From: "Ann Byrne" <annakb@sbcglobal.net>
To: <main@jfw.groups.io>
Sent: Wednesday, December 23, 2020 8:08 AM
Subject: OCR with HP office pro 8020

So far I can't get JAWS OCR (or Openbook) to scan with the HP Office
pro 8020 all-in-one printer/scannner. Windows fax and scan works
with it with no problem, but although JAWS lists the scanner as a
source, says it is processing, gives no error message ... the scanner
just sits there doing nothing. Any clue how to make the stinker work?

Thanks,

Ann

Ann Byrne

Installed HP smart, which is virtually inaccessible. It might have installed additional drivers, thogh. the scanner works with it, but JAWS doesn't see the controls.

At 08:30 AM 12/23/2020, you wrote:
Did you try installing the associated HP software?
That may open it for use by other devices by properly installing a needed
driver.
Glenn
So far I can't get JAWS OCR (or Openbook) to scan with the HP Office
pro 8020 all-in-one printer/scannner. Windows fax and scan works
with it with no problem, but although JAWS lists the scanner as a
source, says it is processing, gives no error message ... the scanner
just sits there doing nothing. Any clue how to make the stinker work?

Thanks,

Ann

Mike B

Hi Ann,

Have you selected HP as the scanner in Openbook?  If not open OB and press, Alt + A, to open the advanced menu, down arrow to, Device selection and press enter.
You should now be on, Scanner, so tab 1 time into the list of options, arrow up / down to select the one you want, then tab to, Okay, and press enter.
Remember to save your settings.

Stay safe and take care.  Mike.

So far I can't get JAWS OCR (or Openbook) to scan with the HP Office
pro 8020 all-in-one printer/scannner.  Windows fax and scan works
with it with no problem, but although JAWS lists the scanner as a
source, says it is processing, gives no error message ... the scanner
just sits there doing nothing.  Any clue how to make the stinker work?

Thanks,

Ann

Ann Byrne

I have done that. Both Openbook and JAWS acknowledge that they see it, but nothing happens.

At 09:03 AM 12/23/2020, you wrote:
Hi Ann,

Have you selected HP as the scanner in Openbook? If not open OB and press, Alt + A, to open the advanced menu, down arrow to, Device selection and press enter.
You should now be on, Scanner, so tab 1 time into the list of options, arrow up / down to select the one you want, then tab to, Okay, and press enter.
Remember to save your settings.

Stay safe and take care. Mike.
So far I can't get JAWS OCR (or Openbook) to scan with the HP Office
pro 8020 all-in-one printer/scannner. Windows fax and scan works
with it with no problem, but although JAWS lists the scanner as a
source, says it is processing, gives no error message ... the scanner
just sits there doing nothing. Any clue how to make the stinker work?

Thanks,

Ann

Glenn / Lenny

Is it connected directly, or through the network?

So far I can't get JAWS OCR (or Openbook) to scan with the HP Office
pro 8020 all-in-one printer/scannner. Windows fax and scan works
with it with no problem, but although JAWS lists the scanner as a
source, says it is processing, gives no error message ... the scanner
just sits there doing nothing. Any clue how to make the stinker work?

Thanks,

Ann

Pat Byrne

There is no direct connect Glen. Just wifi.
Pat ByrneAt 10:08 AM 12/23/2020, you wrote:

Is it connected directly, or through the network?

So far I can't get JAWS OCR (or Openbook) to scan with the HP Office
pro 8020 all-in-one printer/scannner. Windows fax and scan works
with it with no problem, but although JAWS lists the scanner as a
source, says it is processing, gives no error message ... the scanner
just sits there doing nothing. Any clue how to make the stinker work?

Thanks,

Ann

Glenn / Lenny

Is it connecting directly via WIFI, or is the device connected to the router
going through the network via the WIFI?
It may make a difference.
I've typically preferred to connect WIFI printers to the router and access
them through the network, instead of my computer having to negotiate another
WIFI connection.
Some of these devices you can connect them either way, and turn off its WIFI
and just plug it into the router.

Glenn

There is no direct connect Glen. Just wifi.
Pat ByrneAt 10:08 AM 12/23/2020, you wrote:
Is it connected directly, or through the network?

So far I can't get JAWS OCR (or Openbook) to scan with the HP Office
pro 8020 all-in-one printer/scannner. Windows fax and scan works
with it with no problem, but although JAWS lists the scanner as a
source, says it is processing, gives no error message ... the scanner
just sits there doing nothing. Any clue how to make the stinker work?

Thanks,

Ann

Richard Turner

Do you know if there is a twain driver installed? And if either Openbook or Jaws are using it?

Richard

"Why, what did she tell you?"
"I don't know, I didn't listen."

On Dec 23, 2020, at 8:35 AM, Glenn / Lenny <glennervin@cableone.net> wrote:

[...]

Glen,
There are no ports on the printer.
PateAt 10:36 AM 12/23/2020, you wrote:

[...]

Apparently then Jaws and Open Book don't know how to tell the computer to
change WIFI connections for accessing the device.
Glenn

There is no direct connect Glen. Just wifi.
Pat ByrneAt 10:08 AM 12/23/2020, you wrote:
Is it connected directly, or through the network?

So far I can't get JAWS OCR (or Openbook) to scan with the HP Office
pro 8020 all-in-one printer/scannner. Windows fax and scan works
with it with no problem, but although JAWS lists the scanner as a
source, says it is processing, gives no error message ... the scanner
just sits there doing nothing. Any clue how to make the stinker work?

Thanks,

Ann

Pat Byrne

It is solved Glen. We initially installed H P Smart. This time we had the option to install that package or the entire H P setup package. We chose that option and apparently there were perhaps more drivers or perhaps Openbook being a bit long in the tooth required a legacy driver not provided in H P Smart.
Whatever, the problem is solved and F S has been notified.
Pat, K9JAU

Ann Byrne

So this is what we--I admit, my son--did.

I removed HP Smart application and the scanner / printer from the Printers and Scanners applet. I then went to support.hp.com and instead of using the recommended HP Smart that I used initially I chose 'HP Easy Start Printer Setup Software' under the Software - Utility heading.

This runs for a while and you are presented with options to install HP Smart (Recommended) or Full Driver setup. I chose the latter and now the scanner works with OpenBook as well as with JAWS OCR

Jim Weiss

When I went out to the HP site to see if the full driver was available I also noticed that particular printer has a firmware update also available. You may want to consider upgrading the firmware on the printer to make sure that it is running at its optimal performance.