moderated punctuation when reading by word

Cohn, Jonathan

I believe this is an application function and not a JAWS function. There is a option in quick settings and perhaps regular JAWS settings called "smart word" which effect if you ask a word to be spoken if it will speak the word to the next punctuation, or or until the next space. My experience with this is it effects the reading, but not the movement. I generally, read by sentence or paragraph, and then if I need to drill down and read a specific word, will jump over to a braille display.

On Jan 23, 2021, at 13:13, Andrew James Bontrager <andrewbontrager@...> wrote:

Hello Mike. Thanks for taking the time to answer the question. I'm sorry I didn't make it clear. When I say reading by word, I mean reviewing the document left to right by word, insert right arrow for each word. Reviewing the document that way, in certain applications, punctuation is included with each word, but other times it is treated as another word, so I have to press the keystroke twice or three times to get past some heavy areas of punctuation.
Does that clarify my problem?

Mike B.

Hi Andrew,

Yes, it did, and does.  Did you try changing your punctuation settings at all to see if it would help?  If this doesn't help try changing the speech and sound scheme for the application.  The keystroke to access the list of speech and sound schemes is,
 Jaws key, alt + S.

This will take some experimentation and I do understand what you are wanting, but what you want and what Jaws settings can provide or, lack thereof as far as settings go is all we have to work with unless other scripts are written for the type of reading you desire.

If you find a speech and sound scheme that is pretty close to what you want you could possibly modify the sound scheme to do exactly what you are wanting but again, this will also take some, and maybe a lot of experimentation.  If you do decide to modify a speech and sound scheme keep track of the defaultnames / titles  because if you create / modify a default it will call it modified and if it's done more than once it'll a add a number as well.

Example:  default scheme name, Classic, and after being modified, Classic modified  or  Classic modified 2...

Stay safe and take care.  Mike.

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Saturday, January 23, 2021 10:13 AM
Subject: Re: punctuation when reading by word

Hello Mike. Thanks for taking the time to answer the question. I'm sorry I didn't make it clear. When I say reading by word, I mean reviewing the document left to right by word, insert right arrow for each word. Reviewing the document that way, in certain applications, punctuation is included with each word, but other times it is treated as another word, so I have to press the keystroke twice or three times to get past some heavy areas of punctuation.

Andrew James Bontrager

Mike B.

Hi Andrew,

This can be changed in Quick Settings of an application, Jaws key + V, or in the, Settings Center default all applications, Jaws key + 6, then, control, shift + D.

In the search field type, punctuation, and when  the results populate you want, Punctuation Level.

Press the spacebar on the Punctuation level to toggle through your options and for what you're looking for you want to stop when you hear Jaws report, All.

In Quick settings after making the change tab to Okay and press enter to save / close.

In the Settings Center after making the change tab to apply press the spacebar and tab to okay and press enter to save / close.

A hotkey can be assigned to toggle the punctuation settings on the fly, if you're interested.

Stay safe and take care.  Mike.

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, January 21, 2021 11:02 AM
Subject: punctuation when reading by word

What do I need to adjust, either in Jaws or other programs, to have Jaws read each word with its punctuation included?
If I type the following in Notepad:
We went to Washington, D. C. yesterday, and all was well.
When I read through the sentence by word, the commas and periods are treated as part of each word. This is what I want all the time.
If I write that same message in Microsoft Word, Jaws treats the punctuation as separate words when reading word by word.
In Ted Notepad, where I really want to work, the problem gets worse when writing out words with apostrophes followed by commas. Then you have to deal with three stops when reviewing by word. This makes it especially hard when writing any kind of code, because Jaws stops at every parenthesis and bracket.
Can someone help?

Andrew James Bontrager

What do I need to adjust, either in Jaws or other programs, to have Jaws read each word with its punctuation included?
If I type the following in Notepad:
We went to Washington, D. C. yesterday, and all was well.
When I read through the sentence by word, the commas and periods are treated as part of each word. This is what I want all the time.
If I write that same message in Microsoft Word, Jaws treats the punctuation as separate words when reading word by word.
In Ted Notepad, where I really want to work, the problem gets worse when writing out words with apostrophes followed by commas. Then you have to deal with three stops when reviewing by word. This makes it especially hard when writing any kind of code, because Jaws stops at every parenthesis and bracket.
Can someone help?