moderated Navigation of Settings in new MS Edge

Van Lant, Robin

I’m stuck on navigating the settings area of MS Edge.  Once I’ve opened settings with Alt F and arrowing up to Settings, I know a new page loads.  I cannot figure out how to get focus to the left area where there are different sections for setting options.  I’ve tried tabbing F6, and using the JAWS cursor, but I’m not figuring this out.  I was trying to get to the section where you change the startup page options.  Can someone enlighten me?  Using JAWS 2021 and Microsoft Edge Version 87.0.664.60.

Robin Van Lant, Sr. Program Manager - Sales Enablement

Key Equipment Finance & Key Institutional Bank

720-304-1060

KeyCorp Public This communication may contain privileged and/or confidential information. It is intended solely for the use of the addressee. No confidentiality or privilege is waived or lost as a result of any transmission errors. If you are not the intended recipient, you are strictly prohibited from disclosing, copying, distributing or using any of this information. If you have received this communication in error, please contact the sender immediately and destroy the material in its entirety, whether electronic or hard copy.

This communication is for informational purposes only, is not an offer, solicitation, recommendation or commitment for any transaction or to buy or sell any security or other financial product, and is not intended as investment advice or as a confirmation of any transaction. Any market price, indicative value, estimate, view, opinion, data or other information herein is not warranted as to completeness or accuracy, is subject to change without notice, and KeyBanc Capital Markets Inc. accepts no liability for its use or to update or keep it current. Any views or opinions are those of the individual sender, not necessarily of KeyBanc Capital Markets Inc.

The sender of this communication is a licensed securities representative employed by or associated with KeyBanc Capital Markets Inc. Member FINRA/SIPC and may also represent KeyBank National Association (“KeyBank N.A.”). Securities products and services are offered by KeyBanc Capital Markets Inc. Banking products and services are offered by KeyBank N.A.

127 Public Square, Cleveland, OH 44114

If you prefer not to receive future e-mail offers for products or services from Key send an e-mail to DNERequests@... with 'No Promotional E-mails' in the SUBJECT line.

Chromium-based Edge: Setting Home Page, Default Opening Page(s), and Search Engine
--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 20H2, Build 19042  

One does not discover new lands without consenting to lose sight of the shore for a very long time.

~ André Gide

Let's try that again, since the link I had isn't going straight to the message with the step-by-step instructions, but it should now:

Chromium-based Edge: Setting Home Page, Default Opening Page(s), and Search Engine
--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 20H2, Build 19042  

One does not discover new lands without consenting to lose sight of the shore for a very long time.

~ André Gide

Mike B.

Hi Robin,

Here's how I get to many more features to change settings for all kinds of things.
1. With Edge open press, Alt + F, to open the menu and press the letter, S, to open settings.

2. When Settings opens you should land on a search field, press enter to open the search field, if it isn't open, and and type the word, more.

3. Tab a couple of times to navigation region Profiles, and downarrow to find...
Stay safe and take care.  Mike.

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, January 21, 2021 8:42 PM
Subject: Navigation of Settings in new MS Edge

I’m stuck on navigating the settings area of MS Edge.  Once I’ve opened settings with Alt F and arrowing up to Settings, I know a new page loads.  I cannot figure out how to get focus to the left area where there are different sections for setting options.  I’ve tried tabbing F6, and using the JAWS cursor, but I’m not figuring this out.  I was trying to get to the section where you change the startup page options.  Can someone enlighten me?  Using JAWS 2021 and Microsoft Edge Version 87.0.664.60.

Robin Van Lant, Sr. Program Manager - Sales Enablement

Key Equipment Finance & Key Institutional Bank

720-304-1060

KeyCorp Public This communication may contain privileged and/or confidential information. It is intended solely for the use of the addressee. No confidentiality or privilege is waived or lost as a result of any transmission errors. If you are not the intended recipient, you are strictly prohibited from disclosing, copying, distributing or using any of this information. If you have received this communication in error, please contact the sender immediately and destroy the material in its entirety, whether electronic or hard copy.

