moderated I can't get jaws 19 or 20 to install.

Jim Rawls

Hi all, I am running windows tem and have jaws 18 on the computer. I tried installing 19 and20 from the internet, and also tried the off line installers for both and got nowhere. The installer would fail at 50%. Any ideas on how to fix this? Jim

Randy Meyer

Jim:

Working with Freedom Scientific tech support, I recently got JAWS 2021 to install on my ElBraille, after having a similar problem.

Are you getting a Microsoft Visual C++ error?

This is the error I was getting.  After providing a few different log files to Freedom Scientific, as well as using speech history to provide them with the Visual C++ error, they provided me with instructions to fix Microsoft Visual C++, which was the real problem preventing the Jaws 2021 install.

I don’t know if this is the same issue you are having, or if the solution that worked for me would work for your 2020 and 2019 JAWS install problems.

Feel free to reference my name and my similar issue when talking Freedom Scientific tech support.

Randy Meyer

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Jim Rawls
Sent: Tuesday, January 19, 2021 5:43 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: I can't get jaws 19 or 20 to install.

Hi all, I am running windows tem and have jaws 18 on the computer. I tried installing 19 and20 from the internet, and also tried the off line installers for both and got nowhere. The installer would fail at 50%. Any ideas on how to fix this? Jim

Jim Rawls

Thanks Randy, will check.

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Randy Meyer
Sent: Tuesday, January 19, 2021 3:56 PM
Subject: Re: I can't get jaws 19 or 20 to install.

Jim:

Working with Freedom Scientific tech support, I recently got JAWS 2021 to install on my ElBraille, after having a similar problem.

This is the error I was getting.  After providing a few different log files to Freedom Scientific, as well as using speech history to provide them with the Visual C++ error, they provided me with instructions to fix Microsoft Visual C++, which was the real problem preventing the Jaws 2021 install.

I don’t know if this is the same issue you are having, or if the solution that worked for me would work for your 2020 and 2019 JAWS install problems.

Feel free to reference my name and my similar issue when talking Freedom Scientific tech support.

Randy Meyer

Randy Meyer

The Visual C++ error is in a different window.  Try tabbing around before closing the JAWS install.  Once my install hit 50 percent, the error was sitting in another window.

Randy Meyer

Sent: Tuesday, January 19, 2021 6:00 PM

Thanks Randy, will check.

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Randy Meyer
Sent: Tuesday, January 19, 2021 3:56 PM

Jim:

Randy Meyer

Chip Hailey <chiphailey52@...>

Hi Jim,

Did you try the following:

Go to change user account control settings by pressing the windows key and typing “user account” and pressing enter

Tab over to notification level and down arrow to 0

Alt F4 from the user account control settings and you should be able to finish installing JAWS

Chip

Joseph Hudson

You might as well go ahead and just get 21.

On Jan 19, 2021, at 5:43 PM, Jim Rawls <jazzpiano@ca.rr.com> wrote:

Orlando Enrique Fiol

At 06:43 PM 1/19/2021, Jim Rawls wrote:
I am running windows tem and have jaws 18 on the computer. I tried
installing 19 and 20 from the Internet, and also tried the off line
installers for both and got nowhere. The installer would fail at 50%. Any
ideas on how to fix this?

I've encountered this problem with every JAWS build since 2018. The simplest solution to try first is to use Apps and Features or CCleaner to remove all Freedom Scientific components. If that doesn't work, download Microsoft's Program Install and Uninstall Troubleshooter. This is a utility that attempts to uninstall applications by removing their registry entries. Once you run the utility, select Advanced mode, leave the box checked to run in administrator mode, press enter, select Uninstall, wait for the list of applications to populate and use first-letter navigation to select the first of a dozen Freedom Scientific components. Tab to Try Uninstall and wait a few minutes. Once the component has been removed, the utility will prompt you to close it. Sadly, there's no way to select multiple applications/components or to continue using the same instance of this utility, so you must repeat the entire process for each component. Some of the Freedom Scientific components will require a reboot, but you can uninstall them all, then reboot once at the end.
Once all those components have been removed, navigate in the control panel to Add/Remove programs and remove all instances of the Microsoft C++Redistributable components. There will be components by year, sometimes going back as far as 2008. Microsoft also makes a command-line utility that uninstalls and reinstalls them all. This is apparently necessary because when JAWS installs, it also installs these components, so they must be gone before the JAWS install starts, else it will fail.
Hopefully, these solutions have worked; attempt to reinstall JAWS after removing each set of components. But, the ultimate solution is not pretty. First, manually delete all Freedom Scientific directories from Program Files, Program files (X86) and Program Data. Then, open Regedit and search for Freedom Scientific or JAWS. Delete all the registry keys. After that, Regedit will keep searching the registry for a long time, but don't be discouraged. You will then begin to see other Freedom Scientific entries. Some will appear in the value pane. When they do, shift+tab to the tree view and remove their corresponding keys.
All this is necessary because JAWS often does not install or uninstall properly, so it can't be reinstalled.
Orlando Enrique Fiol
Charlotte, North Carolina
Professional Pianist/Keyboardist, Percussionist and Pedagogue
Ph.D. in Music theory
University of Pennsylvania: November, 2018
Home: (980) 585-1516
Mobile: (267) 971-7090