moderated Easiest way to add headings to Word doc?

Van Lant, Robin

Hi,

I have a long JAWS help file where I keep my notes on using JAWS with various software.  What is the easiest way to add headings so that I can turn on quick keys and navigate this large document with level 1 and level 2 headings?  The style task pane seemed a bit intimidating.  I can go back to my Window Eyes and Word 2010 book from Cathie Ann to see if she covers the topic more thoroughly, but hoping someone can answer for this simple aspect. Using JAWS 2021 and Word 2016.  I really need a better way to find topics in this document, over the way I’ve been doing it.

Robin Van Lant, Sr. Program Manager - Sales Enablement

Key Equipment Finance & Key Institutional Bank

720-304-1060

127 Public Square, Cleveland, OH 44114

Russell Solowoniuk

Hi Robin,

The easiest way to create headings, is to press alt  control number one for heading level one, Alt  control number two for heading level two, and alt control three for heading level three. I don’t think it’ll work for headings above that heading level III, but I’m not too sure about that. Also you may have to select the text that you want to make a heading for, but again I’m not sure about that. It may work if you’re just on the line where you want the heading.

Hope this helps,

Russell

On Jan 11, 2021, at 5:09 PM, Van Lant, Robin via groups.io <Robin_Van_Lant@...> wrote:

Hi,

I have a long JAWS help file where I keep my notes on using JAWS with various software.  What is the easiest way to add headings so that I can turn on quick keys and navigate this large document with level 1 and level 2 headings?  The style task pane seemed a bit intimidating.  I can go back to my Window Eyes and Word 2010 book from Cathie Ann to see if she covers the topic more thoroughly, but hoping someone can answer for this simple aspect. Using JAWS 2021 and Word 2016.  I really need a better way to find topics in this document, over the way I’ve been doing it.

Robin Van Lant, Sr. Program Manager - Sales Enablement

Key Equipment Finance & Key Institutional Bank

720-304-1060

127 Public Square, Cleveland, OH 44114

Richard Turner

You definitely should select the text you want as part of the heaging. I select the text and press control+shift+S and arrow down to heading level 1, or 2 and hit enter. I'll have to try the control+alt+1 etc next time.

Richard

"Why, what did she tell you?"
"I don't know, I didn't listen."

On Jan 11, 2021, at 4:23 PM, Russell Solowoniuk <rsolowoniuk@...> wrote:

[...]

Ann Byrne

Select the header line and press alt-ctrl-1 for heading1, alt-ctrl--2 for heading2, and so on.
\At 06:09 PM 1/11/2021, you wrote:

Hi,
I have a long JAWS help file where I keep my notes on using JAWS with various software. What is the easiest way to add headings so that I can turn on quick keys and navigate this large document with level 1 and level 2 headings? The style task pane seemed a bit intimidating. I can go back to my Window Eyes and Word 2010 book from Cathie Ann to see if she covers the topic more thoroughly, but hoping someone can answer for this simple aspect. Using JAWS 2021 and Word 2016. I really need a better way to find topics in this document, over the way I've been doing it.

Robin Van Lant, Sr. Program Manager - Sales Enablement
<http://www.keyequipmentfinance.com/>Key Equipment Finance & Key Institutional Bank
720-304-1060

The sender of this communication is a licensed securities representative employed by or associated with KeyBanc Capital Markets Inc. Member FINRA/SIPC and may also represent KeyBank National Association ("KeyBank N.A."). Securities products and services are offered by KeyBanc Capital Markets Inc. Banking products and services are offered by KeyBank N.A.

127 Public Square, Cleveland, OH 44114

If you prefer not to receive future e-mail offers for products or services from Key send an e-mail to DNERequests@key.com with 'No Promotional E-mails' in the SUBJECT line.

