moderated How to Read eBook Borrowed from OverDrive with Jaws

Ed Culpepper

Greetings –

I have recently discovered the Overdrive app for borrowing and downloading ebooks from the DMZ library. I found that many books can be borrowed in Kindle format and easily read with the Kindle app. Some ebooks are not available in Kindle format, however. Those ebooks can be downloaded for reading offline. I have searched for instructions for using the OverDrive app or other ebookk readers but have not found how to read a downloaded ebook from OverDrive with Jaws. I have the Thorium ebook reader installed on my Windows 10 computer and have read other ebooks with Thorium and Jaws, but I cannot get an ebook from OverDrive to import into the Thorium bookshelf from my Downloads file in order to read the ebook.

Any OverDrive users among the JFW population? Can you help with instructions for reading an ebook either with the OverDrive Read app, another ebook reader (or, best of all, Thorium), or some other solution? Your assistance is highly appreciated – in advance. Jerry Seinfeld’s new book is awaiting your help….

Many thanks – Ed Culpepper

Using latest versions of Windows 10, Jaws 2021

J Edward Culpepper, PhD

Huntsville, Alabama

Lino Morales <linomorales001@...>

I don't believe you can. Only the use of the app on iOS and Android. Check Overdrive's website and look their.

On 1/14/2021 3:12 PM, Ed Culpepper wrote:

[...]

Sorry … I failed to mention that I have searched the OverDrive site Help and Google for assistance. The instructions at OverDrive do not seem to work with Jaws. Some of the pages are not very accessible, also. I have not located how to contact OverDrive directly for accessibility questions.

Ed Culpepper

J Edward Culpepper, PhD

Huntsville, Alabama

Richard Turner

I had the impression that their eBooks were not accessible.

Only the audio books.

I’ve never tried to use it on a computer, so maybe something is different now.

If you get one loaded, you might try using Jaws OCR.

Richard

My web site, www.turner42.com

Sorry … I failed to mention that I have searched the OverDrive site Help and Google for assistance. The instructions at OverDrive do not seem to work with Jaws. Some of the pages are not very accessible, also. I have not located how to contact OverDrive directly for accessibility questions.

Ed Culpepper

J Edward Culpepper, PhD

Huntsville, Alabama

tina sohl

I haven't found them to be. I set my overdrive eBooks to only be in
kindle so that I can read them on any of my devices.

On 1/14/21, Richard Turner <richardturner42@outlook.com> wrote:
I had the impression that their eBooks were not accessible.
Only the audio books.
I've never tried to use it on a computer, so maybe something is different
now.
If you get one loaded, you might try using Jaws OCR.

Richard

Ralph's Observation: It is a mistake to allow any mechanical object<>to
realize that you are in a hurry.

My web site, www.turner42.com<http://www.turner42.com>

Sorry ... I failed to mention that I have searched the OverDrive site Help
and Google for assistance. The instructions at OverDrive do not seem to work
with Jaws. Some of the pages are not very accessible, also. I have not
located how to contact OverDrive directly for accessibility questions.
Ed Culpepper

J Edward Culpepper, PhD
Huntsville, Alabama

Cristóbal

I've always downloaded the Adobe ePub version and then imported into Voice Dream.

Cristóbal

Sorry ... I failed to mention that I have searched the OverDrive site
Help and Google for assistance. The instructions at OverDrive do not
seem to work with Jaws. Some of the pages are not very accessible,
also. I have not located how to contact OverDrive directly for accessibility questions.
Ed Culpepper

J Edward Culpepper, PhD
Huntsville, Alabama

Cristóbal

To add, reading them in QRead is also no issue for me.

Cristóbal

I've always downloaded the Adobe ePub version and then imported into Voice Dream.

Cristóbal

Sorry ... I failed to mention that I have searched the OverDrive site
Help and Google for assistance. The instructions at OverDrive do not
seem to work with Jaws. Some of the pages are not very accessible,
also. I have not located how to contact OverDrive directly for accessibility questions.
Ed Culpepper

J Edward Culpepper, PhD
Huntsville, Alabama

Richard Turner

That is great to know.
I didn't realize that the adobe ePub version wasn't DRM protected.
I may have to revisit that the next time I cannot find a book on Bookshare.

[...]

https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.tu
rner42.com%2F&amp;data=04%7C01%7C%7C160637443dd54cdaf44808d8b97e1c9a%7
C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C637463298578046521%7CUnkno
wn%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiL
CJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C1000&amp;sdata=O5RGJ1vUdgG488dsXGI8iX6pmiNVsKvzTdfcBiD
V6jE%3D&amp;reserved=0<https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?
url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.turner42.com%2F&amp;data=04%7C01%7C%7C160637443dd
54cdaf44808d8b97e1c9a%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C637
463298578056521%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2
luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C1000&amp;sdata=Gp6TDFupg8AhqtvX
fcYq3TMpckNJfIoYrLZdy%2FpRnkk%3D&amp;reserved=0>

Sorry ... I failed to mention that I have searched the OverDrive site
Help and Google for assistance. The instructions at OverDrive do not
seem to work with Jaws. Some of the pages are not very accessible,
also. I have not located how to contact OverDrive directly for accessibility questions.
Ed Culpepper

J Edward Culpepper, PhD
Huntsville, Alabama

Cristóbal

I haven't done it in a minute so can't recall at the moment, but if there is
a DRM, there's always Codex to take care of that. Otherwise, they're just
like any other eBook.
I belong to 8 or 9 library systems. Overdrive's the best.
Cristóbal