moderated buttons on web pages

HH. Smith Jr.

Hi,

I have experienced the same issue with my doctor’s patient portal and MetroFax website. They both allow you to fill out the form fields but don’t even try to submit the information. I have tried everything except a hammer but to no avail. However, I did complain to MetroFax and it was determined it was a problem on their side. So, your problem may be on the source side and not you.

Tammy Freitag

Chris,

It is nice to know it isn’t just me.  Hahaha!

Thanks!

Take care!

Tammy

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Chris Chaffin
Sent: Thursday, January 21, 2021 6:11 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: buttons on web pages

I ran into the same problem yesterday when completing a report on a site for work. I also had a few radio buttons that Jaws would not select no matter what I tried.

I finally just temporarily turned off Jaws and turned on Narrator to do those few task.

Since Narrator did the task without a problem, that told me that the problem is with Jaws. At least thats the case with the problems that I was having.

Chris

On Jan 21, 2021, at 4:35 PM, Tammy Freitag <ms.sunflower61@...> wrote:

Ok, I am baffled.  I was filling out a form on a web site.  I successfully completed the form and could not activate the button to submit the form.  I am finding this to be a big headache on other sites I use.  I am running JFW2020.  I tried using the spacebar, enter and even left click.  No luck!  Does anybody have any suggestions how to make clicking buttons work?

Thanks!

Tammy

Virus-free. www.avast.com

Randy Barnett <blindmansbluff09@...>

Ya kinda sad... I have been paying for Jaws for over 25yrs. No I don't want you to tell me how much that is! LOL But I am finding that the free alternatives are working more and more when Jaws won't. don't get me wrong I am not ready to switch. Having to relearn all the little tricks and work arounds for a new screen reader is daunting.

On 1/21/2021 4:11 PM, Chris Chaffin wrote:

I ran into the same problem yesterday when completing a report on a site for work. I also had a few radio buttons that Jaws would not select no matter what I tried.

I finally just temporarily turned off Jaws and turned on Narrator to do those few task.
Since Narrator did the task without a problem, that told me that the problem is with Jaws. At least thats the case with the problems that I was having.

Chris

Ok, I am baffled.  I was filling out a form on a web site.  I successfully completed the form and could not activate the button to submit the form.  I am finding this to be a big headache on other sites I use.  I am running JFW2020.  I tried using the spacebar, enter and even left click.  No luck!  Does anybody have any suggestions how to make clicking buttons work?

Thanks!

Tammy

Justin Williams

Try turning off the virtual cursor.

ALso, I think there is a way of using the mouse cursor with the keyboard, but I've never done it before.

Thanks,

Justin

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Chris Chaffin
Sent: Thursday, January 21, 2021 7:11 PM

Chris

Thanks!

Tammy

Chris Chaffin

Chris

Thanks!

Tammy

Randy Barnett <blindmansbluff09@...>

So, if using the PC cursor or the Jaws cursor or turning off the Virtual cursor doesn't work with the space-bar, enter key or the left mouse click. Try using the touch cursor. shift plus PC cursor. Then go to the button and try all of the ways to activate it. double click the PC cursor quickly to exit touch cursor. Sometimes using the jaws cursor and right or left arrow'ing in the button will help. This works mostly with links but you never know what will work nowadays!

On 1/21/2021 1:35 PM, Tammy Freitag wrote:

Thanks!

Tammy

On Thu, Jan 21, 2021 at 05:11 PM, Tammy Freitag wrote:
Also, I am using the browser called Brave.
-
Although I use Brave myself, and very seldom have any unusual issues, it is always worth trying another Chromium-based browser to see if that changes anything.

Brave's emphasis on privacy, and how it implements things to best ensure that, can cause the occasional "burp."

Chrome, Edge, Vivaldi, or even Firefox (if you want to go non-Chromium-based) are alternatives that could be tried.

--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 20H2, Build 19042  

One does not discover new lands without consenting to lose sight of the shore for a very long time.

~ André Gide

Tammy Freitag

No.  This is  something I have not tried.  I will pop back over there and give it a go.

Thanks!

Tammy

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Milton Ota
Sent: Thursday, January 21, 2021 3:47 PM

Have you tried turning the virtual cursor off with the keystroke JAWS Key/Insert and the letter Z? Then if you loose focus on the button try to find it and press the spacebar.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Tammy Freitag
Sent: Thursday, January 21, 2021 3:35 PM
To: jfw@groups.io
Subject: buttons on web pages

Thanks!

Tammy

Tammy Freitag

Yes, good question!  Yes, I was able to navigate to it by pressing the letter b.  This is why I was baffled.  Also, I am using the browser called Brave.

Thanks!

Tammy

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: Thursday, January 21, 2021 4:07 PM

Serious question:  Are you certain it's a button?  (That is, can you land on it using the B browsing shortcut?)

In recent years there has been what I consider an awful trend, and that is creating links that appear visually as buttons.  I'm constantly seeing things that any sane person (who can also see, literally) would presume are buttons that are not, in actuality, buttons.  

If this thing is a link rather than a button you can find it with screen reader search or by bringing up the list of links and looking for a submit link.
--

One does not discover new lands without consenting to lose sight of the shore for a very long time.

~ André Gide

Serious question:  Are you certain it's a button?  (That is, can you land on it using the B browsing shortcut?)

In recent years there has been what I consider an awful trend, and that is creating links that appear visually as buttons.  I'm constantly seeing things that any sane person (who can also see, literally) would presume are buttons that are not, in actuality, buttons.  

If this thing is a link rather than a button you can find it with screen reader search or by bringing up the list of links and looking for a submit link.
--

~ André Gide

Milton Ota

Have you tried turning the virtual cursor off with the keystroke JAWS Key/Insert and the letter Z? Then if you loose focus on the button try to find it and press the spacebar.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Tammy Freitag
Sent: Thursday, January 21, 2021 3:35 PM
To: jfw@groups.io
Subject: buttons on web pages

Thanks!

Tammy

Tammy Freitag

Thanks!

Tammy