all,
Thanks
Madison

Marty Hutchings

My question is, why do voice assistant AI assume you want to use swear words? Can't they be programmed to be nice?

Love in Christ
Marty
If we view this present life as our primary goal, we will agree with William Shakespeare who said: “Life is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.” From TODAY IN THE WORD June 1, 2020

Sent: Saturday, February 06, 2021 10:42 AM

Hi all,
Thanks
Madison

Richard Turner

I've never had any voice assistant, Siri, Sharky, Alexa, use swear words.

I know it happens, but I think one could make sure to speak distinctly and not in a noisy environment to reduce the errors.

Richard

Ralph's Observation: It is a mistake to allow any mechanical object<>to realize that you are in a hurry.

My web site, www.turner42.com

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Marty Hutchings
Sent: Saturday, February 6, 2021 10:54 AM

My question is, why do voice assistant AI assume you want to use swear words? Can't they be programmed to be nice?

Love in Christ
Marty
If we view this present life as our primary goal, we will agree with William Shakespeare who said: "Life is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing." From TODAY IN THE WORD June 1, 2020 -----Original Message-----

Hi all,
On the topic of the Jaws voice assistant, can anyone tell me how to get rid of it or turn it off? I tried going into utilities and I thought I'd turned it off, but it would seem not, as it still goes off even though I've never said any wake word to it ever. It's annoying and I'd like to have it turned off permanently if at all possible. I'm running the latest build of Jaws
2021 and Windows 10 2004.
Thanks
Madison

Joseph Hudson

Is anybody no if you can say hey Sharky when you're writing a reply to an email and she will insert the text of what you said into an email?

On Feb 6, 2021, at 10:42 AM, Sieghard Weitzel <sieghard@live.ca> wrote:

Hi all,
Thanks
Madison

On a IPhone the time it takes to correct a message often out ways the effect it will have on the communication. I just don't have the time to go through and retype all the dictation errors in a message. I will if it makes the message unreadable or it is a professional communication.

On 2/6/2021 8:42 AM, Sieghard Weitzel wrote:

Hi all,
Thanks
Madison

The reality is a lot of people swear and it is just a fact of life. Also it is not up to an AI to decide how you or I talk. That is a personal choice that an AI has no business deciding for us.

On 2/6/2021 10:53 AM, Marty Hutchings wrote:

Love in Christ
Marty
If we view this present life as our primary goal, we will agree with William Shakespeare who said: “Life is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.” From TODAY IN THE WORD June 1, 2020
-----Original Message----- From: Sieghard Weitzel

I did not know it even existed.  I tend to stay away from voice assistive things if at all possible.  I've had some interesting experiences with the dictate function on my iPhone as in saying , "Thrift store. "  It came out something entirely different which is not suitable for this list.  I've never enabled "sharky"  So, don't understand Madison why it would be turned on in the first place on your computer.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Madison  Martin

Hi all,
On the topic of the Jaws voice assistant, can anyone tell me how to get rid of it  or turn it off? I tried going into utilities and I thought I'd turned it off, but it  would seem not, as it still goes off even though I've never said any wake word  to it ever. It's annoying and I'd like to have it turned off permanently if at all  possible. I'm running the latest build of Jaws 2021 and Windows 10 2004.
Thanks
Madison

Marty Hutchings

But, that is just it. I feel that the AI is deciding how I talk by inserting those words.

Love in Christ
Marty

Sent: Saturday, February 06, 2021 9:12 PM

The reality is a lot of people swear and it is just a fact of life. Also
it is not up to an AI to decide how you or I talk. That is a personal
choice that an AI has no business deciding for us.

Love in Christ
Marty

Hi all,
Thanks
Madison

This doesn't happen to me.Maybe twice since I started using it several years ago. Perhaps it is more of a pronunciation issue.

On 2/6/2021 8:32 PM, Marty Hutchings wrote:
But, that is just it.  I feel that the AI is deciding how I talk by inserting those words.

Love in Christ
Marty
-----Original Message----- From: Randy Barnett
Sent: Saturday, February 06, 2021 9:12 PM

The reality is a lot of people swear and it is just a fact of life. Also
it is not up to an AI to decide how you or I talk. That is a personal
choice that an AI has no business deciding for us.

Love in Christ
Marty

I did not know it even existed.  I tend to stay away from voice assistive things if at all possible.  I've had some interesting experiences with the dictate function on my iPhone as in saying , "Thrift store. "  It came out something entirely different which is not suitable for this list.  I've never enabled "sharky"  So, don't understand Madison why it would be turned on in the first place on your computer.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Madison  Martin

Hi all,
On the topic of the Jaws voice assistant, can anyone tell me how to get rid of it  or turn it off? I tried going into utilities and I thought I'd turned it off, but it  would seem not, as it still goes off even though I've never said any wake word  to it ever. It's annoying and I'd like to have it turned off permanently if at all  possible. I'm running the latest build of Jaws 2021 and Windows 10 2004.
Thanks
Madison