moderated I am totally embarrassed with my last email. I apologize. My computer will not update and can't install any programs on it now, including jaws versions 2019 through 2021.

Jim Rawls

Hi all, I have been with the Microsoft desk five different times on this, and they finally told me that they couldn’t help me. They think I have a hard ware issue. I have been trying to get this computer to update all the windows update for month’s .now, and it just won’t update. I have jaws 2018 on it, but it is only part of the program. For example I have jaws 18 Om my desk top. When I hit enter on it, it doesn’t go to options, basic, etc. it opens to jaws, roaming, settings. I have a disc here with jaws 2018 on it, and it tries to install, but the install fails at   50%. I tried to install versions 19 through 2021 and they all failed at 50%.This computer used to be wonderful. I haven’t a clue as to what has happened to titlist there any way I can reset the computer, and get a   fresh start with it? How could I do that and keep the programs I have? Is there anything I can do? This is an ASUS computer, 3 years old? Thanks for putting up with my earlier emails. Jim.

Jim Weiss

If you think that the problem exists at the OS level, just download the media creation tool and using external hard drive to create a bootable Windows 10 installation disk. Then wipe your hard drive and start completely from scratch.

On Jan 22, 2021, at 3:49 PM, Jim Rawls <jazzpiano@...> wrote:

[...]

Glenn / Lenny

Jim,
What version of Windows?
Also, although I doubt it is the case, but is your hard drive full?
Also, did you do a check disk for errors on the C: drive and check the box to automatically fix errors?
Before reinstalling, I would do a registry check with a registry program.
I use Registry First Aid, it was not expensive, maybe 15 dollars.
If after all that, and if you think it is the hard drive, which probably is not the case, you can use Win PE to copy the c:\users folder and reinstall Windows, and you will need to reinstall your programs, and then you can put the files from your users folders back.
Or you can use the Win PE to zip up the contents of C: and put in a new HD and copy the stuff back.
If you do the latter, don't zip up the two files:
pagefile.sys and hiberfil.sys
Windows recreates those temp files on startup.
Or you can use Win PE to reinstall Windows, but if it's 10, the installer from MS should bring up Narrator.
Otherwise, if you don't want to mess with Win PE, just be sure to go to c:\users\your ID\and copy the folders you want, like documents and downloads.
Here's a link to a Win PE for burning to DVD or USB:

Glenn