Trying to "reply to" messages, without success!

HAMILTON

Moderator:

Once before, I requested assistance on how to “reply” to messages since the way to do it has been changed.  I have not heard a response to this, and, again, I ask if someone could send the “instructions” for doing this.  I used to be successful at doing this, and “muting a thread” is still easy to do; but for “replying”, there seems to be 2 “separate” edit fields, instead of just 1.  The first has the “subject”, and the second is “blank”.  However, I enter my reply in this second edit box, and then, I cannot find the “send to group”/etc. links.

Please tell me what I am doing wrong!  In the past, I have been able to help a few other listers with helpful replies to their questions, and have been able to ask follow-up questions.  Now, unless I send in a “separate” response to a specific message, I cannot do that anymore.

Please help!

Jim Hamilton

Mcginnis, Barbara

Are you using a certain e-mail package?  All of my list messages come in on my Microsoft Outlook account and I have no problem replying.  With this bit of information, I might be able to help you.

[...]

Well, I am not using the “reply” option.  Rather, I am sending this to Barbara  Mcginnis, who replied to my question, and to the “moderator”.

First, thanks for doing so Barbara.

Currently, I too am using MS OUTLOOK, part of MS OFFICE 2013, with Windows 8.1, IE11 and JAWS latest V: 17 update.

Again, thank you for responding.  This is the second time that I have tried to find out what I’m doing wrong, or what, if anything, may have changed in this regard.  As I said, I have no problem “muting threads”; so, I should be able to do this.

BTW:     I notice that my message did get into the JFW Digest; but, I am not sure if it got there naturally, or if a “moderator” put it on there for me.  If the latter, thank you.

Jim H

judith bron

Try control/shift R.

Well, I am not using the “reply” option.  Rather, I am sending this to Barbara  Mcginnis, who replied to my question, and to the “moderator”.

First, thanks for doing so Barbara.

Currently, I too am using MS OUTLOOK, part of MS OFFICE 2013, with Windows 8.1, IE11 and JAWS latest V: 17 update.

Again, thank you for responding.  This is the second time that I have tried to find out what I’m doing wrong, or what, if anything, may have changed in this regard.  As I said, I have no problem “muting threads”; so, I should be able to do this.

BTW:     I notice that my message did get into the JFW Digest; but, I am not sure if it got there naturally, or if a “moderator” put it on there for me.  If the latter, thank you.

Jim H

James Homuth

You appear to have replied to this message just fine...

Well, I am not using the “reply” option.  Rather, I am sending this to Barbara  Mcginnis, who replied to my question, and to the “moderator”.

First, thanks for doing so Barbara.

Currently, I too am using MS OUTLOOK, part of MS OFFICE 2013, with Windows 8.1, IE11 and JAWS latest V: 17 update.

Again, thank you for responding.  This is the second time that I have tried to find out what I’m doing wrong, or what, if anything, may have changed in this regard.  As I said, I have no problem “muting threads”; so, I should be able to do this.

BTW:     I notice that my message did get into the JFW Digest; but, I am not sure if it got there naturally, or if a “moderator” put it on there for me.  If the latter, thank you.

Jim H

Melissa Stott <mstott69@...>

I have tried Control Shift R, and that doesn’t seem to work for me.  However, I use ControlR, and that works just fine.  I am using Windows Live Mail.

Sent: Wednesday, March 30, 2016 4:07 AM

You appear to have replied to this message just fine...

Well, I am not using the “reply” option.  Rather, I am sending this to Barbara  Mcginnis, who replied to my question, and to the “moderator”.

First, thanks for doing so Barbara.

Currently, I too am using MS OUTLOOK, part of MS OFFICE 2013, with Windows 8.1, IE11 and JAWS latest V: 17 update.

Again, thank you for responding.  This is the second time that I have tried to find out what I’m doing wrong, or what, if anything, may have changed in this regard.  As I said, I have no problem “muting threads”; so, I should be able to do this.

BTW:     I notice that my message did get into the JFW Digest; but, I am not sure if it got there naturally, or if a “moderator” put it on there for me.  If the latter, thank you.

Jim H

Mcginnis, Barbara

Jim, I used Control plus R to reply to this message and it defaulted to the message edit box.  I also tried Alt plus H for message and then RP for reply.  Does not matter which method I use, I arrive at the same place.  I hope this helps.  I am using Windows 7.  At home, I have Windows 10.  My Windows 8.1 machine does not have Outlook 2013.

[...]

Carolyn Arnold <4carolyna@...>

I tried both of those commands which worked for me too.

Bye for now,

Carolyn

________________________________

Well, I am not using the “reply” option. Rather, I am sending this to Barbara Mcginnis, who replied to my question, and to the “moderator”.

First, thanks for doing so Barbara.

Currently, I too am using MS OUTLOOK, part of MS OFFICE 2013, with Windows 8.1, IE11 and JAWS latest V: 17 update.

Again, thank you for responding. This is the second time that I have tried to find out what I’m doing wrong, or what, if anything, may have changed in this regard. As I said, I have no problem “muting threads”; so, I should be able to do this.

BTW: I notice that my message did get into the JFW Digest; but, I am not sure if it got there naturally, or if a “moderator” put it on there for me. If the latter, thank you.

