moderated Using hyphen

kevin meyers

Hello,

I’m using Windows10 , Jaws2021 and Outlook2021 most recent versions.

Since the most recent update with Jaws2021 I will use a hyphen and when it is between two letters with a space between it sounds like is saying on. I then delete it and it then says dash.

Here is an example:

Hello – goodbye

Does this say on between the words? Has anyone encountered this issue?

Below is an example when I type the same as above, then delete the hyphen and type it back in.

Hello - goodbye!

Thanks,

Kevin

Don Walls

Is it perhaps not saying “on” but the letter “nn (as in Norman).  If you type a hyphen with a space each side of it, that’s what it reads.

Don

I’m using Windows10 , Jaws2021 and Outlook2021 most recent versions.

Since the most recent update with Jaws2021 I will use a hyphen and when it is between two letters with a space between it sounds like is saying on. I then delete it and it then says dash.

Here is an example:

Hello – goodbye

Does this say on between the words? Has anyone encountered this issue?

Below is an example when I type the same as above, then delete the hyphen and type it back in.

Hello - goodbye!

Thanks,

Kevin

Bill White <billwhite92701@...>

Hi, Kevin and Don. To stop this behavior in Outlook and Office,

1. Open the Outlook Options dialog box.

2. click File > Options.

3. click the Mail in the left bar, and then click the Spelling and Autocorrect button in the Compose messages section.

4. In the Editor Options dialog box, click the Proofing in the left bar, and then click the AutoCorrect Options button in the AutoCorrect options section.

5. In the AutoCorrect dialog box, go to the AutoFormat As You Type tab, and uncheck the Hyphens (--) with dash (—) check box, And then click the OK button.

6. Click the OK buttons to close all dialog boxes to finish saving the settings. From now on, the hyphen will be spoken as dash instead of n dash.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

I’m using Windows10 , Jaws2021 and Outlook2021 most recent versions.

Since the most recent update with Jaws2021 I will use a hyphen and when it is between two letters with a space between it sounds like is saying on. I then delete it and it then says dash.

Here is an example:

Hello – goodbye

Does this say on between the words? Has anyone encountered this issue?

Below is an example when I type the same as above, then delete the hyphen and type it back in.

Hello - goodbye!

Thanks,

Kevin

Richard Turner

It is saying “m dash” because a hyphen with a space on each side is an “M dash” WHICH MEANS THE SHORT DASH.

If it were a long dash, it would say “N dash.”

So, Jaws is accurately reporting the punctuation name.

A hyphen, in strict terms, is used to join two words together, so if you write hello-goodbye  with no spaces jaws, like most screen readers says “dash” when it really should say “hyphen”.

Dashes are used to separate words kind of like parenthesis.

A lot of authors seems to be using dashes in place of parenthesis, which irritates me, but what is one going to do.

That is why when you split a word with more than one syllable between lines you use a hyphen not a dash because the hyphen denotes that the word is supposed to be joined.

But screen readers are not grammar teachers.

Richard

My web site, www.turner42.com

Is it perhaps not saying “on” but the letter “nn (as in Norman).  If you type a hyphen with a space each side of it, that’s what it reads.

Don

I’m using Windows10 , Jaws2021 and Outlook2021 most recent versions.

Since the most recent update with Jaws2021 I will use a hyphen and when it is between two letters with a space between it sounds like is saying on. I then delete it and it then says dash.

Here is an example:

Hello – goodbye

Does this say on between the words? Has anyone encountered this issue?

Below is an example when I type the same as above, then delete the hyphen and type it back in.

Hello - goodbye!

Thanks,

Kevin

Bill White <billwhite92701@...>

By the way, the n dash is a dash which is longer than a simple hyphen. By unchecking this check box in the autoformat tab, the hyphen is no longer replaced by the longer dash. This is why it no longer says n dash.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

I’m using Windows10 , Jaws2021 and Outlook2021 most recent versions.

Since the most recent update with Jaws2021 I will use a hyphen and when it is between two letters with a space between it sounds like is saying on. I then delete it and it then says dash.

Here is an example:

Hello – goodbye

Does this say on between the words? Has anyone encountered this issue?