This communication is for informational purposes only, is not an offer, solicitation, recommendation or commitment for any transaction or to buy or sell any security or other financial product, and is not intended as investment advice or as a confirmation of any transaction. Any market price, indicative value, estimate, view, opinion, data or other information herein is not warranted as to completeness or accuracy, is subject to change without notice, and KeyBanc Capital Markets Inc. accepts no liability for its use or to update or keep it current. Any views or opinions are those of the individual sender, not necessarily of KeyBanc Capital Markets Inc.

The sender of this communication is a licensed securities representative employed by or associated with KeyBanc Capital Markets Inc. Member FINRA/SIPC and may also represent KeyBank National Association (“KeyBank N.A.”). Securities products and services are offered by KeyBanc Capital Markets Inc. Banking products and services are offered by KeyBank N.A.

127 Public Square, Cleveland, OH 44114

If you prefer not to receive future e-mail offers for products or services from Key send an e-mail to DNERequests@... with 'No Promotional E-mails' in the SUBJECT line.

David Kingsbury

Hi Robin and others,

Thanks for the question and ideas of ways to find settings you can change. While the new Edge is very nice in many respects, procedures for accessing all the settings you can change is not one of them. It makes no intuitive sense. By contrast, the Chrome Settings page is much easy to figure out for anybody who knows how to navigate by headings. I hope at some point, the Microsoft folks reconfigure their Settings page so it can be navigated similar to how the Chrome Settings page is navigated.

Regards,

David

Bill White <billwhite92701@...>

Hi, David. One thing can make Microsoft's Settings behave sort of like that of Google Chrome's Settings. Once you reach the Settings page in edge, if you press the B key a few times, do you see a button labelled something like Main Settings Menu? If so, press SPACE or ENTER on that button, and you will see headings for all the settings.

If you don't see this button, try the following. Once you are in Settings (not Settings and More), TAB once, and see if you see a Settings tree view for which JAWS announces Settings Tree View. If you see this category list, all you need do is Arrow up and down to reach a particular Settings category. Once you find the category you wish to explore, simply press ENTER.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of David Kingsbury
Sent: Sunday, January 24, 2021 6:09 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Navigation of Settings in new MS Edge

Hi Robin and others,

Thanks for the question and ideas of ways to find settings you can change. While the new Edge is very nice in many respects, procedures for accessing all the settings you can change is not one of them. It makes no intuitive sense. By contrast, the Chrome Settings page is much easy to figure out for anybody who knows how to navigate by headings. I hope at some point, the Microsoft folks reconfigure their Settings page so it can be navigated similar to how the Chrome Settings page is navigated.

Regards,

David

Brian Zolo

Hey there, Bill, brother Brian Zolo here in Gahanna, Ohio, how’s it going?  I’m attempting to get and install the nord vpn extension for Microsoft edge and I’ve checked the box in settings to allow settings from the google store but I’m not being successful in finding the nordvpn browser extension for chrome.  Any suggestions you have will be greatly appreciated, you stay safe and have a blessed day!  BZ!

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Bill White
Sent: Sunday, January 24, 2021 12:08 PM

Hi, David. One thing can make Microsoft's Settings behave sort of like that of Google Chrome's Settings. Once you reach the Settings page in edge, if you press the B key a few times, do you see a button labelled something like Main Settings Menu? If so, press SPACE or ENTER on that button, and you will see headings for all the settings.

