moderated punctuation when reading by word

Cohn, Jonathan

I believe this is an application function and not a JAWS function. There is a option in quick settings and perhaps regular JAWS settings called "smart word" which effect if you ask a word to be spoken if it will speak the word to the next punctuation, or or until the next space. My experience with this is it effects the reading, but not the movement. I generally, read by sentence or paragraph, and then if I need to drill down and read a specific word, will jump over to a braille display.

On Jan 23, 2021, at 13:13, Andrew James Bontrager <andrewbontrager@...> wrote:

Hello Mike. Thanks for taking the time to answer the question. I'm sorry I didn't make it clear. When I say reading by word, I mean reviewing the document left to right by word, insert right arrow for each word. Reviewing the document that way, in certain applications, punctuation is included with each word, but other times it is treated as another word, so I have to press the keystroke twice or three times to get past some heavy areas of punctuation.
Does that clarify my problem?

Mike B.

Hi Andrew,

Yes, it did, and does.  Did you try changing your punctuation settings at all to see if it would help?  If this doesn't help try changing the speech and sound scheme for the application.  The keystroke to access the list of speech and sound schemes is,
 Jaws key, alt + S.

This will take some experimentation and I do understand what you are wanting, but what you want and what Jaws settings can provide or, lack thereof as far as settings go is all we have to work with unless other scripts are written for the type of reading you desire.

If you find a speech and sound scheme that is pretty close to what you want you could possibly modify the sound scheme to do exactly what you are wanting but again, this will also take some, and maybe a lot of experimentation.  If you do decide to modify a speech and sound scheme keep track of the defaultnames / titles  because if you create / modify a default it will call it modified and if it's done more than once it'll a add a number as well.