Below is an example when I type the same as above, then delete the hyphen and type it back in.

Hello - goodbye!

Thanks,

Kevin

Don Walls

Richard and Bill, thanks for your comments.  We all learned something today! (Smile)

Don

Is it perhaps not saying “on” but the letter “nn (as in Norman).  If you type a hyphen with a space each side of it, that’s what it reads.

Don

I’m using Windows10 , Jaws2021 and Outlook2021 most recent versions.

Since the most recent update with Jaws2021 I will use a hyphen and when it is between two letters with a space between it sounds like is saying on. I then delete it and it then says dash.

Here is an example:

Hello – goodbye

Does this say on between the words? Has anyone encountered this issue?

Below is an example when I type the same as above, then delete the hyphen and type it back in.

Hello - goodbye!

Thanks,

Kevin

Van Lant, Robin

To echo what Bill pointed out, sighted readers will be a bit confused by someone using a simple hyphen between words since it is visually shorter in length, rather than the m Dash the autocorrection makes.  Better to leave it to autocorrect and just know why JAWS is saying m dash.  I agree; at least with Vocalizer Nathan, it sounds more like “on dash”.

leave

Is it perhaps not saying “on” but the letter “nn (as in Norman).  If you type a hyphen with a space each side of it, that’s what it reads.

Don

I’m using Windows10 , Jaws2021 and Outlook2021 most recent versions.

Since the most recent update with Jaws2021 I will use a hyphen and when it is between two letters with a space between it sounds like is saying on. I then delete it and it then says dash.

Here is an example:

Hello – goodbye

Does this say on between the words? Has anyone encountered this issue?

Below is an example when I type the same as above, then delete the hyphen and type it back in.

Hello - goodbye!

Thanks,

Kevin

127 Public Square, Cleveland, OH 44114

Mario

using Eloquence with JAWS, to me, it sounds more like en dash.

WARNING: This email originated externally. Exercise caution. Think
before clicking links or opening attachments.

It is saying “m dash” because a hyphen with a space on each side is an
“M dash” WHICH MEANS THE SHORT DASH.

If it were a long dash, it would say “N dash.”

So, Jaws is accurately reporting the punctuation name.

A hyphen, in strict terms, is used to join two words together, so if you
write hello-goodbye  with no spaces jaws, like most screen readers says
“dash” when it really should say “hyphen”.

Dashes are used to separate words kind of like parenthesis.

A lot of authors seems to be using dashes in place of parenthesis, which
irritates me, but what is one going to do.

That is why when you split a word with more than one syllable between
lines you use a hyphen not a dash because the hyphen denotes that the
word is supposed to be joined.

But screen readers are not grammar teachers.

Richard

Ralph's Observation:  It is a mistake to allow any mechanical object<>to
realize that you are in a hurry.

My web site, www.turner42.com
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__http:/www.turner42.com__;!!LteP8qmF6ok6!diyhDmk_nuFDRGzES7TIc7l3ps6vIuEJrf2MoGQXAHuGns8biVJv0MSGvfksxRCQ5jo$>

Is it perhaps not saying “on” but the letter “nn (as in Norman).  If you
type a hyphen with a space each side of it, that’s what it reads.

Don

I’m using Windows10 , Jaws2021 and Outlook2021 most recent versions.

Since the most recent update with Jaws2021 I will use a hyphen and when
it is between two letters with a space between it sounds like is saying
on. I then delete it and it then says dash.

Here is an example:

Hello – goodbye

Does this say on between the words? Has anyone encountered this issue?

Below is an example when I type the same as above, then delete the
hyphen and type it back in.

Hello - goodbye!

Thanks,

Kevin

information. It is intended solely for the use of the addressee. No
confidentiality or privilege is waived or lost as a result of any
transmission errors. If you are not the intended recipient, you are
strictly prohibited from disclosing, copying, distributing or using any
of this information. If you have received this communication in error,
please contact the sender immediately and destroy the material in its
entirety, whether electronic or hard copy.