If you don't see this button, try the following. Once you are in Settings (not Settings and More), TAB once, and see if you see a Settings tree view for which JAWS announces Settings Tree View. If you see this category list, all you need do is Arrow up and down to reach a particular Settings category. Once you find the category you wish to explore, simply press ENTER.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of David Kingsbury

Hi Robin and others,

Regards,

David

Hi, Brian. Below is a link that, when pasted into the Edge address bar will take you to the Nord VPN for Chrome. You can add this to Edge.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/nordvpn-%E2%80%94-1-vpn-chrome-ex/fjoaledfpmneenckfbpdfhkmimnjocfa?hl=en

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Brian Zolo
Sent: Sunday, January 24, 2021 9:35 AM

Hey there, Bill, brother Brian Zolo here in Gahanna, Ohio, how’s it going?  I’m attempting to get and install the nord vpn extension for Microsoft edge and I’ve checked the box in settings to allow settings from the google store but I’m not being successful in finding the nordvpn browser extension for chrome.  Any suggestions you have will be greatly appreciated, you stay safe and have a blessed day!  BZ!

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

Hi Robin and others,

Regards,

David

Brian Zolo

Hey there, Bill, thanks so much!  Got it installed now just fine!  Have a blessed day and stay safe!  BZ!

Sent: Sunday, January 24, 2021 1:22 PM

Hi, Brian. Below is a link that, when pasted into the Edge address bar will take you to the Nord VPN for Chrome. You can add this to Edge.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/nordvpn-%E2%80%94-1-vpn-chrome-ex/fjoaledfpmneenckfbpdfhkmimnjocfa?hl=en

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Brian Zolo
Sent: Sunday, January 24, 2021 9:35 AM

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

Hi Robin and others,

Regards,

David

Mike B.

Hi Bill,

Using J2021 and Edge latest, whether using forms mode in automatic or manual mode I'm not finding what you're referring to as a Main settings button.  This what I get navigating by button using manual forms mode.

Add Profile button
More actions button menu
Sign in button
Passwords button
Payment info button
Address and more button
Import browser data button
Profile preferences button
No more buttons found

But, if I turn forms mode to automatic, 
open settings, navigate to, Search settings edit
close forms mode with the PC key,
then down arrow to, Settings categories,
and press enter a tree view opens and then I can down arrow to many other categories listed below.
Profiles 
Profiles selected
Privacy, search, and services
Appearance
On startup
New tab page
Share, copy, and paste
Cookies and site permissions
Default browser
Downloads
Family safety
Languages
Printers
System
Reset settings
Phone and other devices
About Microsoft Edge

Sent: Sunday, January 24, 2021 9:07 AM

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

Hi Robin and others,

Regards,

David

Hi, Mike. That's very weird. I can't figure out why Edge has three different ways of displaying its settings categories.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Mike B
Sent: Sunday, January 24, 2021 11:56 AM

Hi Bill,

Using J2021 and Edge latest, whether using forms mode in automatic or manual mode I'm not finding what you're referring to as a Main settings button.  This what I get navigating by button using manual forms mode.

Add Profile button

More actions button menu

Sign in button

Passwords button

Payment info button

Address and more button

No more buttons found

and press enter a tree view opens and then I can down arrow to many other categories listed below.

Profiles ‑
Profiles selected
Appearance
On startup
New tab page
Share, copy, and paste
Default browser
Downloads
Family safety
Languages
Printers
System
Reset settings
Phone and other devices
About Microsoft Edge

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

Hi Robin and others,

Regards,

David

Mike B.

Howdy Bill,

As I stated the other day, I can also access the list of categories I posted earlier by typing, more, into the search field and tabbing a couple of times to be at the top of the list.  This is using forms mode set to automatic.

Sent: Sunday, January 24, 2021 1:05 PM

Hi, Mike. That's very weird. I can't figure out why Edge has three different ways of displaying its settings categories.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Mike B
Sent: Sunday, January 24, 2021 11:56 AM

Hi Bill,

Add Profile button

More actions button menu

Sign in button

Passwords button

Payment info button

Address and more button

No more buttons found

Profiles ‑
Profiles selected
Appearance
On startup
New tab page
Share, copy, and paste
Default browser
Downloads
Family safety
Languages
Printers
System
Reset settings
Phone and other devices
About Microsoft Edge

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

Hi Robin and others,

Regards,

David