moderated laptop question

Madison Martin

Hi all,
I've had this laptop since March, and I notice that the fan seems to run a lot,
which I assume means that the laptop gets overheated, any idea why this might be
happening? I'm running Windows 10 2004, the latest Jaws 2021, and office 365. My
laptop is a Lenovo think book 13s 20r9005vus

Look forward to any thoughts or help anyone can provide!!!
Madison

Randy Barnett

It doesn't mean it is overheating. It means that the CPU is working on something and it needs the fan to maintain proper temperature.

On 1/11/2021 2:51 PM, Madison Martin wrote:
Hi all,
I've had this laptop since March, and I notice that the fan seems to run a lot,
which I assume means that the laptop gets overheated, any idea why this might be
happening? I'm running Windows 10 2004, the latest Jaws 2021, and office 365. My
laptop is a Lenovo think book 13s 20r9005vus

Look forward to any thoughts or help anyone can provide!!!
Madison

Pat Byrne

Madison,
If you don't experience any problem aside from the fan running a lot, perhaps that is just the way that computer works. Possibly, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Good luck.
Pat ByrneAt 04:51 PM 1/11/2021, you wrote:

Hi all,
I've had this laptop since March, and I notice that the fan seems to run a lot,
which I assume means that the laptop gets overheated, any idea why this might be
happening? I'm running Windows 10 2004, the latest Jaws 2021, and office 365. My
laptop is a Lenovo think book 13s 20r9005vus

Look forward to any thoughts or help anyone can provide!!!
Madison

Chris Hill

Depending on the computer, it is likely normal.  The smaller they are, the harder they are to cool.

On 1/11/2021 17:02, Pat Byrne wrote:
Madison,
If you don't experience any problem aside from the fan running a lot, perhaps that is just the way that computer works.  Possibly, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Good luck.
Pat ByrneAt 04:51 PM 1/11/2021, you wrote:
Hi all,
I've had this laptop since March, and I notice that the fan seems to run a lot,
which I assume means that the laptop gets overheated, any idea why this might be
happening? I'm running Windows 10 2004, the latest Jaws 2021, and office 365. My
laptop is a Lenovo think book 13s 20r9005vus

Look forward to any thoughts or help anyone can provide!!!
Madison

Glenn / Lenny

Hi Madison,
I had a friend who had this trouble, and I suspected that he had a virus on
his computer, because I had him boot to a live version of Linux on a thumb
drive, and it did not do that.
He reinstalled Windows and it did not do it again for a while, but he later
had the trouble again.
He eventually gave me the laptop to keep and I upgraded the OS and also
dual-boot to Linux on it, and it has been a good computer for me.
I think he was getting a computer virus that caused his anti-virus program
to run constantly, thus over-working his computer's processor, which made it
heat up and then the fan would run too hard.
If you got the computer new in March, then the fan probably isn't dirty, but
if you got it used, you might need to open the bottom near the fan and blow
it out.
Glenn

I've had this laptop since March, and I notice that the fan seems to run a lot,
which I assume means that the laptop gets overheated, any idea why this might be
happening? I'm running Windows 10 2004, the latest Jaws 2021, and office 365. My
laptop is a Lenovo think book 13s 20r9005vus

Look forward to any thoughts or help anyone can provide!!!
Madison

Glenn / Lenny

Well booting to Linux is a good test.
If it runs nice in Linux, then you know that it is software related.
Glenn

I've had this laptop since March, and I notice that the fan seems to run a
lot,
which I assume means that the laptop gets overheated, any idea why this
might be
happening? I'm running Windows 10 2004, the latest Jaws 2021, and office
365. My
laptop is a Lenovo think book 13s 20r9005vus

Look forward to any thoughts or help anyone can provide!!!
Madison

Madison Martin

I don't have Linix though.

If it runs nice in Linux, then you know that it is software related.
Glenn
I've had this laptop since March, and I notice that the fan seems to run a
lot,
which I assume means that the laptop gets overheated, any idea why this
might be
happening? I'm running Windows 10 2004, the latest Jaws 2021, and office
365. My
laptop is a Lenovo think book 13s 20r9005vus

Look forward to any thoughts or help anyone can provide!!!
Madison

Glenn / Lenny

All it takes is downloading an ISO and burning it to DVD and booting to
that.
Here's a link if you want to try:
https://od.lk/d/N18xNzY0NDc2Mjlf/ubuntu-mate-18.04.2-desktop-i386.iso
After it boots, use alt + windows + S to bring up the screenreader.
Otherwise, boot to WinPe and see if the fan also does not run hard, here's a
link, and also, like the Linux, burn it to a DVD and then reboot to it.
https://od.lk/d/N18xNjQyNDQ4Njdf/Win7PE-x86.ISO
Glenn

If it runs nice in Linux, then you know that it is software related.
Glenn
I've had this laptop since March, and I notice that the fan seems to run a
lot,
which I assume means that the laptop gets overheated, any idea why this
might be
happening? I'm running Windows 10 2004, the latest Jaws 2021, and office
365. My
laptop is a Lenovo think book 13s 20r9005vus

Look forward to any thoughts or help anyone can provide!!!
Madison

Madison Martin

I don't know how to burn stuff.