This communication is for informational purposes only, is not an offer,
solicitation, recommendation or commitment for any transaction or to buy
or sell any security or other financial product, and is not intended as
investment advice or as a confirmation of any transaction. Any market
price, indicative value, estimate, view, opinion, data or other
information herein is not warranted as to completeness or accuracy, is
subject to change without notice, and KeyBanc Capital Markets Inc.
accepts no liability for its use or to update or keep it current. Any
views or opinions are those of the individual sender, not necessarily of
KeyBanc Capital Markets Inc.

The sender of this communication is a licensed securities representative
employed by or associated with KeyBanc Capital Markets Inc. Member
FINRA/SIPC and may also represent KeyBank National Association (“KeyBank
N.A.”). Securities products and services are offered by KeyBanc Capital
Markets Inc. Banking products and services are offered by KeyBank N.A.

127 Public Square, Cleveland, OH 44114

services from Key send an e-mail to DNERequests@key.com with 'No
Promotional E-mails' in the SUBJECT line.

Marty Hutchings

Kevin,  Your first example does indeed say “On dash” when reading letter by letter, but doesn’t say anything when reading by line.  The second example just says “Dash” when reading letter by letter and nothing when reading line by line.  I am using JAWS 21.  I have noticed this in earlier versions of JAWS as well.

Love in Christ
Marty

Sent: Wednesday, January 27, 2021 1:20 PM

Hello,

I’m using Windows10 , Jaws2021 and Outlook2021 most recent versions.

Since the most recent update with Jaws2021 I will use a hyphen and when it is between two letters with a space between it sounds like is saying on. I then delete it and it then says dash.

Here is an example:

Hello – goodbye

Does this say on between the words? Has anyone encountered this issue?

Below is an example when I type the same as above, then delete the hyphen and type it back in.

Hello - goodbye!

Thanks,

Kevin

Randy Barnett

the first says "in dash". by line, word and letter. and the second doesn't say anything other than the two words by line and dash by word or letter. I wonder why it is adding the "N" sound to the dash in my setup. It is a distinct N sound not an on sound.

Sent: Wednesday, January 27, 2021 1:20 PM

Hello,

I’m using Windows10 , Jaws2021 and Outlook2021 most recent versions.

Since the most recent update with Jaws2021 I will use a hyphen and when it is between two letters with a space between it sounds like is saying on. I then delete it and it then says dash.

Here is an example:

Hello – goodbye

Does this say on between the words? Has anyone encountered this issue?

Below is an example when I type the same as above, then delete the hyphen and type it back in.

Hello - goodbye!

Thanks,

Kevin

Mario

in the first example, it is auto correcting the dash or hyphen into the HTML equivalent? just guessing.

the first says "in dash". by line, word and letter. and the second
doesn't say anything other than the two words by line and dash by word
or letter. I wonder why it is adding the "N" sound to the dash in my
setup. It is a distinct N sound not an on sound.

On 1/27/2021 3:45 PM, Marty              wrote:

Kevin,  Your first example does indeed say “On dash” when reading
letter by letter, but doesn’t say anything when reading by line.  The
second example just says “Dash” when reading letter by letter and
nothing when reading line by line.  I am using JAWS 21.  I have
noticed this in earlier versions of JAWS as well.
Love in Christ
Marty
If we view this present life as our primary goal, we will agree with
William Shakespeare who said: “Life is a tale told by an idiot, full
of sound and fury, signifying nothing.” From TODAY IN THE WORD June 1,
2020
I’m using Windows10 , Jaws2021 and Outlook2021 most recent versions.

Since the most recent update with Jaws2021 I will use a hyphen and
when it is between two letters with a space between it sounds like is
saying on. I then delete it and it then says dash.

Here is an example:

Hello – goodbye

Does this say on between the words? Has anyone encountered this issue?

Below is an example when I type the same as above, then delete the
hyphen and type it back in.

Hello - goodbye!

Thanks,

Kevin

Dave Durber

Don:

JAWS is reporting the correct way that Outlook and Word produce the hyphen character by default. For example:

The short hyphen with a space on either side, is called an "n dash" because, the hyphen is the same width as a capital letter "n". This is the same as typing "space hyphen space".

the long hyphen with a space on either side, is called an "M dash" because, the hyphen is the same width as a capital letter "M". This is the same as typing "space hyphen hyphen space".