moderated Interesting Microsoft Word Issue

Tom Behler

Hello.

I’ve just noticed that after hitting control home to get to the bottom of a Microsoft Word file, and then hitting insert numpad 3,  I can no longer get information about the file, such as number of pages, etc..

When I do this, I now hear focus, zoom in, zoom out, zoom 100%..

Does anyone know what might have changed here, and how I can get my original document file information back?

I’m using Jaws 2021, Windows 10, and Office 365 here.

I wonder if this is the result of yet another Microsoft 365 update?

Thank you!

Tom Behler

Marie <magpie.mn@...>

Ctrl Home takes you to the top of the documentnot the end.

Sent: Thursday, January 21, 2021 6:41 AM
To: jfw list
Subject: Interesting Microsoft Word Issue

Hello.

I’ve just noticed that after hitting control home to get to the bottom of a Microsoft Word file, and then hitting insert numpad 3,  I can no longer get information about the file, such as number of pages, etc..

Does anyone know what might have changed here, and how I can get my original document file information back?

Thank you!

Tom Behler

Tom Behler

Marie:

Sorry for the confusion.

I mis-stated my original action.

When I hit control end to get to the bottom of the document, and then hit insert numpad 3,  I can no longer get information about the file, such as number of pages, etc..

Thank you!

Tom Behler

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Marie
Sent: Thursday, January 21, 2021 9:56 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Interesting Microsoft Word Issue

Hello.

Thank you!

Tom Behler

Leo

Hi, I’m using Jaws 2021 second January update, and Microsoft Word Subscription Version 16.0.13530.20368, and I’m not experiencing

What you have described although I’m experiencing a different issue related to text attributes in Word.

Best,

Leo Bado.

"It seems to me that I will always be happy in the place where I am not." Paul Auster. "City of Glass"

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Tom Behler
Sent: Thursday, January 21, 2021 10:00 AM

Marie:

Sorry for the confusion.

When I hit control end to get to the bottom of the document, and then hit insert numpad 3,  I can no longer get information about the file, such as number of pages, etc..

Thank you!

Tom Behler

Hello.

Thank you!

Tom Behler

Tom,

Presuming that INS+NumPad 3 used to invoke the MS-Word Word Count dialog, you could just use the Word shortcut ALT+R,W.

If it didn't, I can't be of much help.  I know that sometimes JAWS does its own custom thing through scripting that makes information more easily accessible, and if that's the case you were probably not getting the MS-Word Word Count dialog.  But they also have had the habit, on occasion, of introducing a JAWS shortcut that is just an alternate way of invoking a native shortcut, and I hate that because it's generally unnecessary and the JAWS shortcut often saves zero, or sometimes one, keystroke over the native program command.

--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 20H2, Build 19042  

One does not discover new lands without consenting to lose sight of the shore for a very long time.

~ André Gide

Richard Turner

Once again, I agree with Brian, JAWS coming up with costom keyboard commands that do not add anything that the native program does already with existing shortcuts is annoying at the very least. People end up not knowing that the insert key exists because Jaws calls it the Jaws key. 
insert-numpad3 reads the status line. You may have to go into the Word settings and add word count back to the status line. 
Or just use the default shortcut Brian gave. 

Richard

"You know," said Arthur, "it's at times like this, when I'm trapped in a Vogon airlock with a man from Betelgeuse, and about to die of asphyxiation in deep space, that I really wish I'd listened to what my mother told me when I was young."
"Why, what did she tell you?"
"I don't know, I didn't listen."
-- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy

On Jan 21, 2021, at 8:29 AM, Brian Vogel <britechguy@...> wrote:

Tom,

Presuming that INS+NumPad 3 used to invoke the MS-Word Word Count dialog, you could just use the Word shortcut ALT+R,W.

If it didn't, I can't be of much help.  I know that sometimes JAWS does its own custom thing through scripting that makes information more easily accessible, and if that's the case you were probably not getting the MS-Word Word Count dialog.  But they also have had the habit, on occasion, of introducing a JAWS shortcut that is just an alternate way of invoking a native shortcut, and I hate that because it's generally unnecessary and the JAWS shortcut often saves zero, or sometimes one, keystroke over the native program command.

--

One does not discover new lands without consenting to lose sight of the shore for a very long time.

~ André Gide

Adrian Spratt

Tom,

I’ve given up on getting word counts out of the insert-3 status line command. There was a way to restore that detail to the status line, but in my experience it didn’t stick. Instead, I press F6, then arrow down two or three times.

Sent: Thursday, January 21, 2021 11:00 AM

Marie:

Sorry for the confusion.

