From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Chris Chaffin
Sent: Thursday, January 21, 2021 6:11 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: buttons on web pages

I ran into the same problem yesterday when completing a report on a site for work. I also had a few radio buttons that Jaws would not select no matter what I tried.

I finally just temporarily turned off Jaws and turned on Narrator to do those few task.

Since Narrator did the task without a problem, that told me that the problem is with Jaws. At least thats the case with the problems that I was having.

Chris

On Jan 21, 2021, at 4:35 PM, Tammy Freitag <ms.sunflower61@...> wrote:

Ok, I am baffled.  I was filling out a form on a web site.  I successfully completed the form and could not activate the button to submit the form.  I am finding this to be a big headache on other sites I use.  I am running JFW2020.  I tried using the spacebar, enter and even left click.  No luck!  Does anybody have any suggestions how to make clicking buttons work?

Thanks!

Tammy

Randy Barnett <blindmansbluff09@...>

Ya kinda sad... I have been paying for Jaws for over 25yrs. No I don't want you to tell me how much that is! LOL But I am finding that the free alternatives are working more and more when Jaws won't. don't get me wrong I am not ready to switch. Having to relearn all the little tricks and work arounds for a new screen reader is daunting.

On 1/21/2021 4:11 PM, Chris Chaffin wrote:

[...]

Justin Williams

Try turning off the virtual cursor.

ALso, I think there is a way of using the mouse cursor with the keyboard, but I've never done it before.

Thanks,

Justin

[...]

Chris Chaffin

[...]

So, if using the PC cursor or the Jaws cursor or turning off the Virtual cursor doesn't work with the space-bar, enter key or the left mouse click. Try using the touch cursor. shift plus PC cursor. Then go to the button and try all of the ways to activate it. double click the PC cursor quickly to exit touch cursor. Sometimes using the jaws cursor and right or left arrow'ing in the button will help. This works mostly with links but you never know what will work nowadays!

On 1/21/2021 1:35 PM, Tammy Freitag wrote:

Ok, I am baffled.  I was filling out a form on a web site.  I successfully completed the form and could not activate the button to submit the form.  I am finding this to be a big headache on other sites I use.  I am running JFW2020.  I tried using the spacebar, enter and even left click.  No luck!  Does anybody have any suggestions how to make clicking buttons work?

Thanks!

Tammy

On Thu, Jan 21, 2021 at 05:11 PM, Tammy Freitag wrote:
Also, I am using the browser called Brave.
-
Although I use Brave myself, and very seldom have any unusual issues, it is always worth trying another Chromium-based browser to see if that changes anything.

Brave's emphasis on privacy, and how it implements things to best ensure that, can cause the occasional "burp."

Chrome, Edge, Vivaldi, or even Firefox (if you want to go non-Chromium-based) are alternatives that could be tried.

           ~ André Gide

Tammy Freitag

No.  This is  something I have not tried.  I will pop back over there and give it a go.

Thanks!

Tammy

Have you tried turning the virtual cursor off with the keystroke JAWS Key/Insert and the letter Z? Then if you loose focus on the button try to find it and press the spacebar.

Ok, I am baffled.  I was filling out a form on a web site.  I successfully completed the form and could not activate the button to submit the form.  I am finding this to be a big headache on other sites I use.  I am running JFW2020.  I tried using the spacebar, enter and even left click.  No luck!  Does anybody have any suggestions how to make clicking buttons work?

Thanks!

Tammy

Tammy Freitag

Yes, good question!  Yes, I was able to navigate to it by pressing the letter b.  This is why I was baffled.  Also, I am using the browser called Brave.

Thanks!

Tammy