From: Elise Berkley [mailto:bravaegf@hotmail.com]
Sent: Saturday, Jan 13, 2018 1:26 PM EST
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Deleting user name, etc. from a website

Hello, everyone. I hope all had a good new years.

I am cleaning up my computer (so to speak) and I wanted to know if there
is a general way to remove myself from websites that I have setup an
account. I have a few that I have set user name, password, etc. and I am
getting emails from many of these. I know I can unsubscribe from their
newsletter list, but can I also remove my profile from the actual
website? Thank you very much.

Elise Berkley - now Merced, California, not Long Beach

Elise Berkley

Okay, thank you very much. Evidently, each site has this, but they keep it well hidden so you have to struggle to do this. Have a good day.
Elise Berkley

Sieghard Weitzel <sieghard@...>

Yes, some websites do hide any account removal links well and sometimes it’s easier to Google something like “How do I delete my xxx account” where you put in the name of the company, service or website for “xxx”. There are even websites where you simply can’t remove your account and you might have to request them to do this for you.

I think this is one area where legislation could do a lot. Every service or website should allow for one’s account to be closed and removed and it should be manditory that a link to do so should be just as easily accessible on the main page as the link to sign up for an account or the “Contact Us” link.