CJ &AA MAY

Could someone remind me please how do disable headings in a Word document?
Alison

\At 06:09 PM 1/11/2021, you wrote:
Hi,
I have a long JAWS help file where I keep my notes on using JAWS with
various software. What is the easiest way to add headings so that I
can turn on quick keys and navigate this large document with level 1
and level 2 headings? The style task pane seemed a bit intimidating.
I can go back to my Window Eyes and Word 2010 book from Cathie Ann to
see if she covers the topic more thoroughly, but hoping someone can
answer for this simple aspect. Using JAWS 2021 and Word 2016. I really
need a better way to find topics in this document, over the way I've
been doing it.

Robin Van Lant, Sr. Program Manager - Sales Enablement
<http://www.keyequipmentfinance.com/>Key Equipment Finance & Key
Institutional Bank
720-304-1060

information. It is intended solely for the use of the addressee. No
confidentiality or privilege is waived or lost as a result of any
transmission errors. If you are not the intended recipient, you are
strictly prohibited from disclosing, copying, distributing or using any
of this information. If you have received this communication in error,
please contact the sender immediately and destroy the material in its
entirety, whether electronic or hard copy.

This communication is for informational purposes only, is not an offer,
solicitation, recommendation or commitment for any transaction or to
buy or sell any security or other financial product, and is not
intended as investment advice or as a confirmation of any transaction.
Any market price, indicative value, estimate, view, opinion, data or
other information herein is not warranted as to completeness or
accuracy, is subject to change without notice, and KeyBanc Capital
Markets Inc. accepts no liability for its use or to update or keep it
current. Any views or opinions are those of the individual sender, not
necessarily of KeyBanc Capital Markets Inc.

The sender of this communication is a licensed securities
representative employed by or associated with KeyBanc Capital Markets
Inc. Member FINRA/SIPC and may also represent KeyBank National
Association ("KeyBank N.A."). Securities products and services are
offered by KeyBanc Capital Markets Inc. Banking products and services
are offered by KeyBank N.A.

127 Public Square, Cleveland, OH 44114

services from Key send an e-mail to DNERequests@key.com with 'No
Promotional E-mails' in the SUBJECT line.

Leo

Hi, if by disabling headings you mean to reverse any change that you could
have make to a header line, and going back to the normal style, the
keystroke you're looking for is control plus shift plus n. At least, this is
the combination that works for me in Word 2019, of course, you have to
select the header line first.

Leo

\At 06:09 PM 1/11/2021, you wrote:
[...]

Thank you, Leo, yes, indeed this is what I wanted to know. If I selected a
whole document which contained headers, would this remove them all?
Alison

\At 06:09 PM 1/11/2021, you wrote:
[...]

It should remove them all if the whole document is selected. However, rather than think of it as removing, think of it as changing the format.
Control+shift+n sets the "normal" format style, while control+1, 2, or 3, sets the heading style at those levels.
HTH,

Richard

Ralph's Observation: It is a mistake to allow any mechanical object<>to realize that you are in a hurry.

My web site, www.turner42.com

\At 06:09 PM 1/11/2021, you wrote:
Hi,
I have a long JAWS help file where I keep my notes on using JAWS with
various software. What is the easiest way to add headings so that I
can turn on quick keys and navigate this large document with level 1
and level 2 headings? The style task pane seemed a bit intimidating.
I can go back to my Window Eyes and Word 2010 book from Cathie Ann to
see if she covers the topic more thoroughly, but hoping someone can
answer for this simple aspect. Using JAWS 2021 and Word 2016. I really
need a better way to find topics in this document, over the way I've
been doing it.

Robin Van Lant, Sr. Program Manager - Sales Enablement
<https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ke
yequipmentfinance.com%2F&amp;data=04%7C01%7C%7C7793d9ee3d3a494304e308d8
b6f4a194%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C63746050908279037
7%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6I
k1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C1000&amp;sdata=8Eh5BEfV1RE68TWq8uDBqZn2gowQFZ%2
FEQMgar3%2Bw6UA%3D&amp;reserved=0>Key Equipment Finance & Key
[...]

