From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Adrian Spratt
Sent: Friday, January 1, 2021 10:52 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Please help with WinWord error...is it JAWS?

Shirley and all,

A week or two ago, my sighted wife happened to be alongside me when I restarted my computer. It was taking a long time. She saw a message saying that Office 2016 was being updated. JAWS did not verbalize it.

I set Office updates to automatic a long time ago. I was going to suggest making that change so that it happens during the restart process. However, that option isn't showing up anymore in my file menus. Here's the best I can offer, based on what I could figure out just now:

While in Word, press alt-f.
Arrow up to "More options." Press enter.
Arrow up to Account. Start tabbing.
The update button should appear. Press spacebar and tab through the options.

I hope this gets you somewhere.

At 09:19 AM 1/1/2021, you wrote:

[...]

.

Mario

this may seem obvious, but may I add, using Power Shell is much more capable than Command Prompt.

-
I am going to give the very short answer:  Both are command line
interfaces (CLIs) included with Windows.

Command Prompt is the successor of what those of us old enough to be
familiar with DOS knew as DOS.

PowerShell is a much newer CLI with a very different command syntax, but
where a number of "classic" commands are aliased so that they can be
used in their familiar format with PowerShell.

*One does not discover new lands without consenting to lose sight of the
shore for a very long time.*

~ André Gide

Adrian Spratt

Thanks, Mario. This workaround does the trick. In Edge, I need to add to your two steps an additional two presses of F6. Meanwhile, I'll keep looking for a solution.

On Sat, Jan 2, 2021 at 11:57 AM, Mario wrote:
but may I add, using Power Shell is much more capable than Command Prompt.
-
That depends entirely on what it is you're trying to do.  There are many things where I still strongly prefer Command Prompt to PowerShell because, to my mind, the syntax is cleaner and easier.  Tool to task.

But there are definitely a lot of things that PowerShell is much better for, but they're also not things that most typical users will ever need to do.

           ~ André Gide