If it runs nice in Linux, then you know that it is software related.
Glenn
I've had this laptop since March, and I notice that the fan seems to run a
lot,
which I assume means that the laptop gets overheated, any idea why this
might be
happening? I'm running Windows 10 2004, the latest Jaws 2021, and office
365. My
laptop is a Lenovo think book 13s 20r9005vus

Look forward to any thoughts or help anyone can provide!!!
Madison

I almost never use actual DVD anymore, far preferring USB instead, and I haven't seen a system that won't allow booting from USB in quite a while now.

Although the instructions are for Doing a Completely Clean (Re)install of Windows 10 Using Media Creation Tool to Fetch the Win10 ISO File, downloading an ISO is just downloading, and Rufus can be used to burn any ISO file to USB media, not just the Windows 10 ISO file.  You can just follow the instructions regarding using Rufus after you have the Linux ISO file you wish to have burned to bootable media.

           ~ André Gide

Glenn / Lenny

I never burn DVDs any more either, but for simplicity sake, I suggested the DVD, because IMO, if someone cannot burn a DVD, then they likely would have more trouble writing a USB image.
Glenn

On Mon, Jan 11, 2021 at 09:25 PM, Glenn / Lenny wrote:
IMO, if someone cannot burn a DVD, then they likely would have more trouble writing a USB image.
-
Then we'll have to agree to disagree.  I've had far more issues with burning to optical media over the years.  And it's no more complex to burn to USB if you follow a decent set of step-by-step instructions, which mine are, if I do say so myself.

           ~ André Gide

Glenn / Lenny

Well since windows 7, people only need to put in a blank DVD and use the applications key while on the file, and go to burn ISO, or however it's worded.
But clearly some folks have trouble with even that, and I didn't feel like writing out my usual information, I prefer using Universal USB Installer myself.
But I'm sure it is appreciated by many that you have all the steps written out for those who wish to learn them.
Glenn

On Mon, Jan 11, 2021 at 09:33 PM, Glenn / Lenny wrote:
Well since windows 7, people only need to put in a blank DVD and use the applications key while on the file, and go to burn ISO
-
The issue being that there are way, way, way more actual burn errors with optical media, which is my central point.  I have had certain machines where it was a 50/50 shot for any CD/DVD being burned whether it would ultimately work.  I have not had that experience, ever, with USB media.

Neither way is right or wrong.  I just prefer what's been, in my experience, more reliable and where the media used can be reused a virtually unlimited number of times and is way easier to carry around.  When you add the fact that many newer laptops don't even have an optical drive . . .

           ~ André Gide

muhammadBilal Arshad

Madison, I also had this issue in the past.
On my machine, Microsoft smartscreen was causing the issue.
During my testing it was revealed that smartscreen using more than 80%
of CPU, of course when cpu was suppose to be idle.
As cpu always on work, so be the fan to cool it down.
I didn't remember how, but I managed to remove this file from my
machine, and problem went away!
You, first of all check the cpu usage by app by going into task
manager (ctrl+shift+esc).
If this is your first time into task manager, than press tab a few
times and press the spacebar on more details button.
After this press the 's' to move to the apps starting wiht s. And
check whether smartscreen is there or not.
If there, check its cpu usage.
And if indeed it causing the problem, than google how to remove this file.
Hope it might help.

On Mon, Jan 11, 2021 at 09:33 PM, Glenn / Lenny wrote:

Well since windows 7, people only need to put in a blank DVD and use the
applications key while on the file, and go to burn ISO
-
The issue being that there are way, way, way more actual burn errors with
optical media, which is my central point.  I have had certain machines where
it was a 50/50 shot for any CD/DVD being burned whether it would ultimately
work.  I have not had that experience, ever, with USB media.

Neither way is right or wrong.  I just prefer what's been, in my experience,
more reliable and where the media used can be reused a virtually unlimited
number of times and is way easier to carry around.  When you add the fact
that many newer laptops don't even have an optical drive . . .

*One does not discover new lands without consenting to lose sight of the
shore for a very long time.*

~ André Gide

Madison Martin

Smart Screen isn't there, but there a whole bunch of things that I never even knew I had on my computer, but they're background apps, so I assume that they're supposed to be there and running right?

On Tue, Jan 12, 2021 at 11:51 AM, Madison Martin wrote:
but they're background apps, so I assume that they're supposed to be there and running right?
-
There are literally hundreds of background processes that run under Windows 10 or any operating system, for that matter.

It is impossible to say whether anything you have there "shouldn't be there" without a far more detailed analysis.

           ~ André Gide