moderated Navigation of Settings in new MS Edge

Van Lant, Robin

I’m stuck on navigating the settings area of MS Edge.  Once I’ve opened settings with Alt F and arrowing up to Settings, I know a new page loads.  I cannot figure out how to get focus to the left area where there are different sections for setting options.  I’ve tried tabbing F6, and using the JAWS cursor, but I’m not figuring this out.  I was trying to get to the section where you change the startup page options.  Can someone enlighten me?  Using JAWS 2021 and Microsoft Edge Version 87.0.664.60.

Robin Van Lant, Sr. Program Manager - Sales Enablement

Key Equipment Finance & Key Institutional Bank

720-304-1060

KeyCorp Public This communication may contain privileged and/or confidential information. It is intended solely for the use of the addressee. No confidentiality or privilege is waived or lost as a result of any transmission errors. If you are not the intended recipient, you are strictly prohibited from disclosing, copying, distributing or using any of this information. If you have received this communication in error, please contact the sender immediately and destroy the material in its entirety, whether electronic or hard copy.

127 Public Square, Cleveland, OH 44114

Chromium-based Edge: Setting Home Page, Default Opening Page(s), and Search Engine

           ~ André Gide

Let's try that again, since the link I had isn't going straight to the message with the step-by-step instructions, but it should now:

Chromium-based Edge: Setting Home Page, Default Opening Page(s), and Search Engine

           ~ André Gide

Mike B.

Hi Robin,

Here's how I get to many more features to change settings for all kinds of things.
1. With Edge open press, Alt + F, to open the menu and press the letter, S, to open settings.

2. When Settings opens you should land on a search field, press enter to open the search field, if it isn't open, and and type the word, more.

3. Tab a couple of times to navigation region Profiles, and downarrow to find...
Stay safe and take care.  Mike.

[...]

David Kingsbury

Hi Robin and others,

Thanks for the question and ideas of ways to find settings you can change. While the new Edge is very nice in many respects, procedures for accessing all the settings you can change is not one of them. It makes no intuitive sense. By contrast, the Chrome Settings page is much easy to figure out for anybody who knows how to navigate by headings. I hope at some point, the Microsoft folks reconfigure their Settings page so it can be navigated similar to how the Chrome Settings page is navigated.

Regards,

David

Bill White <billwhite92701@...>

Hi, David. One thing can make Microsoft's Settings behave sort of like that of Google Chrome's Settings. Once you reach the Settings page in edge, if you press the B key a few times, do you see a button labelled something like Main Settings Menu? If so, press SPACE or ENTER on that button, and you will see headings for all the settings.

If you don't see this button, try the following. Once you are in Settings (not Settings and More), TAB once, and see if you see a Settings tree view for which JAWS announces Settings Tree View. If you see this category list, all you need do is Arrow up and down to reach a particular Settings category. Once you find the category you wish to explore, simply press ENTER.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

Thanks for the question and ideas of ways to find settings you can change. While the new Edge is very nice in many respects, procedures for accessing all the settings you can change is not one of them. It makes no intuitive sense. By contrast, the Chrome Settings page is much easy to figure out for anybody who knows how to navigate by headings. I hope at some point, the Microsoft folks reconfigure their Settings page so it can be navigated similar to how the Chrome Settings page is navigated.

Regards,

David

Brian Zolo

Hey there, Bill, brother Brian Zolo here in Gahanna, Ohio, how’s it going?  I’m attempting to get and install the nord vpn extension for Microsoft edge and I’ve checked the box in settings to allow settings from the google store but I’m not being successful in finding the nordvpn browser extension for chrome.  Any suggestions you have will be greatly appreciated, you stay safe and have a blessed day!  BZ!

Thanks for the question and ideas of ways to find settings you can change. While the new Edge is very nice in many respects, procedures for accessing all the settings you can change is not one of them. It makes no intuitive sense. By contrast, the Chrome Settings page is much easy to figure out for anybody who knows how to navigate by headings. I hope at some point, the Microsoft folks reconfigure their Settings page so it can be navigated similar to how the Chrome Settings page is navigated.

Regards,

David

Bill White <billwhite92701@...>

Hi, Brian. Below is a link that, when pasted into the Edge address bar will take you to the Nord VPN for Chrome. You can add this to Edge.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/nordvpn-%E2%80%94-1-vpn-chrome-ex/fjoaledfpmneenckfbpdfhkmimnjocfa?hl=en

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

[...]

Hey there, Bill, thanks so much!  Got it installed now just fine!  Have a blessed day and stay safe!  BZ!

[...]

Hi Bill,

Using J2021 and Edge latest, whether using forms mode in automatic or manual mode I'm not finding what you're referring to as a Main settings button.  This what I get navigating by button using manual forms mode.

Add Profile button
More actions button menu
Sign in button
Passwords button
Payment info button
Address and more button
Import browser data button
Profile preferences button
No more buttons found

But, if I turn forms mode to automatic,
open settings, navigate to, Search settings edit
close forms mode with the PC key,
then down arrow to, Settings categories,
and press enter a tree view opens and then I can down arrow to many other categories listed below.
Profiles
Profiles selected
Privacy, search, and services
Appearance
On startup
New tab page
Share, copy, and paste
Cookies and site permissions
Default browser
Downloads
Family safety
Languages
Printers
System
Reset settings
Phone and other devices
About Microsoft Edge

Stay safe and take care.  Mike.

Thanks for the question and ideas of ways to find settings you can change. While the new Edge is very nice in many respects, procedures for accessing all the settings you can change is not one of them. It makes no intuitive sense. By contrast, the Chrome Settings page is much easy to figure out for anybody who knows how to navigate by headings. I hope at some point, the Microsoft folks reconfigure their Settings page so it can be navigated similar to how the Chrome Settings page is navigated.

Regards,

David

Bill White <billwhite92701@...>

Hi, Mike. That's very weird. I can't figure out why Edge has three different ways of displaying its settings categories.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

Thanks for the question and ideas of ways to find settings you can change. While the new Edge is very nice in many respects, procedures for accessing all the settings you can change is not one of them. It makes no intuitive sense. By contrast, the Chrome Settings page is much easy to figure out for anybody who knows how to navigate by headings. I hope at some point, the Microsoft folks reconfigure their Settings page so it can be navigated similar to how the Chrome Settings page is navigated.

Regards,

David

Mike B.

Howdy Bill,

As I stated the other day, I can also access the list of categories I posted earlier by typing, more, into the search field and tabbing a couple of times to be at the top of the list.  This is using forms mode set to automatic.

Stay safe and take care.  Mike.