Sent: Sunday, March 27, 2016 10:33 AM
Subject: Jaws 11 and zwindows 10.

Hi guys,
I have Kodi15.2 installed on my Windows Vista laptop. I'm thinking about upgrading to Windows 10 to install Kodi 16, as it currently crashes, that's why I'm running 15.
My question is, can I upgrade Vista to Windows 10, and would Jaws 11 be compatible with Windows 10? And how would I update to 10?

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 13241 (20160327) __________

http://www.eset.com

Walt Smith

Not to mention that there are a lot of other things that are no longer compatible with JAWS 11. If one is totally dependent on an access application to use the computer and doesn't keep that application 100% current, my totally uncharitable opinion is that they shouldn't even try to use a computer. Yes, it costs money to keep an access application up-to-date, but it also costs money to live from day to day.

Hi, Shane. Only JAWS 16 or 17 is compatible with Windows 10.
I have Kodi15.2 installed on my Windows Vista laptop. I'm thinking about upgrading to Windows 10 to install Kodi 16, as it currently crashes, that's why I'm running 15.
My question is, can I upgrade Vista to Windows 10, and would Jaws 11 be compatible with Windows 10? And how would I update to 10?

david Jennette

Ok, if the computer has Vista you’d have to update to windows seven before you could upgrade to windows ten if you wanted to take advantage of the free upgrade. Let’s also not forget needing to upgrade jaws. It’s my opinion that you’d probably be better off just getting a new laptop. Maybe use NVDA until you could upgrade jaws if expense is an issue.

Not to mention that there are a lot of other things that are no longer compatible with JAWS 11. If one is totally dependent on an access application to use the computer and doesn't keep that application 100% current, my totally uncharitable opinion is that they shouldn't even try to use a computer. Yes, it costs money to keep an access application up-to-date, but it also costs money to live from day to day.

Hi, Shane. Only JAWS 16 or 17 is compatible with Windows 10.

I have Kodi15.2 installed on my Windows Vista laptop. I'm thinking about upgrading to Windows 10 to install Kodi 16, as it currently crashes, that's why I'm running 15.
My question is, can I upgrade Vista to Windows 10, and would Jaws 11 be compatible with Windows 10? And how would I update to 10?

As others have already mentioned, the free upgrade to Windows 10 is only available for devices running Windows 7 or later.  It seems that there have been a lot of questions popping up lately about upgrading very old equipment to Windows 10, and my own personal experience plus observations as a support tech clearly indicate that doing so is not likely to work.  See the thread entitled, Question if laptop will work for W10, on the Windows 10 Screen Reader Users forum for additional discussion.

I also agree with the general point that one must keep one's software at least reasonably up to date for the specific operating system environment in which you intend to use it.  JAWS 10 and JAWS 11 are, by all measures, "antique" now and there are all sorts of issues with trying to keep either alive under Windows 10, even if one could do so.  As already noted, NVDA is available at no cost if expense is an issue and if one happens to have MS-Office 2010 or later installed on their computer a fully functional version of Window-Eyes is available at no cost as well.

Brian