Ashleigh Piccinino

Press CTRL alt and whatever number you want. For example, 1 for heading 1 text and 2 for heading 2 text. You can press the above hotkey either before or after typing your text. Just know that after you type text you want in heading xxx, you have to of course select it before pressing above hotkey.

On Jan 11, 2021, at 6:09 PM, Van Lant, Robin via groups.io <Robin_Van_Lant@...> wrote:

Hi,

I have a long JAWS help file where I keep my notes on using JAWS with various software.  What is the easiest way to add headings so that I can turn on quick keys and navigate this large document with level 1 and level 2 headings?  The style task pane seemed a bit intimidating.  I can go back to my Window Eyes and Word 2010 book from Cathie Ann to see if she covers the topic more thoroughly, but hoping someone can answer for this simple aspect. Using JAWS 2021 and Word 2016.  I really need a better way to find topics in this document, over the way I’ve been doing it.

Robin Van Lant, Sr. Program Manager - Sales Enablement

Key Equipment Finance & Key Institutional Bank

720-304-1060

127 Public Square, Cleveland, OH 44114

Van Lant, Robin

Thank you all.  The Control alt 1 method works well.  I think the thing that frustrated me about the Styles options is that it uses different fonts than I might want and the style options felt overwhelming because they are telling you all the fonts and formatting for each type of heading.  I tend to use Arial or Calibri fonts and even using the Control Alt 1 method changes the font for the heading to Cambria.  Even though this document is just for me, if I use headings in another document for work, I want to be aware of the font changes.  I did find that, after I do a heading, I can change the font back to my standard font and the heading marking still sticks.  I suppose I should take the time and tips from one of the listers to create my own style selection that uses my preferred fonts, but that is more than I want to bite of today when I’m simply trying to tag something for quick key navigation.

[...]

Just wanted to report back that I’m loving this quick way of adding headings to Word documents.  I took the time to create my own way I want the fonts to appear or each of them and now I’m finding using for this in other documents.  Such a great way to quickly jump around in larger documents.

[...]

Hi, I don’t know if you have already done what I’m going to suggest, but after  adding headings to my word documents,

I usually create a table content in the first page, in this way, whenever I open my document, I can jump to a specific topic quicker than you can say Jack Robinson!

Best,

     Leo Bado.

[...]

Bill White

Hi, Leo. Could you please outline exactly what you do to create the table of content in your Word documents, so I can duplicate the first page table of topics you generate?

Thank you.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

[...]

Leo,

Is that done with the Word feature for creating a Table of Contents?  I havent’ used that in decades, but could look at it.

[...]

Hello, I’m sorry for not getting back to you so soon guys

Well, inserting a table content is quite easy indeed. After you have added all the headings you want,

Go to the first page of the document, you can insert a page break if you have already written something onto that page. I always

Do it just to be sure that my table of contents  always will be on the first page when I push control plus home. Anyway, when you’re in the first page of the document, press alt to focus the cursor on the upper ribbons, then arrow right or left to references, and press space bar to open this tab. By default, you will be on the option called table of contents, so press space bar again and using down arrow choose automatic table, then hit enter, and your table  should be inserted.

Best,

     Leo Bado.

[...]

mike mcglashon

Thank you much for these instructions;

However,

I noticed something,

When creating the built-in table 1,

It only goes three headings deep;

My document has some headings that are 4 or 5 levels deep;

3-5(a)(1)(A)

For example.

How do I get the table of contents to recognize headings deeper than level 3?

Please advise as you like.

Mike M.

Mike mcglashon

Email: Michael.mcglashon@...

[...]

HH. Smith Jr.

Hi,

Go to references

Right arrow on table of content submenu

Hit enter on table of content drop down button

Arrow down to custom table of content… and hit enter

Ddialog box opens, tab to level display and make your choice then tab to ok.

You’re done!

[...]

Hmm, I didn’t know that since I had never required to do so, but it’s good to know. I will try it later. Thanks for the tidbit.

Best,

     Leo Bado.