moderated Keeping the subject line up to date. "version questions"

Marie <magpie.mn@...>

brian, while I understand your statement, it is only courtesy to change the subject when necessary. It is more than irritating to find that you have deleted a thread which later contains information you would like to see but have missed because someone is too lazy to use a proper subject.

From: Brian Vogel
Sent: Tuesday, December 29, 2020 4:51 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Keeping the subject line up to date. "version questions"

Tim,

         While I agree with you, entirely, that it's best practice to split a topic off, with a new title, when the actual topic of conversation changes, there are times where thread drift occurs like it did here.  If you realize that you are no longer interested in a given topic with a specific title, remember that you can use the Mute this topic link at the end of any message you've already received for that topic and you will receive no more.

          If you find the actual volume of email from any given Groups.io group to be overwhelming, you can also set up topic preview, where you would only receive the first message in any new topic, and receive no more unless you activate the Follow this topic link in the first one.  See: Controlling the Messages You Receive via E-Mail from Groups.io (docx file)
--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 20H2, Build 19042

           ~ André Gide

Scott Pearl

Brian,

Wow, this is good advice on managing these prolific emails. I must say that I have immensely appreciated your overall knowledge and contributions on this list and other lists as I usually pay close attention to finding your posts as they are extremely helpful. You’re doing a lot of good.

         While I agree with you, entirely, that it's best practice to split a topic off, with a new title, when the actual topic of conversation changes, there are times where thread drift occurs like it did here.  If you realize that you are no longer interested in a given topic with a specific title, remember that you can use the Mute this topic link at the end of any message you've already received for that topic and you will receive no more.

          If you find the actual volume of email from any given Groups.io group to be overwhelming, you can also set up topic preview, where you would only receive the first message in any new topic, and receive no more unless you activate the Follow this topic link in the first one.  See: Controlling the Messages You Receive via E-Mail from Groups.io (docx file)

           ~ André Gide

Shan Noyes

hi i agree It would be greatly appreciated that when the subject changes inside a discussion that the subject is also changed.  because like today i read a few of the  messages and decided that i did not want to read anymore on the specific topic so i just deleted them.  the problem comes up when the subject stays the same but the discussion moves on.  so one has to read everything on a subject to ensure that  they are not  missing any pearls of wisdom.

so please start a new topic if your info has nothing to do with the old discussion  subject.

have a good day.

shan noyes

On Dec 29, 2020, at 6:51 PM, Brian Vogel <britechguy@...> wrote:

[...]

Tim Ford

I just read the nice instructions provided to deal with a string like this, but none of the tricks would avoid blocking the entire string with no regard to the actual topic/subject where the string had changed .  So please think a bit of us folks who need to rely on the subject line; we don’t want to miss something we could use!

Tim Ford