Jim H

________________________________

HAMILTON

Please note, I tried the ctrl-shft-r method, and got a “delivery failure notice”.  So, below is the “reply” that I tried to send that way.

****************

Alright James...  I am fairly sure that this should work; but, it is not how I am used to "replying to messages" from the "digest". (* In fact, it did not work!)

If that reply message came through, it was because I had to do a lot of "fiddling around", and was more a matter of luck.  The below explains my experiences.  I must be doing something wrong.  The way I am doing this is very much more complicated than what it needs to be - I'm certain!

At the bottom of any given Digest message, there are 3 links, 1 to "view the message", another to "reply to this message", and a third to "mute this thread".  I have never used the first link; but, when I use the other 2, I was taken to the JFW group website.  "Muting threads" was simple.  However, the "reply to this message" process must have changed in the last couple of months.  It used to be that I would enter the message number in the appropriate box, and then tab to the "reply" edit box, enter my reply, and tab to the "message format (e.g. HTML(", "send to all", "send to sender" buttons.  When I clicked on the appropriate buttons (e.g. "HTML" and "send to all", I then look for the "close", click on that, and I am told that I can close because the "reply has been sent".

Now, after entering the message number, there seems to be 2 edit boxes, 1 with the "subject line", and the other is empty.  When I tried to enter my replies in either of these boxes, the text would be entered; but, I could not then find the "format", "send to all", or "send to sender" buttons to press.  So, I am confused, and would like to get back to being successful at this task.  However, if I cannot find this "instruction", I will keep doing what I have done today; but, it really is tedious to have to "delete" everything from the rest of the "digest".

Just trying to do the best I can with what I've got!

Jim H

P.S.:       If I want to reply to only the “sender”, I know that I could use the sender’s e-mail address from the digest; but, this will not work for replying to the whole list.

   From: James Homuth <james@...>

   Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2016 01:08:09 PDT

You appear to have replied to this message just fine...

_____

Mute This Thread: https://groups.io/mt/802705?uid=22237

3b. Re: Trying to "reply to" messages, without success!

   From: Melissa Stott <mstott69@...>

   Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2016 02:47:39 PDT

I have tried Control Shift R, and that doesn’t seem to work for me.  However, I use ControlR, and that works just fine.  I am using Windows Live Mail.

Mute This Thread: https://groups.io/mt/802705?uid=22237

Carolyn Arnold <4carolyna@...>

What kind of e-mail client to you have? Maybe someone on the list could
tell you what could work in your case. Just plain Control-R works with
Outlook Express and Outlook.

Bye for now,

Carolyn

From: Melissa Stott <mstott69@verizon.net
<mailto:mstott69@verizon.net> >
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2016 02:47:39 PDT

I have tried Control Shift R, and that doesn't seem to work for me.
However, I use ControlR, and that works just fine. I am using Windows
Live Mail.
Mute This Thread: https://groups.io/mt/802705?uid=22237

Dave...

That command is to reply directly to the sender. Is that what you were trying to do?

Dave Carlson

   From: Melissa Stott <mstott69@...>

   Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2016 02:47:39 PDT

I have tried Control Shift R, and that doesn’t seem to work for me.  However, I use ControlR, and that works just fine.  I am using Windows Live Mail.

Mute This Thread: https://groups.io/mt/802705?uid=22237

James Malone

Did you try control plus R?

   From: Melissa Stott <mstott69@...>

   Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2016 02:47:39 PDT

I have tried Control Shift R, and that doesn’t seem to work for me.  However, I use ControlR, and that works just fine.  I am using Windows Live Mail.

Mute This Thread: https://groups.io/mt/802705?uid=22237

Alan Robbins <alan1057@...>

Dave,

I thought Jaws key + shift + R was to reply directly to sender?

Best,

Al

   From: Melissa Stott <mstott69@...>

   Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2016 02:47:39 PDT

I have tried Control Shift R, and that doesn’t seem to work for me.  However, I use ControlR, and that works just fine.  I am using Windows Live Mail.

Mute This Thread: https://groups.io/mt/802705?uid=22237

Dave...

I think that's what I said. Was something not clear?

Dave Carlson

   From: Melissa Stott <mstott69@...>

   Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2016 02:47:39 PDT

I have tried Control Shift R, and that doesn’t seem to work for me.  However, I use ControlR, and that works just fine.  I am using Windows Live Mail.

Mute This Thread: https://groups.io/mt/802705?uid=22237

Lee Maschmeyer

Long years ago in another life I installed something, another screen reader I think, that redefined a key I needed for something or other. Since I never used that screen reader I was puzzled when my shortcut key stopped working. I wonder if that might be the problem here. There used to be a program that would tell you what program a hot key belonged to but I don't know whether it's been updated or how complete it is.

HTH,

--

Lee Maschmeyer

"Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise."
--Lewis Carroll

Alan Robbins <alan1057@...>

Dave,
When I read the thread, and I just looked back down to the bottom of that, someone said control shift are and all I was simply saying is it is the jaws key shift our where's the jaws key and control key are different keys.
No big deal just wanted to point that also folks did not get confused.
Alan

   From: Melissa Stott <mstott69@...>

   Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2016 02:47:39 PDT