moderated JAWS and Blackboard follow-up

Adrian Spratt

I’ve long since graduated from university. However, as an alum of two places, I’ve gone straight to the web designers when encountering problems on their websites. In my experience, they tend to be interested in solving accessibility issues. So two thoughts. First, if you can determine the people who design your university website, try them. Second, if you happen to know an alum who would respect the difficulty you’re having, maybe ask them to intervene on your behalf. Universities tend to respond to alum concerns because any money they give them is given purely voluntarily.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of HH. Smith Jr.
Sent: Wednesday, January 20, 2021 7:46 PM
To: jfw@groups.io
Subject: JAWS and Blackboard follow-up

In speaking with disabilities services at my university, I was told to refer all my accessibility issues directly with Blackboard. She told complaining to the university is not getting any where. They need to be bombarded with complaints from the actual users. The complaint ticket that I submitted months ago through the university fizzled. Another ticket was opened again recently at my university by another student, but I am sure that will fizzle also. Single complaints from a school here, a school there is not currently working. Some how a conglomerate effort to get them to change their platform or revert it back to the pre-summer build is what needs to happen.

Kelly Pierce

First, disability student services offices provide services. They do
not make software decisions for a university nor do they respond to
civil rights complaints. You need to file a written complaint of
disability discrimination with the university office that handles such
complaints. The university needs to find a means of effective
communication that enables you to have the same level of access to the
information other students have, weather Blackboard is recoded or
other measures are taken. I will not go into the legal technicalities
here. If you have not joined the National Federation of the Blind,
they will welcome your membership and be happy to help with your
situation. I am an NFB member in Illinois and we regularly receive
situations like this.

Kelly

On 1/20/21, Richard Turner <richardturner42@outlook.com> wrote:
Have you considered contacting the American Council of the Blind and the
National Federation of the Blind to get help pressuring them to fix the
issues? Also, filing an ADA complaint?
Since universities usually receive federal funds, they are supposed to make
sure all services are accessible.
I'd even consider contacting your Congress representatives and senators. If
anyone of them would just contact Blackboard, that might be enough to get
them moving.

Richard

"You know," said Arthur, "it's at times like this, when I'm trapped in a
Vogon airlock with a man from Betelgeuse, and about to die of asphyxiation
in deep space, that I really wish I'd listened to what my mother told me
when I was young."
"Why, what did she tell you?"
"I don't know, I didn't listen."

On Jan 20, 2021, at 4:45 PM, HH. Smith Jr. <josham129@gmail.com> wrote:

In speaking with disabilities services at my university, I was told to refer
all my accessibility issues directly with Blackboard. She told complaining
to the university is not getting any where. They need to be bombarded with
complaints from the actual users. The complaint ticket that I submitted
months ago through the university fizzled. Another ticket was opened again
recently at my university by another student, but I am sure that will fizzle
also. Single complaints from a school here, a school there is not currently
working. Some how a conglomerate effort to get them to change their platform
or revert it back to the pre-summer build is what needs to happen.

Richard Turner

On Jan 20, 2021, at 4:45 PM, HH. Smith Jr. <josham129@...> wrote:

In speaking with disabilities services at my university, I was told to refer all my accessibility issues directly with Blackboard. She told complaining to the university is not getting any where. They need to be bombarded with complaints from the actual users. The complaint ticket that I submitted months ago through the university fizzled. Another ticket was opened again recently at my university by another student, but I am sure that will fizzle also. Single complaints from a school here, a school there is not currently working. Some how a conglomerate effort to get them to change their platform or revert it back to the pre-summer build is what needs to happen.

HH. Smith Jr.