questions about Focus 40 Blue, JFW, and replacing USB cord

Brent Harding

I have been using my Focus 40 Blue a lot more now that I have started work recently. Before then, I would use it occasionally, and I used it for my previous job for proofreading and reading various things. At my current job, I have JFW 17, and lately, I discovered that dots 4, 5, and 6 on the last cell just don't come up so that Y's feel like K's, and so forth. Is there a way in JFW to tell it that it now only has 39 cells? Also, when I am in read-only edit boxes in our system at work where disclosures sometimes appear, I can't pan all the way through with the panning button like I can for the ones that appear in Internet Explorer. The left rocker switch thing will get it down to the next line, but knowing when I need a line down versus pan makes me have to sound like I'm stumbling, and customers hang up, silently as I might add, leaving me talking to myself unknowingly as my after call time ticks by. Is there an easy way in JFW to make it ding when the next pan will result in nothing so I know it's at the end of the print line, or JFW line, or whatever it goes by when the new line command is called for? Finally, the end of the USB cord that goes into the braille display is beginning to get a little bit of exposed wire, and I want to get a new one so I don't get caught out when the connection is broken enough to be unusable. Is it OK to just use a regular Micro to normal USB cable despite the manual's dire warnings about FCC compliance? FS's hours being Eastern instead of Central time means I would maybe have half an hour, tops, to deal with them before I have to leave in the morning, and they are closed within half an hour of when I officially get done, but completing the last call of the day largely eliminates that time.

Lee Maschmeyer

Hi Brent,

Taking your questions in more-or-less reverse order, you should be able to use any USB cable that fits, but the best thing to do is take the cable you have to the store so they can see exactly what you need.

For the panning, are you using Structured Mode? It's sometimes picky about letting you pan beyond the current line. Try switching to Line Mode and see if that helps or hurts.

In Settings Center in the Braille section you can tell Jaws which is the first cell of the line and which is the last, so you can tell it the last cell is 39. But if I were you I'd talk to FS about getting a loaner while you get your unit repaired. The worst they can do is say No.

The last I heard their hours of operation were quite long, specifically to deal with time zones; so I suspect you have a lot more time at your disposal than you think.

HTH,

--

Lee Maschmeyer

"Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise."
--Lewis Carroll

Shai

Hello Lee,
Where in the braille section of Settings Center can one find the cell
line length so that JAWS can be informed that the last cell would be
39? I was curious and searched there but did not find this setting.

On 3/24/16, Lee Maschmeyer <leemer1@comcast.net> wrote:
[...]

Hmm. I can't find it either. Perhaps it was in another Braille program (BRLTTY) which can be used in NVDA. But I don't have NVDA running so that's just a guess. Best thing to do is get the cotton pickin' display repaired. <grin>

--

Lee Maschmeyer

"Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise."
--Lewis Carroll

Lee Maschmeyer

WRT the dots that don't come up: If you're connecting via USB try disconnecting for at least half a minute, with the display turned off. Then plug it in again and if you're excruciatingly lucky they might work.

--

Lee Maschmeyer

"Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise."
--Lewis Carroll

Bill White <billwhite92701@...>

What does WRT mean?
Bill White billwhite92701@dslextreme.com