OCR

Mark Furness

What are the instructions to have Jaws 2018 scan paper documents, or what is the link to read them?

Bill White <billwhite92701@...>

JAWS 2018 cannot scan or read paper documents. It can only scan and read files such as pdf, mpeg or other picture files. Hardware of some type is needed such as a scanner or an all-in-one printer to scan paper documents.

Bill White

Billwhite92701@...

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Mark Furness
Sent: Friday, January 5, 2018 7:09 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: OCR

What are the instructions to have Jaws 2018 scan paper documents, or what is the link to read them?

Jonas Voll

I do not understand your question?

Jaws is a screen reder it is not a scanning program!

It will not take a printed paper and scan it to an digital electronic document.

“link to read them?”

What?

Jonas Voll
Support Technician I
Envision, Inc.
2301 S Water ST
Wichita, KS 67213
O: 316-425-7141
F: 316-267-4312
www.envisionus.com

Envision: To improve the quality of life and provide inspiration and opportunity for people who are blind or visually impaired through employment, outreach, rehabilitation, education and research.

Sent: Friday, January 5, 2018 9:09 AM

SonicWall identified this message as clean.
To manage your junk mail go to https://nospam.envisionus.com 
and 
logon with your domain userid and password.
If you consider this email to be spam please forward it to 
'spam@...'

NOTICE: This electronic mail message and any attached files are confidential. The information is exclusively for the use of the individual or entity intended as the recipient. If you are not the intended recipient, any use, copying, printing, reviewing, retention, disclosure, distribution or forwarding of the message or any attached file is not authorized and is strictly prohibited. If you have received this electronic mail message in error, please advise the sender by reply electronic mail immediately and permanently delete the original transmission, any attachments and any copies of this message from your computer system.

Mark Furness

I have a flat bed scanner and thought the Jaws OCR program  could scan a paper document. I did it once, so I believe OR the change in medication is playing a trick in my head.

Thankyou  for your response, it explains a lot!!!

Mark F.

Sent: Friday, January 5, 2018 10:13 AM
Subject: Re: OCR

JAWS 2018 cannot scan or read paper documents. It can only scan and read files such as pdf, mpeg or other picture files. Hardware of some type is needed such as a scanner or an all-in-one printer to scan paper documents.

Bill White

Billwhite92701@...

Marianne Denning

You can purchase the Purl camera for $295.00 and then you can do what you want. I don't think a flat bed scanner would work but it might be possible.

--
Marianne Denning, TVI, MA
Teacher of students who are blind or visually impaired
(513) 607-6053

Hi, Jonas. The reason Mark is confused about the scanning of paper documents is that JAWS will now scan and read pdf files and some picture files. This led him to believe that there is a way to have JAWS read paper documents. As I wrote to him, this requires hardware such as a scanner or all-in-one printer to accomplish.

Bill White

Billwhite92701@...

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Jonas Voll
Sent: Friday, January 5, 2018 7:18 AM

I do not understand your question?

Jaws is a screen reder it is not a scanning program!

It will not take a printed paper and scan it to an digital electronic document.

“link to read them?”

What?

Jonas Voll
Support Technician I
Envision, Inc.
2301 S Water ST
Wichita, KS 67213
O: 316-425-7141
F: 316-267-4312
www.envisionus.com

Envision: To improve the quality of life and provide inspiration and opportunity for people who are blind or visually impaired through employment, outreach, rehabilitation, education and research.

Sent: Friday, January 5, 2018 9:09 AM

SonicWall identified this message as clean.
To manage your junk mail go to https://nospam.envisionus.com 
and 
logon with your domain userid and password.
If you consider this email to be spam please forward it to 
'spam@...'

NOTICE: This electronic mail message and any attached files are confidential. The information is exclusively for the use of the individual or entity intended as the recipient. If you are not the intended recipient, any use, copying, printing, reviewing, retention, disclosure, distribution or forwarding of the message or any attached file is not authorized and is strictly prohibited. If you have received this electronic mail message in error, please advise the sender by reply electronic mail immediately and permanently delete the original transmission, any attachments and any copies of this message from your computer system.

Hi, Mark. Once you use your scanner to scan the paper document, you may be able to use the resulting picture file through the “Recognize with JAWS” feature to scan that picture.

Bill White

Billwhite92701@...

Sent: Friday, January 5, 2018 7:25 AM

I have a flat bed scanner and thought the Jaws OCR program  could scan a paper document. I did it once, so I believe OR the change in medication is playing a trick in my head.

Mark F.

Douglas C. DeCamp

I think some clarification is needed here. Jaws 2018 can perform OCR on a paper document from either a PURL camera or a flatbed scanner (I have & use both).  The Insert+space bar+a will bring up the selection list to select the device to obtain the document from and will then OCR the resulting  document.  This works quite well and is very handy.

• Hth ---

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Marianne Denning
Sent: Friday, January 5, 2018 9:29 AM

You can purchase the Purl camera for $295.00 and then you can do what you want. I don't think a flat bed scanner would work but it might be possible.

--

(513) 607-6053

Douglas C. DeCamp

Sorry about that. It is Insert+space bar+O then a for the selection menu!I

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Douglas C. DeCamp
Sent: Friday, January 5, 2018 9:46 AM

I think some clarification is needed here. Jaws 2018 can perform OCR on a paper document from either a PURL camera or a flatbed scanner (I have & use both).  The Insert+space bar+a will bring up the selection list to select the device to obtain the document from and will then OCR the resulting  document.  This works quite well and is very handy.

• Hth ---

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Marianne Denning

--

(513) 607-6053

Marianne Denning

Thanks. I wasn't sure a flat bed scanner would work. I forgot that piece.

--
(513) 607-6053

Dave...

Mark,

Yes it can. JAWS 2018 convenient OCR will work with other scanners than just the Pearl Camera, so it does work with hardware. Spacebar+JAWS, then O for OCR, then A. You have a dialog that will allow you to select from any connected scanners or cameras, and to scan a physical document and recognize. Not as full-featured as Openbook, but very handy.

It does require the latest JAWS 2018 build, released last month.

Dave
Oregonian, woodworker, Engineer, Musician, and Pioneer

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Friday, January 05, 2018 07:25

Mark F.

Bill White

Billwhite92701@...

Steve Nutt

Sorry, this is incorrect.

JAWS 2018 can use a flatbed scanner to scan paper documents.  If you press JAWS Key+Space, then O, then A for Acquire, you will be pleasantly surprised.

All the best

Steve

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Bill White
Sent: 05 January 2018 15:14

Bill White

Billwhite92701@...

Steve Nutt

Yes, it can.  See my previous message.

All the best

Steve

Sent: 05 January 2018 15:25

Mark F.

Bill White

Billwhite92701@...

Steve Nutt

Yep it will.  Where is this misconception coming from?

All the best

Steve

Sent: 05 January 2018 15:29

--

(513) 607-6053

Steve Nutt

No, you mean Insert+Space bar, then O, then A.

All the best

Steve

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Douglas C. DeCamp
Sent: 05 January 2018 15:46

• Hth ---

--

(513) 607-6053