Thank you!

Tom Behler

Hello.

Thank you!

Tom Behler

On Thu, Jan 21, 2021 at 11:36 AM, Richard Turner wrote:
insert-numpad3 reads the status line.
-
I didn't think you could remove word count and page count from the status bar, but perhaps you can.  The zoom information is a part of the status bar as well, but it's at "the opposite end" from the page count and word count.

--

~ André Gide

On Thu, Jan 21, 2021 at 11:47 AM, Adrian Spratt wrote:
Instead, I press F6, then arrow down two or three times
-
And this is another instance where another of the native MS-Word shortcuts works and, to my mind, is preferable.  If the Navigation Pane is not open that F6 throws focus to the status bar and then you can use the left/right or up/down arrow keys to traverse the various components of the status bar.

You can count on the program's native shortcuts, regardless of the program, to work reliably unless there is something really odd with the program installation itself.

--

~ André Gide

By the way, if you are someone who uses the Navigation Pane, you need only hit F6 two times to get to the status bar.  The first puts you in to the edit box for searching in the Navigation Pane, the second to the page count item in the status bar.
--

~ André Gide

Tom Behler

Leo:

Thanks to the suggestion from another list member, I’ve now gotten things back to the way I want them.

Not sure how things got changed, though.

Tom Behler

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Leo
Sent: Thursday, January 21, 2021 11:07 AM

Hi, I’m using Jaws 2021 second January update, and Microsoft Word Subscription Version 16.0.13530.20368, and I’m not experiencing

What you have described although I’m experiencing a different issue related to text attributes in Word.

Best,

Leo Bado.

"It seems to me that I will always be happy in the place where I am not." Paul Auster. "City of Glass"

Sent: Thursday, January 21, 2021 10:00 AM

Marie:

Sorry for the confusion.

Thank you!

Tom Behler

Hello.

Thank you!

Tom Behler

Tom Behler

Thanks, Brian.

I’ll keep this shortcut suggestion in mind.

Tom Behler

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: Thursday, January 21, 2021 11:29 AM

Tom,

--

~ André Gide

Tom Behler

Thanks for this also, Adrian.

I guess there are more ways than one to get this info.

Learned something today.

Tom Behler

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Adrian Spratt
Sent: Thursday, January 21, 2021 11:47 AM

Tom,

I’ve given up on getting word counts out of the insert-3 status line command. There was a way to restore that detail to the status line, but in my experience it didn’t stick. Instead, I press F6, then arrow down two or three times.

Sent: Thursday, January 21, 2021 11:00 AM

Marie:

Sorry for the confusion.

Thank you!

Tom Behler

Hello.

Thank you!

Tom Behler

Mike B

Yes, you can add or remove different items that you want spoken when the, Jaws key + Page down, keystroke is invoked to read the status line. 

While in Word press the, F6 key, until you hear, Status bar.  

Press the applications key or shift + F10 to open the context menu. 

Now arrow up / down the list of items checking or unchecking what you want heard or not heard when invoking the, Jaws key + Pabe down, keystroke.  When finished just press escape and your changes will be saved.

Stay safe and take care.  Mike.

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, January 21, 2021 8:49 AM

On Thu, Jan 21, 2021 at 11:36 AM, Richard Turner wrote:
insert-numpad3 reads the status line.
-
I didn't think you could remove word count and page count from the status bar, but perhaps you can.  The zoom information is a part of the status bar as well, but it's at "the opposite end" from the page count and word count.

--

~ André Gide

On Thu, Jan 21, 2021 at 12:08 PM, Mike B wrote:
Yes, you can add or remove different items
-
Good to know, as I'd never tweaked these.

That being said, the steps you gave all the way up through getting the context menu expanded and checking/unchecking items in the status bar display list are all MS-Word native commands.

I say this because, in my opinion and experience, it is critical for any computer user to know "what controls what."  And the commands used to do this status bar tweaking work whether or not a screen reader is involved in any way.

Obviously, the JAWS+PageDown command is a screen reader command that is processed by the screen reader unless you were to use pass through, in which case it scrolls approximately half a page at a time (presuming JAWS=Insert, which I will) as a native Word command.
--

~ André Gide

Marie <magpie.mn@...>

Tom,
I was just poking some fun at you and apologize for my warped sense of humor.
Heaven knos how many times I have made a similar “OOPS” in a post.
Marie

Sent: Thursday, January 21, 2021 7:59 AM

Marie:

Sorry for the confusion.

Thank you!

Tom Behler

Hello.

Thank you!

Tom Behler